[Contest] Holy Spells Contest!

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Achieved all I wanted in this contest. All I wanted was masterful eye candy :p.
If you notice I rarely used normal SFX the resurrection that every one uses is turned and the ones that look like is normal is actually go up instead of down unlike every one else. Congrats to all the winners its been a good competition.

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
I wasnt graded... :mad:
I dont see my name in the Grades list :(

I couldnt download your name, i tried to pm you, your box was full, sorry :eek: nothing i can do about it.. i thought i dled it ages ago.. i searched for ages even using the search button but couldnt find it.. really sorrt! :eek:

> to all those who want individual grades

sorry, dont think i want to, everyone who i give the grades to seems to be hating me within moments and flaming me over msn and depressing me, so sorry but ull just have to live with the totals.

Meowier

Reaction score
I couldnt download your name, i tried to pm you, your box was full, sorry nothing i can do about it.. i thought i dled it ages ago.. i searched for ages even using the search button but couldnt find it.. really sorrt!

> to all those who want individual grades

sorry, dont think i want to, everyone who i give the grades to seems to be hating me within moments and flaming me over msn and depressing me, so sorry but ull just have to live with the totals.

Well then this contest should just be nulled, without reason to scores, there's no point. The reason people are disliking you for the scores, is because you haven't posted the total grading information. You not posting them will really make people hate you, use logic, and just post the results, please?

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
>Well then this contest should just be nulled, without reason to scores, there's no point. The reason people are disliking you for the scores, is because you haven't posted the total grading information. You not posting them will really make people hate you, use logic, and just post the results, please?

Aye, and I'm still not over making the last position! :p
I didn't get a motivation either. :(

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I want to see my individual scores >=O I dun care if I did bad or good. I just want to see where I need to get better.

Also, I had the weirdest dream. I saw my grade and it was like this:

Triggering - UNACCEPTABLE!
Melee - Fine

And I was laughing out loud when I woke up :p

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
okay, I'm back, is there anyone that would mind if I used their spell in the map that I am making? I'll if credits and all that stuff, and as an added bonus, I'll tell you what I like if I use it and dislike if I don't.

You won't get any feedback until my comp is out of the shop (again :(), though

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
W00t Congratulations to everyone, and Pyrogasm for first place. I'm supposed to +rep first place, but I can't rep pyrogasm o_O (There is no Icon for me to click to rep him... :( )

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
I was temp-banned by Silverhawk for swearing. But now that I'm back... well done to Pigger, FrozenYoghurt, and Daxtreme.

———

Here's the thing, Squll2: if you post public grades, everyone will still be unhappy... but at least they'll be able to see that nobody else received any "preferential grading" (I suppose people might suspect this of me) or better feedback on their spells.

I suggest that, should you do another contest, you find someone to judge the coding of the spells before the end of the contest. If it is that you have to do it yourself, make sure that you give yourself time to get the proper, well-done, grades out.

It doesn't matter if everyone's bitching at you to finish the grades. Do it on your own time in a manner that everyone will appreciate. That's why I take a while to do my commenting but in the end people appreciate what they get out of it.

The number 1 lesson to be learned here is this: Give public grades. That's why I said, when I volunteered to grade coding in the Contests Index thread, I said "I will grade coding as long as you give me time to do it and post public grades."

Last, I suggest that you look more closely at the way you lay out your grading scheme:
  • 25% Coding
  • 25% In-game
  • 10% Implementation
  • 10% Icon/Tooltip
  • 17% Animation(s)/Flow of Spell
  • 10% Timing/Sound
I know that's not 100%, but that's because it's rounded.

If you look, you're giving Implementation nearly half the weight of the Coding. What is this? A spell contest or an "I can write instructions for how to implement my spell" contest? Coding == In-game is ok, I suppose, though I think Coding should be favored more. "Sound", "Animations", and "Timing" should all be put into one category that I would call "Fluff", which would have a little weight in the overall grade (versus nearly as much as code).

"Icon", "Tooltip", and "Special Effects" should be put into a category called "Art" that is a fair bit more than "Fluff" but still less than "In-game". Finally, the "Flow of Spell" category could be eliminated, as it's nearly the same as "In-game".

So, you'd have something akin to this:
  • 50% Coding
  • 30% In-game look, feel, and effects of Spell
  • 15% Art
  • 5% Fluff
Which I find to be much more balanced. Of course, you can break down each of those main categories to be as specific as you want, but I think that general layout works fine.

———

Knocksious, yes you may use my spell in your map. But please refer to its thread at Wc3Campaigns.net: Chains of Solidarity

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
agreed

everyone contest I have hosted always has people who do not agree with what you say or think, and that is just the way it is going to be

what matters is whether, a day or two down the road, they forget about it and you are buddies again or not

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
Actually, i am not very satisfy about this...
Anyone would comment it?
Code:
[b][u]Coding -- 14/20[/u][/b]

Is it readable (not messy)? -- 3/5
Is it efficient and simplified? -- 5/7
Is it leakless? -- 3/5
Is it MUI or close to it? -- 3/3

Readabillity .. ergh in the slowtrg start move your comments away from the calls.. god i could hardly ready it. Its pretty efficent but SetUnitState isnt the best way to do things. ive heard. Good its MUI three points.. Leakless pretty good. but. I see some leaks like boolexpr (did i spell that right? lol)

~---~---~---~---~---~---~---

[b][u]In-game -- 16/20[/u][/b]

Does your spell cause any lag? -- 4/5
Does your spell have any nice eye-candy/Does it look good? -- 5/6
Does your spell serve a purpose, or is it just some mass-AoE-nuke? -- 2/3
Is your spell fun to use? -- 5/6

Great in-game lags slightly, doesnt serve too much of a purpose on my opinion.. but.. Its fun to use but quite long. Nice eye-candy but I didnt like the triangles too much doesnt seem thought out enough.

[b][u]Implementation -- 7/8[/u][/b]

Is it easy to import (could a novice accomplish this) ? -- 4/5
Are custom-model dl-sites included (is the model dl site listed in Quests, or on loading screen, for ex?) -- 3/3

Good work on the information supplied about implemention. Finally someone did give some help :P

[b][u]Icon & Tooltips -- 6/8[/u][/b]

Does the icon fit the spell? -- 3/4
Does the tooltip fit the spell? (explain it well?) -- 3/4

Well. what can i say? great. Tooltip i prefer some more colour coding and more information.

[b][u]Animation/Flow of Spell -- 11/13[/u][/b]

Are the SFX used relevant? -- 4/5
Flow (does your spell flow correctly?) -- 7/8

I love the flow, but the triangle circling each other looks a bit messey.. so miss out on top poitns.. SFX used is relevent though.

[b][u]Timing/Sound -- 6/8[/u][/b]

Does the timing for SFX work in the spell? -- 3/4
Do any sounds used fit with the spell - if so, how well? -- 3/4

The Reincarnation sound at start of spell (is it?) isnt all to great.. but the holy light (is that it?) sound is good. The Timing.. Triangle looks to fast but otherwise its all good.

---~~Overall Grading~~--

Total = 60/77

And boolexpr do leak but there is no method to remove it

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
boolexpr do not leak actually

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Well,
Participate in a Constest, if you Argree with all the Conditions, the Judge(s) Set up. It's not like Contests are made just to show who is the Best, it's there to have fun, share Creativity and to Step beyond one's own Boundries...
Could anyone Host annother Contest? :p

0zaru

Learning vJASS ;)
Reaction score
>And boolexpr do leak but there is no method to remove it

call DestroyBoolExpr(<<your boolexpr>>)

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
So... can I get my grades in each part -_-'

It doesn't satisfy me when I see just a big XX/XX. I want to see how I did in each thing.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel the way you grade is wrong, but then you didn't find a judge ;)

Like Pyrogasm said, those grades do not represent a spell. They represent pretty much nothing as minor thigns are being given too many points and major things are being given not enough importance, such as coding readability and too many points given to icons, tooltips and animations.

Well, hope you are learning how to properly host a contest ;)

Remember these things for next time.

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
A boolexpr does not leak. There is no reason for the DestroyBoolExpr(...) function to exist because each boolexpr always returns the same HandleId: BoolExprs, by Vexorian

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
Wow, Pyrogasm, you do really done some research.

I admit it that i wasn't familar to the BoolExprs..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.