[Contest] Speed Mapping

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
SPEED MAPPING CONTEST

allyourbasearebelongtous!

If to ponder about, Thehelper.net hasn't never hosted a speed mapping contest...until this day!

What is this..."speed mapping", you ask. Well, basically, ...uhm, you have to map really fast and produce a excellent piece of art in limited time. Got that?

That was really vague, wasn't it?...

Basically, speed mapping is when one creates a fully playable and functional map in a very little time.

How is it going to work?

1) You sign up.
2) You wait for the contest to start.
3) When it's started, I'll send every contestant a PM containing all the information about the theme/genre of the map.
4) After the contest has started, You have exactly 3 days to complete the map and post it as an attachment in this thread.
5) When the deadline date has passed, judges will take their time and grade the submissions.

The contest will start on the 18th of July and end on the 21st of July 2007.

Theme/Genre: Single Player Mini RPG
Size: Up to 96x96
Tileset: User preference
Time to complete map after competition start: 3 days

Prizes:
- First place 19 +repute, from Andrewgosu, Sooda and 2-P
- Second place 15 +repute, from Andregosu and 2-P
- Third place 11 +repute, from 2-P and Sooda

Rules:
- Both GUI and JASS are allowed.
- Custom models are allowed*.
- Custom icons/skins are allowed*.
- vJass is allowed.

- Flaming and spamming in this thread is not tolerated.
- WIP screenshots are very welcomed! (When the contest has begun, of course)

*Maps filesize must remain under 500 KB

Grading:
The grading process consists of three major parts: the triggerwerkz, the terrain-arcane and the wow-factor!.

Triggerwerkz:
Judge: Andrewgosu

Although both GUI and JASS are allowed, JASS users can earn extra points, because GUI will never be better than fluid, pure, efficient JASS.

Does the code have low/high amount of leaks. -> max +5 points
Meaning, does the game lag after a few minutes; do I get lag every time I cast a spell etc.

- are reals preferred to locations. -> +1 extra point. (JASS)

How efficient the code is. -> max +10 points
Meaning, whether lots of if/then/else’s have been replaced with an loop; is there minimal amount of unnecessary coding etc.

- are only native functions used; no fluff functions. -> +2 extra points. (JASS)

How easily configurable the code is. -> max +5 points.
Meaning, do I have to change a few lines or the entire trigger, just to use a different unit for a trigger’s actions etc.

- are constant functions or globals being used for configuration options. -> +1 extra points. (JASS)
- are descriptive variable names used. -> +1 extra point. (JASS)

Maximum amount of points in Triggerwerkz category:
GUIers: 20 points.
JASSers: 25 points.

Terrain-arcane:
Judge: 2-P

Variety - > maximum 6 points.
Meaning, have you used a wide variety of different doodads/destructibles to enhance the terrain.

Scenery -> maxiumum 6 points
Meaning, did you use only plain forest(e.g) for the theme or spiced things up and used rivers, waterfalls, caves; does my hero get stuck in the middle of a narrow doodad corridor or can move freely.

General appeal -> maximum 8 points.
Meaning, did you terrain properly, in-depth and avoided using randomly placed doodads, patches of terrain tiles to save time; does the finished product look nice to the eye.

Maximum amount of points in Terrain-arcane category:
20 points

Wow-factor!
Judges: Andrewgosu, Sooda

- Originality -> maximum +7 points.
Meaning, does it use never-before-seen ideas, custom units/abilities etc.

- Playability -> maximum +7 points.
Meaning, is it fun to play it, or gets boring after the first five minutes; does it have the wow-factor?

- Compatibility -> maximum +6 points.
Meaning, does everything fit together; does it smack you in the face, when playing it, telling "wow, this rocks!". The general impression.

Maximum amount of points in Wow-factor! category:
20 points

Total amount of points:
60 points + 5 extra

Contestants list
Omni
Waaaaagh
PurgeandFire
Cohadar
Estel3
Uareanoob
esb
Überplayer
Halo_king116
Weyrling
Demonwrath
crazynut999
adampalicki
FrozenShal)ow
FKNCrazy
Twyddli
R-T-H
Hjalle
sevensc
elmstfreddie

So, people, start joining!

P.S I know I'm sexy.

Estel3

Reaction score
Most certainly I am in. My clan (Clan TDG) does a similar thing called the Mapathon every week for 8 weeks in the summer. The last one is this weekend if anyone is interested in getting any practice!

Omni

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I'll join :D

hope the theme will be something cool..

the 3 days wont be a problem as long as its 94 by 94
today i was mapping for 11 hours and the day isnt over :D
(I AM NOT ADDICTED TO THE WORLD EDITOR!! NOT!!!!!!!)

Edit:

>e.g. i dont like TDs ---> i dont want to make one
that will be the same for me,

and; allyourbasearebelongtous!
is a cheat

X

Xeydo

How can we be sure that people didn't started making the map before the contest has started?

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
Nice idea... But kinda unfair to GUI users. There should not be extra points for JASS.
It may be that JASS is more fluid and stuff, but this being true doesn't necessarily make it right...
Besides, the last extra point isn't limited to JASS. :)
I would really love to join, but these days its impossible... way too much work to do.

Waaaaagh

I lost all my rep and my title being a jerk
Reaction score
A possible theme: The Dirty Degenerate Drunken Bastard Brawler Battle of Death!

You know, like a free-for-all kill-em-all off-the-wall tavern-brawl based entirely on alcohol!

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Nice idea... But kinda unfair to GUI users. There should not be extra points for JASS.
It may be that JASS is more fluid and stuff, but this being true doesn't necessarily make it right...

I totally agree with him. I know JASS is better, it's undeniable logic. BUT, it automatically gives those who use GUI a bad start. I mean, a lot of members use GUI, including me (Never been one for coding), and it would suck if half of the contestants get a bonus over us.

Think of it this way... If my map was as good as someone else's, lets say we both got 50 points. BUT, he used JASS, so he got some extra points in there and beat me. Thats just mean :( :p

I think that it may be better, but you should try to keep it fair for everyone. In other contests JASS and GUI are rated the same, so everyone has a fair chance, not only those who know JASS.

My two cents, and count me in I guess. I may decline once I hear the theme - I've been kind of busy lately so hopefully it won't be too hard.

Have a good one! :)

Waaaaagh

Reaction score
Think of it this way... If my map was as good as someone else's, lets say we both got 50 points. BUT, he used JASS, so he got some extra points in there and beat me. Thats just mean.

How is that mean? It's mean that you GUI users ask for help, and then decline it if it involves any sort of JASS. Learn JASS. Also, the JASS over GUI thing includes many things - Versatility. You can't "put that in" to GUI. It's just too hard for others to understand. JASS is clean, efficient, logical. Therefore, +5 points.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Thats just mean :( :p

Bohoo. No candy for you!:p

Anyway, 5 extra points isn't that much. Try to score max points in all categories... The fact one knows JASS doesn't automatically make him gain +5 points, he has to earn them. ;)

I promote using JASS and anyway, the rules have been made. :p

Updated the contestants list.

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
Count me in.

I'd like to say that it is not ok that GUI mappers get less points,
but that is their least problem.

People with JASS knowledge will simply get more points because they
can make better spells.

One important question:

Can we use systems? e.g.
CS_Cashe, or some alternative structs attachment system :D

Waaaaagh

Reaction score
The +5 for JASS is a deciding factor I'd say. If two spells get scored exactly the same, but one is in JASS, and one is in GUI, then kudos to the JASSer, he wins.

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
3) When it's started, I'll send every contestant a PM containing all the information about the theme/genre of the map.

Is this rule for preventing people who didn't sign in in time to enter the contest
or you are planing to send different information to different people?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.