Cool Cliff Mini Tutorial

Steve

Reaction score
Just a little something I stumbled upon on how to make large cliffs.

<>First take the raise tool and select the largest circle.

<>Next make a very large hill in one spot, move the mouse around quickly in the same square several times over to get a large hill.
[img=http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3218/clifftutstep1vx3.th.jpg]

<>Take the plateau tool and drag from the flat water into your hill to make a large indent.

<>Then smooth out you cliff with the raise tool(smooth does not work well)

<>texture it and add some doodads.

<>there you have it, a very simple yet good looking cliff that can be used in several situations.

<>correct me if im wrong here, but I believe units will still be able to climb the hill so some pathing blockers to counter act this. Again if im wrong please correct me.

Sorry about no screenshots(I have one for each step), I don't have a program that will open them, any ideas or a way to convert them please tell me so I can be as helpfull as possible.

S

Sunny_D

I don't have a program that will open them, any ideas or a way to convert them please tell me so I can be as helpfull as possible.

I've got photoshop on the way so hopefully the screens too!

hm... smells like torrent, lol!
admincopfo4.gif

btw, you get better cliff results if you use a miscdata.txt ... hm... i will post a linkt to the download if i find it...

EDIT: here is the link http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32561

(that tutorial in the link covers yours as well btw... )

Steve

Reaction score
well regardless there are the screens for anyone who is interested, just a different way to approach it I guess.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Mmm....Sorry. It doesn't much look like a cliff to me. Looks more like an island with rocks on it where the beach should be. This is because of the smoothness of the transition from water to land. Cliffs are usually a lot rougher than that.

Another way of land blocking (it's the same idea as cliffs - making one part of land innaccessable by sea) is to put doodads in the ocean...making a rocky, dangerous (inaccessable) coastline.

Cliff example
Coast lines
Rocky Coast

Good start! Keep practising.

LordOglog

Reaction score
Yer i use that technique sometimes i reccomend you make the hill alot steeper so it will look more like cliffs. Also yes units can still walk on it press p to see the pathing. Oh and also its a good idea to plateua the top then put on hills and noise etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.