Reaction score
computer specs left is problem computer right is working computer:

CPU: P3 933mhz/P3 866mhz
Ram: 512Meg PC133/256 Meg Rambus 800
Video card: GF4 Ti 4400 128 meg/GF2 MX 400 64 meg
Sound: SB live Value/Same
Nic card: Cnet Pro 200 PCI fast Ethernet Adapter/same
2 CDroms one is RW/DVD and a RW CDrom.
Modem: none/ US robotic 56K voice PCI (non winmodem)

I left my computer on and a character logged into the EQ bazaar zone overnight, about 5am this morning CDT EQ was brought down fo a patch.

I woke up this am. saw that the game was back at the login screen. I tried to get back in the game but when I tried to log on my character I got the "you have been disconnected" message.

I went back to the desktop, restarted EQ, downloaded the patches. When I went to start the game I got a messages that the game could not connect to a login server. After hitting ok on the message, no matter what I did the game would hang (I assume because it could not connect to the server) and I had to do a cntl+alt+delete and end task on the EQ game and get back to my desktop.

I have two computers connected via a router to my DSL modem, my other computer can get into EQ fine, the one that was left on cannot. But both computers can access the internet and my Email so my router and internet connection seems to be working.
---------------------------
What I have done to the computer giving me trouble:

in DOS mode did a scanreg restored to 8/12/2002 backup.

Copied all EQ files that were updated in the last 8 days from the working computer to the one that can't get in the game.

Called Linksys, and we checked out that the router is functioning ok.

Contacted Sony and they said the problem must be with my connection to the internet.

uninstalled EQ (Luclin, Scars of Velious and Kunark). and reinstalled EQ (kunark, Scars of Velious, Luclin). The first time I tried to log in with only Kunarc installed it said something about not finding DNS connection, after installing Scars, and Luclin it said to check my internet connection, that it could not connect to the download server. I couldn't even get to the patch server.

Since both computers run 98SE, I decided to burn/copy onto 4 cd's the entire EQ installation from the working computer. I then copied it into the non working computer. Now once again I can download patches but it will not let me get to the login server.

Talking with Linksys we set up a static IP address on the computer that would not work, but it still had the problem.

copied winsock.dll from the working computer to the non working one

I reinstalled my CNet Nic card drivers.

Removed the Cnet adapter from device manager and reinstalled the drivers from there. however I could not boot up my computer until I restored my registery to 8/12/2002 again. then I was able to boot and reload my drivers for the nic card.

Short of backing up my critical stuff and reloading the OS after a format, I am at a loss as to what to do. This is my main computer, and it would take me a few days to back up the necessary files and reload and reinstll everything again.

I was able to get the computer to work but I am looking for an easy way to fix the original operating system

Reviewing what I did that did not fix problem

reinstalled network card drivers.
set up a static IP.
messed with forwarding on the router.
reinstalled Everquest.
reinstaled TCP/IP protocol
cold restart of DSL modem and Syslink Router.
Copied EQ from working computer to non working computer

What I think I can eliminate
Network card, since it works accessing the internet, Email and other games.
Router, since EQ works with the Dell comptuer and the broken computer can access the internet other than EQ.
Network card drivers, since I reinstalled

Now disconnecting my 40 gig drive and putting in a 3.1 gig drive I reloaded the OS, sound card, network card drivers, Asus required installs. I then installed EQ (all expansions), finally I copied over the 1.6G Dell installation on to this computer (as I had done on my old installation). I tried to run the game and it works fine. So something in the OS is messed up. What I would love to know is if I could somehow copy selected windows folders from this clean install to the old install that would fix the problem.

I have entirely too much stuff installed on the old OS, so if it is at all possible I would like to fix this without reinstalling the OS and all the old software patches and updates on my old 40gig drive.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
hmm mate
since i know you , you allready did all the things needed
what you might wanna try and i know this is one of wargies stabs in the dark and sometimes hitting something .
try the windows auto update
and do me a fav check your comp with atleast 3 DIFFERENT viri scanners , sounds like overkill trust me it isn't

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Hi Wargy

I forgot to mention I checked it with AVP, houscalls.antivirus.com and one other, the name escapes me at the moment.

If by windows auto update you mean running System file checker, well I already did that also. if you did not mean this then I am not sure what you mean by windows auto update.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
it's the auto update thingie u had some much problems connecting last time to .
start somewhere at top windows update

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
The Dell is the computer that has the windows update problem.

I did install the latest patches for the CNT computer, no luck.

I was wondering if I could just copy the windows/system folder from the new install into the old install, if that might fix the problem? Or some combination of selected folders in the windows directory and fix the problem without a reinstall of the OS either overlay or clean reinstall.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
if i would be at your place i would back the shit up
and format and restart from scratch
prolly save ya alot of time trouble shooting .
sounds the os is rather fokked allready

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a second 40Gig drive and doing a clean install on that and then using my old drive as the slave to the new one

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
I took an old 3.1 Gig drive formated it and installed the operating system and all drivers, and the EQ game (as well as all expansions) . I then copied the entire EQ game folder data from the 4 CDs I had burned of the game from my Dell computer.

Guess what, I can now get in and play the game. So something was definately corrupted on the operating system.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.