Cost[Discussion]

WCGMapMaker

Reaction score
Based on all video games to ever exist the common new game cost is $49.99 at least here in california. WoW, Wacraft, Ps2 games and so on. To preorder sc is $59.99 and $99.99, once this leaves for retail stores is it safe to expect the standard price of $49.99 or will it actually go up? Typically with most product pre order prices are cheaper than when it is released however this is not true for all so i am just wondering on your opinions. Id rather not pre order if i can get it from fry's or LA computer for $49.99 when its released.

Discussion part 2

Do you guys believe blizzard cares less about customers every year that passes and more about profit. Following that answer do you believe that the expansions Protoss legacy, Zerg Infestation are simply a ploy to make an additional $100 off of people rather than put it all in 1 package. Expansions are standard for games but it seems like its more about the money this time.

Discussion part 3

They are doing this now with sc2 the last of starcraft, do you think this will be all games for now. Its now time to spend $150 to get a new game rather than the $49.99 we all used to know and love...

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Discussion part 2

Do you guys believe blizzard cares less about customers every year that passes and more about profit. Following that answer do you believe that the expansions Protoss legacy, Zerg Infestation are simply a ploy to make an additional $100 off of people rather than put it all in 1 package. Expansions are standard for games but it seems like its more about the money this time.

I think it more along the lines of making the most out of the Starcraft 2 platform. When you think about it, Liberty takes the longest to make because they have to develop the platform first before the game (as it is with all new games). The expansion packs however is really only a few new units and a new campaign. Ultimately it is profit that funds any organisation. No one can survive without money. When you look at Blizzards cash flow, they don't start making any money until the game is released. So they need to be able to fund themselves for the period of time they have no income. Trying to release all of Starcraft 2 in one go would delay its release and also mean a longer period of time with no income. So although it is financial reasons for releasing the game in stages, it is more out of necessity than financial greed.

Plus the other benefit of releasing the game in stages is to receive feedback in what needs to be improved and fixed in the expansions.

WCGMapMaker

Reaction score
my foresight says that each expansion will still probably cost $50 despite only having some new units campaign and updates etc. and if it is so few despite organization it could all be done in just 1 expansion like warcraft III and TFT except they dont want to sell just 60 for the base and 50 for expansion they want and additional 50, i didnt realized the cost of making games went up 33% in the last year? last i checked the economy has things costing less.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
I wonder what it will cost when the inevitable battle chest for SC2 and all the expansions come out

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
I wonder what it will cost when the inevitable battle chest for SC2 and all the expansions come out

Probably around $70 starting, then in 2-3 years, $40.

punwisp

Reaction score
Based on all video games to ever exist the common new game cost is $49.99 at least here in california. WoW, Wacraft, Ps2 games and so on. To preorder sc is $59.99 and $99.99, once this leaves for retail stores is it safe to expect the standard price of $49.99 or will it actually go up? Typically with most product pre order prices are cheaper than when it is released however this is not true for all so i am just wondering on your opinions. Id rather not pre order if i can get it from fry's or LA computer for $49.99 when its released.

Discussion part 2

Discussion part 3

They are doing this now with sc2 the last of starcraft, do you think this will be all games for now. Its now time to spend $150 to get a new game rather than the $49.99 we all used to know and love...

BLizzard doesn't fail or dissapoint his customers. Constant expansions of WoW are all impressive, when they make a game they always succeed and becomes number 1. I recon Sc2 won't be any different, though I think it won't be number 1.

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
BLizzard doesn't fail or dissapoint his customers. Constant expansions of WoW are all impressive, when they make a game they always succeed and becomes number 1. I recon Sc2 won't be any different, though I think it won't be number 1.

strongly depends on how other developers succeed in producing high-quality games in the next few years.
All I hope for is they don't overdo it with premium pricing, both for WoL and the expansions.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Sc2 has been in development for about 3-4 years. The money they must have used to make sc2 and conduct all the changes to it must have cost Blizzard some money. This is their way of justifying the production of it, rather than canceling sc2 as a failure.

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
While Blizzard makes the game(s), something they are good at, let's not forget that the rest, like failnet 2.0, marketing, sales, ... also needs to satisfy Activision execs and shareholders... and the only thing those are good at is selling, at any cost, if that.

EpicFlux

Reaction score
Yes they do have to worry about share holders and executives but they arn't gonna be happy if the game sucks and makes no money. It's a delicate balance between quality and quantity. To much quality and to much time would hurt Blizzard more then releasing a game a little more timely since they have no solid income till after that game hits markets. Some people argue WoW finances them all the time so in no way should they worry about money. WRONG! Blizzard is constantly working on 3 or more games at once and they arn't just small projects. Blizzard takes on a massive financial burden when putting so much into development. It's just as much as a gamble for them is it is for us when buying a game. I believe Blizzard is doing most of the right things. To many people worried about $60. You don't HAVE to buy the game you know.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.