US News Court Divided After Day One of Guantanamo Case

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
On Wednesday, the U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments for a third time in a major case involving the rights of detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The importance of the case was underlined by the fact that for the first time this term, the court authorized the same day release of audio of the argument.

Even the pre-dawn snowfall did not deter about 73 people from sleeping on the Supreme Court plaza in hopes of getting one of the few public seats for Wednesday's argument. This was a historic day at the high court, and everyone knew it.

The question facing the court is whether the detainees have the right to go into the U.S. courts to challenge their detentions, using the constitutionally guaranteed procedure called a writ of habeas corpus. The Founding Fathers put the writ into the Constitution as a check on the government's power to arbitrarily put someone in prison.

But the Bush administration, backed by the federal appeals court in Washington, contends that the detainees have no constitutional rights because they are being held outside the United States, and that even if they do, the Constitution allows suspension of the writ of habeas corpus if an alternative is put into place that is adequate and effective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Pure and total Bull Shit.
Everyone has bloody rights...

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Exactly. Now figure out a way to pass all the idiotic, modern judging system.

Matemeo

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but all this shows me, is that the Bush Adminstration, (and others, not thinking clearly:() have some worries about what would be revealed if they were allowed the right of trial. Red flag anyone?:nuts:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.