Technology COVID-19 impact: Work from home more appealing than return to 'business as usual,' Harvard survey shows

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Despite potentially longer hours, most Americans enjoy working remotely and want the option to keep doing so post-pandemic, according to a new Harvard Business School Online survey.

As COVID-19 forced countless companies to let employees work remotely and presented new challenges such as readjusting their home life and fighting Zoom fatigue from numerous virtual meetings, most of the 1,500 people surveyed say they excelled and even grew in their professions.

"I think it's a combination of factors, like a Jekyll and Hyde, so to speak," said Patrick Mullane, the school's executive director. "We love working remotely in some ways; it gives us more time to focus, spend time with our families, and no long commutes back and forth to work.

"We found out that we can do a lot without having to be face-to-face as COVID really forced that issue," Mullane said.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A positive note from the Covid lockdown stuff is a whole lot of people got a chance to find out if they were suited to work at home. I have the perfect job to work at home but I cannot get anything done at home so I am cursed to have to get out there. If you have the discipline to work at home you can be very productive and that commute time savings is a real winner over the long term.

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I love wfh and 90% of my colleagues do it too. Most of the remaining 10% have little kids at home that make it impossible

Last edited:

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
‘I have no intention of doing the commute again’: What nearly 2,000 readers said about a return to the office

As more groups of people become vaccinated and some businesses begin to reopen, many in the workforce who’ve spent the past year working remotely ponder their own return to office spaces. Some employers have set dates, and some crafted detailed hybrid models to bring people back at a more gradual pace.

Recently, we asked Boston.com readers how they felt about returning to the office, and how they preferred to work — in person, remote, or hybrid. 1,946 people responded to the poll.

Interestingly enough, a majority — 60 percent of respondents — said that their employer had not yet discussed a plan of return. Some mentioned discussions about voluntary timelines of reentry and informal talks of returning in the late summer or fall.

When polled how they preferred to work, most respondents (46 percent) opted not to ditch remote work entirely, but instead preferred a hybrid model. While close behind, 43 percent of readers chose remote work as their go-to option. Only 222 readers (11 percent) preferred returning to the office.

Read more here. (Boston.com)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.