Crash Without Error

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
I'm using Earth-Fury's SetUnitMaxState system in my map, and under certain conditions it causes the game to crash without an error screen (i.e. poof right to desktop). I did some debugging, and I noticed that the system crashes when the difference between max hp and current hp is greater than ~2.4 million (max hp - current hp). To be more clear, the system crashes when it has to change max hp (in this case decrease it) by more than ~2.4 million. As you can see I am using a sufficiently high max power of 2. What can I do about this? Here is the system code;

JASS:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
//@     SetUnitMaxState
//@=======================================================================================
//@ Credits:
//@---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//@     Written by:
//@         Earth-Fury
//@     Based on the work of:
//@         Blade.dk
//@
//@ If you use this system, please credit all of the people mentioned above in your map.
//@=======================================================================================
//@ SetUnitMaxState Readme
//@---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//@
//@ SetUnitMaxState() is a function origionally written by Blade.dk. It takes advantage of
//@ a bug which was introduced in one of the patches: Bonus life and mana abilitys will
//@ only ever add the bonus ammount for level 1. However, when removed, they will remove
//@ the ammount they should have added at their current level. This allows you to change a
//@ units maximum life and mana, without adding a perminent ability to the unit.
//@
//@ Adding SetUnitMaxState to your map:
//@ 
//@ Simply copy this library in to a trigger which has been converted to custom text.
//@ After that, you must copy over the abilitys. This is made easy by the ObjectMerger in
//@ JASS NewGen. Distributed with this system are //! external calls to the ObjectMerger.
//@ Simply copy both of them in to your map, save your map, close and reopen your map in
//@ the editor, and remove the external calls. (Or otherwise disable them. Removing the !
//@ after the // works.)
//@
//@ Using SetUnitMaxState:
//@
//@ nothing SetUnitMaxState(unit <target>, unitstate <state>, real <new value>)
//@
//@     This function changes <target>'s unitstate <state> to be eqal to <new value>. Note
//@ that the only valid unitstates this function will use are UNIT_STATE_MAX_MAN and
//@ UNIT_STATE_MAX_LIFE. Use SetUnitState() to change other unitstates.
//@
//@ nothing AddUnitMaxState(unit <target>, unitstate <state>, real <add value>)
//@
//@     This function adds <add value> to <target>'s <state> unitstate. <add value> can be
//@ less than 0, making this function reduce the specified unitstate. This function will
//@ only work with the unitstates UNIT_STATE_MAX_LIFE and UNIT_STATE_MAX_MANA.
//@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
library SetUnitMaxState initializer Initialize
globals
//========================================================================================
// Configuration
//========================================================================================

// The rawcode of the life ability:
    private constant integer MAX_STATE_LIFE_ABILITY = 'A03W'

// The maximum power of two the abilitys use:
    private constant integer MAX_STATE_MAX_POWER = 22
endglobals

// System Code
//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Do not edit below this line unless you wish to change the way the system works.

globals
    private integer array PowersOf2
endglobals

function SetUnitMaxState takes unit u, unitstate state, real newValue returns nothing
    local integer stateAbility
    local integer newVal = R2I(newValue)
    local integer i = MAX_STATE_MAX_POWER
    local integer offset

if state == UNIT_STATE_MAX_LIFE then
        set stateAbility = MAX_STATE_LIFE_ABILITY
    else
        debug call BJDebugMsg("SetUnitMaxState Error: Invalid unitstate")
        return
    endif

set newVal = newVal - R2I(GetUnitState(u, state))

if newVal > 0 then
        set offset = MAX_STATE_MAX_POWER + 3
    elseif newVal < 0 then
        set offset = 2
        set newVal = -newVal
    else
        return
    endif

loop
        exitwhen newVal == 0 or i < 0
        if newVal &gt;= PowersOf2<i> then
            call UnitAddAbility(u, stateAbility)
            call SetUnitAbilityLevel(u, stateAbility, offset + i)
            call UnitRemoveAbility(u, stateAbility)
            set newVal = newVal - PowersOf2<i>
        else
            set i = i - 1
        endif
    endloop
endfunction

function AddUnitMaxState takes unit u, unitstate state, real addValue returns nothing
    call SetUnitMaxState(u, state, GetUnitState(u, state) + addValue)
endfunction

private function Initialize takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer i = 1

set PowersOf2[0] = 1
    loop
        set PowersOf2<i> = PowersOf2[i - 1] * 2
        set i = i + 1
        exitwhen i == MAX_STATE_MAX_POWER + 3
    endloop
endfunction
endlibrary
</i></i></i>

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
Try to cause the crash with a hardcoded case (ie replace the function argument with a fixed local, then remove the unused if statement branches, then unroll the loop, etc).

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Are you sure you you're not setting the unit's max HP to be lower than 0? I would imagine negative HP would crash the game...
I know, really lame question, but it has to be asked.

Also, maybe it's simply a problem with displaying health bars, just some engine problem that makes the game unable to comprehend having such a small % of health.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.