Creating Integer from Chat String

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I'd like to do this procedure. I can't get the syntax right in GUI:

Please don't type this in JAZZ unless you can give me a link to a tutorial.

when player Red types a chat message containing <four char int> as an exact match
<four char int> is converted to <int var> Time
set time of day to Time

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
the four char int should be like 2230 for 22:30, 0015 for 0:15?

Use "enters any chatstring",
then in the code check that the string has length 4 and that each letter is a number (I2S(S2I(s)) == s), then split the string in half to get hours and minutes. You can check that they really represent a time if you want.
Then using some formula that you can look up as good as I can, compute the corresponding "time of day". The rest is trivial.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Try this:
Trigger:
  • Time
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing &lt;Empty String&gt; as An exact match
    • Conditions
      • (Length of (Entered chat string)) Equal to 4
    • Actions
      • Set some_real = (Real(((Substring((Entered chat string), 1, 2)) + (. + (Substring((Entered chat string), 3, 4))))))
      • Game - Set the time of day to some_real
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (Time of day: + (String(some_real)))

Attachments

• Time.w3x
    16.1 KB · Views: 362

jonas

Reaction score
"types a chat message containing <Empty String> as An exact match"

Now that won't work

"Set some_real = (Real(((Substring((Entered chat string), 1, 2)) + (. + (Substring((Entered chat string), 3, 4))))))

You forgot the test that I mentioned, unless you want "glhf" to set the time to 00:00.

(. + (Substring((Entered chat string), 3, 4))))))
Game - Set the time of day to some_real

Now I'm not sure what is the conversion formula but I'm pretty sure that's not it.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> Now that won't work
Have you tried?

The trigger isn't perfect. But it does fit the description that was given.
Consider it as a starting point for a more elaborate trigger.

jonas

Reaction score
> Now that won't work
Have you tried?

Trying is for people who don't know abstract interpretation. Empty string as an exact match is only activated by entering "", which doesn't have length 4, so your trigger never activates.

But it does fit the description that was given.

Except for the part of the description saying "when player Red types a chat message containing <four char int> as an exact match", since "glhf" can hardly be qualified as a 4 digit int (and the bug mentioned before, and the conversion which is probably wrong).

Consider it as a starting point for a more elaborate trigger.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Are you suggesting post#2 as a better alternative to the request of the original post?

Perhaps you could kindly provide your correct version instead of saying mine doesn't work, without even wanna try it.

By the way, thank you for your criticism, I will take it as something 'constructive'. I will try my best to perfect my 'abstract interpretation'.

Oh my... This brings back old memories in TH. Awesome.

jonas

Reaction score
I just tried it out. I'm surprised to see that the empty string as an exact match indeed matches anything. I consider this a bug of the engine, and your code an exploit of the bug. Either way it works and Blizz isn't likely to patch it out, so I'll take that part back.

The remaining criticism has been proven by my test.
As I expected, "2350" sets the time to 23:30. Note that an hour is 60 minutes, not 100. Furthermore, "glhf" does set the time to 00:00 (as would any other 4 character string without a numeral representation, like "lol!" or "rofl").

>Are you suggesting post#2 as a better alternative to the request of the original post?

Post #2 contains all the necessary steps, some of which you take and others you sadly skipped. If by better you mean "fulfils the spec" then yes. If by better you mean "can be copy-pasted into my map" then no. But then again, neither can yours since it doesn't fulfil the spec. Point is, why provide something that doesn't work if there is already a solution on the table? Or does Ninva need you to spell out the trigger code for him? Then still you could've taken the solution that exists.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Try this:
Trigger:
  • Time
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing &lt;Empty String&gt; as An exact match
    • Conditions
      • (Length of (Entered chat string)) Equal to 4
    • Actions
      • Set some_real = (Real(((Substring((Entered chat string), 1, 2)) + (. + (Substring((Entered chat string), 3, 4))))))
      • Game - Set the time of day to some_real
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (Time of day: + (String(some_real)))
Perfect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.