Cryptography Questions

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
So I've been trying to update an encryption algorithm I'm currently using (example of output http://pastebin.com/pPtz9UYd)

The algorithm is as follows.

Input a string like an account name and then add a salt value to it (salt value is like the password). Hash this result. Take the absolute value and convert to base 8, then add 1 to each digit. This is now a key.

Example key -> 19455

This key swaps digits. Given 1535395398 in base 10, if this key were applied to it, these are the steps that would be taken.

[1]9455
[1][5]35395398

1[9]455
[5][1]35395398

19[4]55
15[3]539[5]398

194[5]5
155[5]3933[9]8

1945[5]
1559[3]9335[8]

[1]9455
15598[9][3]353

1[9]455
155983[9][3]53

19[4]55
15[5]98339[5]3

194[5]5
1559[8]3395[3]

Input --> 1535395398
Output -> 1559333958

However, this does these swaps multiple times and in different bases. For example, if this same operation was done in base 2, the number would look much different. If this same operation was done in base 2, then base 3, then base 5, then base 3, and then base 2 again, the number would look wildly different (even a different number of digits).

The problem with this encryption operation is the overhead. Converting a number to a variety of different bases is extremely costly. I'm looking for another encryption algorithm that can take a key and a number and encrypt that number using that key without storing any extra data. The encryption algorithm should start becoming effective with at least 8 bits of data and should be much lower overhead than my current algorithm here =).

Beyond the encryption I am using a knuth checksum and a crc. Yes, I could do the crc solo, but the number can be of different versions, so I am actually storing the version into the checksum and using the crc to do final version verification.

checksum = checksum + version
crc = version

What this means is that the crc is there to do out of bounds checking and to ensure that the checksum retains its effectiveness

Oh yes, and I know that by making the encrypted number around the same size as the original number that the encryption actually becomes much weaker, but that's how it needs to be. The size of the encrypted data is very important. I want it to be as small as possible. An encryption algorithm that adds absolutely nothing like the one I have right now is ideal. The problem with this current one is that it freezes for a second whenever I use it =p.

I am not encrypting text. I am encrypting positive base 10 integers that may be between 3 and 140 digits long. I am already using cipher substitution with a generated alphabet on top of this.

If anyone could help me out with this, that'd be much appreciated ^)^.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
any solution that is faster is also likely to be less secure, but I would go with an altered digit swap, such as:

Input --> 1535395398
#1 swap 1 across (1 and 3) --> 3515395398
#2 swap 5 across (5 and 3) --> 3315395598
#3 swap 1 across (1 and 3) --> 3335195598
#4 swap 5 across (5 and 8) --> 3338195595
#5 swap 1 across (1 and 5) --> 3338591595
#5 impossible to swap 9 across, add 5 --3338541595

or something like that, which would be a lot easier for the computer to do (if your data is ever likely to have a lot of repeating numbers, such as all 0's, maybe add random digits to each digit where possible), and if you want to make your encryption more secure, add a number to change the amount of digits you swap across (mine was based on what the digit in the current position was, you can add a digit to it)

also, you can use different keys for each length of input/outputs

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Well, the main hit again is the base conversion. Actually, I did come up with a slightly improved encryption algorithm last night (more secure, harder to guess original code).

For scrambler key, if two side by side digits in the key are equal, set the first digit to (digit1+digit2)%10 and do this for every 2 out of 3 equal digits.

Also, rather than hashing string + string, hash the first string and then push the ascii value of the second on to the first. This makes it difficult to brute force the scrambler key. With just a hash, there is a very small amount of possible values.

Also, if the key is bigger than the number, 1 shuffle = iterate over key. If the number is bigger than the key, 1 shuffle = iterate over number.

As for the swapping, again, that's not the main issue. The main issue are the base conversions =(.

The next thing... rather than using many different prime bases, only base 2 and 3 should be used.

Scramble in this order -> 2, 3, 2, 3

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Just about any block cipher will do, if you are allowed to pad the size to match the block size. You'll probably not find a secure block cipher that operates on blocks smaller than 8 bytes.
The shortest cipher block size I know of is DES with 8 bytes but it's broken. AES variants uses 16 bytes, so if it is acceptable to pad to 16 bytes then AES will work.
If that amount of padding isn't acceptable then this link might help with alternatives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Format-preserving_encryption

Just don't invent (and preferably not implement) your own encryption algorithm if you are doing something that is actually supposed to have some sort of security.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
I already know about FPE =). The current encryption algorithm is an FPE, more specifically a transposition thingie.

phyrex1an

Reaction score
I already know about FPE =). The current encryption algorithm is an FPE, more specifically a transposition thingie.
I didn't link the wiki page to tell you the definition of fpe... I linked it because it mentions and links to many different fpe ciphers, some of which might match your performance requirements.
Or are you saying that you've evaluated them all and need our help to develop a completely new secure encryption strategy?

phyrex1an

Reaction score
Ok, I just implemented this algorithm and can encrypt 140 digits long ints using 8 rounds with different bases in a fraction of a second using a very naive algorithm (using arbitrary sized ints, converting between linked lists and arrays between each round, no compiler optimizations, etc). There is no reason why it should freeze for a full second using a real implementation. Granted, my implementation doesn't handle preceding zeros but that shouldn't effect the speed just the correctness :p

You're not coding this in jass are you?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.