RPG Crystal Crawlers

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
-=GAMEPLAY=-
Zelda (overhead camera) done in Metroid styled exploration based gameplay (collect crap to break open walls to make the map bigger)

Supports up to 5 players, although solo play is beatable, team play will cut your completion time considerably.

-=Systems=-
Attack Mode - Tired of shooters that would force you to push a button then click to shoot a single bullet? Those times are over with a simple Toggle system which allows you to switch your right click from movement to shooting at a whims notice. Note that you cannot move while you are in attack mode.

Part Management - Your weapon, (currently unnamed), is composed of different parts. You can switch these parts at a whims notice by clicking on the part you want to change in your inventory. The only part that cannot be changed while in attack mode is your "Frame" part, which will be explained later.

Damage System - Because this is an attempt in mimicking metroid and zelda, its not complete without invincibility frames! Every time you, the player, takes damage you will take no damage for a few seconds. The same is applied for bosses and mob spawns.

Missiles System - The ranged attacks in this game all go though the missiles system which allows free manipulation of missile speed and ranged though in game abilities.

Your Weapons!
In your inventory, you will have 4 items which will be used to customize your gun. Because I am i good man and im not going to give you a giant list of gun parts to randomly choose from, i have organized them into part specific bags for you to navigate though.

-=Frames=-
These determine how much damage your shots will do and how much mana each shot will take. This also affects how fast you will fire and how you will fire. Take for instance the knight frame, this frame hits a wide area at a low range. The lance frame on the other hand hits a low area at a high range. Switching frames to fit your situation on the fly is the key to victory!

-=Elemental Crystals=-
These crystals determine the elemental affinity for the shot. If a shot hits something with the same element as it then the shot will deal less damage. If it hits the opposing element then it will deal more damage. Is basically what this part dose.

-=Power Crystals=- (NOT IMPLEMENTED YET)
These crystals store energy for the gun, in other words they act as the guns clip. In order to recharge these, you must find spots to charge your mp. These crystals affect your recharge rate and max energy,

-=Missile Attachment=- (NOT IMPLEMENTED YET)
Acts like metroid missiles, shoots to where you point it and packs a big punch. Can also break walls that arnt breakable with your gun.

For those who are seeing this as a blatant rip from Boktai's Gun Del Sol system, ill be frank, it is. Why would i do such a thing you might ask? Because that system is damn awesome.

If you are very confused with what i just splatted on your screen (which i myself am) i have provided a COMBAT DEMO for you which showcases the Frame Switch, Elemental Switch, and Damage Detection systems for this map. The map is unprotected and is coded in GUI (for those scoffing at me for using gui play test the map first +_+)

Also for those who have seen my projects before, thank you for supporting me and sorry for my long absence from these forums, but I'm back now. Also I do plan on finishing this map as after the core is done i can basically mass copy paste units with different elements and the only other hard part is scripting the boss fights. Then the rest is just placement of crap and the rest will fly ^_^.

oh... the story... right right.. that piece of crap that i thought of just 2 seconds ago.

-=To sneak in the Story...=-
You whos name has not been decided on yet, is in what seems like a prison. After a short stay there a crystal erupts from the flooring in your cell sending splinters of wood into your face and body. You take the blow like a man, but because of your wounds your Max Hp lowered from 1000 to 100! Out of curiosity you touch the stone. Its cold. Yes... its very cold... A voice rings from behind you. You could have sworn that you where alone in the cell... A doppelganger? Another You? Oh crap did i just fuck up my dopple line?? No this isnt Black God, get your head out of anime and manga you nameless prisoner... noted a voice from his side. In a split second you find yourself swarmed with 4 copies of you, exact copies.... only they have a mind of their own.... Well then, with 5 of you it would be easy to break out if you just bum rush the cell door and that's exactly what you and your clones do. Conveniently placed a nearby room you find a few sacks of pellets and what looks like to be the handle of a gun.... there's a trigger, but wheres the barrel? Do a barrel roll!! NO!! BAD PSI!! Anyways, that's enough of the prelude, as the rest is your story. Yes... YOUR Story.... not mine! In other words, find your way our of the damn prison and stop making references to games and manga +_+. And yes, your puffy white beard and finely tailored and dyed robe came from nowhere, now stop asking questions mind.

oh my.... what a train wreck... well have fun with the demo ^_^

oh... important important

Tooltips show that the abilities are obviously copy and pasted, so don't comment why the fuck is my sunlight shot named lance frame

Esc to spawn things to shoot at for testing reasons

Elemental Icons do not show on the dummies because their just disposable people of the feet (hence the name footman) and those use the upgrade icons instead of the no upgrade. My map will not have upgrades so setting the same icon for two things is just redundant and noticeable.

Moonshot will return 1, it is actually doing 0 damage. The shot is suppose to burn away whatever your shooting at's mana and eventually stun the thing when the mana is at 0 (you can beat the map without killing a damn thing with the moonlight shot). The shot icon is that of a blue crystal in a C shape, change that item via clicking on it to deal damage before the people of feet slowly hack you away.

Defend is the Attack Mode, its hotkey is A. From there, the most effective method of shooting is right clicking.

Ill let you play around with the frames +_+ enough of my blabbering you guys go have fun with the combat demo. ^_^

Attachments

• DungenCrawl_2.w3x
    144.4 KB · Views: 286

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. I will play the demo soon and return with feedback. For now, I'm logging off so my feedback should come sometime late tommorow. Good luck!

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
bump, i get the feeling that this thread will die off the same way the other threads i have made would die off, having no attention whatsoever T_T

Btw, there is room for 1 frame (attack style) which is left empty in an attempt to bring the community into this project, if you have any suggestions for that one frame please post it here (and yes this is my attempt for getting people to post here +_+... crap i said that out loud didnt i.... oh well) yes.... dont mind my little voice.. he is a bit... erm.. crazy.. yes...

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
I like the systems you implemented.

The shield thingy that makes you invulnerable to damage after taking some is pretty interesting. Prevents mass spamming.

The shooting system is pretty good. I've seen it before, but it is rather good.

I wish you luck, I hope to see the complete version of this where there are more weapons and stuff. I'd love to see some destruction.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
hhh this might take longer then expected, to get the collision to work the way i want, im gona have to revert the collision system to what it was before (i changed the collision to be the missles that are dealing damage, but im gona change it back to the units that are dealing damage (in other words, the units have pheonixe fire now instead of the missles for collision detection)

Updates (not in the test run, will make demo of the first segment of the game after i get the battle system up and running the way i want)
Added a stun system, where if you hit the unit from the back, then the unit will be stunned. When stunned the unit will not receive the Take no damage buffs (stunned status applies for players also) and will take extra damage instead.
Peircing is now a powerup that will allow your bullets to bypass walls and units (think wave beam from super metroid, meaning puzzles that require you to shoot a lever though a wall will be used in this map) (currently making a system that prevents multiple hits from this from the bigger emys when they are stunned <if they are not then invunerability will work fine, but since stunned removed invunerability im gona need to think of soemthing else>)
Added a new firing type, Semi Automatic for the super fast weapons, there will not be automatic because of the nature of the mana system for this map.
Has an acutal story line now (inspired by the shin megami tensei series <post apocalipia, human -> demon transformation, occult>)

Story
You awaken inside a rundown cell of what seems to be an underground prison. The room is surrounded by faintly glowing crystals and the door has rusted off, how long have you been down there? You make your way out of your cell and notice that the other cells are full of dried blood, there is no sign of the body anywhere. You notice the warrens office and decide to put on robes and take his gun, you notice that the items you found are of abundance in that room and quickly leave. Upon reaching the door to the outside world, you find four other people in the same situation, dawned in the same outfit and armed with the same weapon. A bright light engulfs the group and a crystal shard is found implanted into the gun, you hear footsteps closing in. Your group has been ambushed by what looks to be a ghoul, but you and your group make it up to the outside world safely.
A world of rubble and dust lies before you, but rubble isnt all that lurks in this world, black silhouettes of unimaginable beasts roam these buildings. The rest of the group decide to include you into their squad, the 5 of you share the same experiences (see 1st paragraph) and you all decide that roaming these lands solo would mean death. The rest is your epic tale on your survival in this world.

would be its new prologue

But really, all ive done is made a hub world (the area outside of the prison and its surrounding buildings <you are in the core of the city, where big industries set their headquarters. Those buildings are mostly intact makeing them a great place for great demons to dwell, these demons have changed the interior of those buildings into hostile enviroments that you have to traverse though) (of course the hub world will be constantly assulted with demons, but dont worry, when outside you can freely regenerate mana for your attacks, and they dont come out unless you stay in the hub world for too long)

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hmm, sounds like its getting better. I preffer the 'new' prologue in the above post to the one in the first post, even though the're practically the same. Can't wait till you get the first (area/zone?) for this up and running so I can test it out.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
hmm right now im working on new content and its interfaces
Like the command for dashing is a doubble click a singe point gesture
And the Attack command is already in use of the right click

Current Changes
Added a death effect (relates to story) to the monsters
Added a Dash powerup, you can dash by doubble clicking at the same point, the dash effect will last for 2 seconds
Remade the collision system, it isnt noticeable
Peircing effects from the frames is now a power up, meaning frames like lancer and knight no longer passes though units.
Changed tileset to have a Structure based clift type for places where raise lower terrain would look horrible (like inside of a jail, or human made structures)

Hmm.. i guess ill leave a checklist of what im need to finish by the time the 1st area is done

Design of prison
Multiplayer puzzle system (hit switches for the players that are not there)
Magic Frame - Fires a shot that will fly forwards. If you click again then the shot will turn to face that direction. Only one shot can be present from this frame. If youve played MGS2 it should feel like the narita missiles
Barrage Frame - Fires 6 shots outwards in random angles but the shots will curve to face the clicked point
BackStab redesign for the stun system (if hit from the side the stun will last 2 seconds as opposed to 3) If anyone can give the angles for the back of a unit and the unit's sides that would be of great help.
Icons for the frames
Remake of the initalization triggers to spawn a new starter unit (you wont receive your hero untill you reach the warden's room)
Bok (ghoul) attack pattern

Elemental Effects - Will work only if the target is stunned. Effects will not work if the monster's element is the same as the element used against it.
Fixe correct damage with new collision trigger
Fire - Hp Drain
Ice - No movement
Wind - Take extra damage
Earth - No Attack

oh btw this would be my frist time terraining a map (as you can see, every other map had little to no terrain, hell one was even randomly generated!)

Green colored feats are finished
Red colored feats are canceled

Barrage Frame canceled because it's effects can be easily replaced
Elemental effects will not be included in the demo because its creation will take too long (as i would need to put up another system for it)
Backstab did not get help and i would like to get the demo up faster so im saving that for later

avalya

Reaction score
Hmm, gotta say the story sounds epic (I laughed pretty hard when I read it, but really enjoyed it) I'll try it out as soon as I find time for it. :)

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
6 days, ill see if i can get the demo up by christmas (now that the new collision system has been finished it should not take too long!)

btw. why is this being ignored so much? its been here for over a month and it only has ~400 veiws T_T

Mr.Tutorial

Hard in the Paint.
Reaction score
Seems pretty cool, but I got lost half-way through that block of text. I'd like to see a product a little more finished than this map you have on right now. However I'm quite excited to see the outcome of this.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
so i finally fixed up the bullets to work with terrain heights (they will no longer fly up or down) and have no collision with the combination of....

Float move type (they are like ships)
crow form (height)
ghost (visible) no collision

this allows me to spawn bullets without pushing anything aside when they spawn, i am now working on new "base" abilities for my "shoot" skill so you can target unpathable terrain

altho..... as much as i want to finish this game... i also want to port this to the galixy editar.... oh well i have the base concepts down it shoudent be hard to port it over will it?

without this hinderance i might be able to peice togeter a small yet compleatable game before i get a comp that can run said editor

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.