Custom Forums?

MrApples

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
How would I go about building forums on a website, or atleast put a free version onto a site. Like on some sites it says Powered by InvisionFree, which is a free forums service.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
phpbb and vbulletin are free.

I THINK you have to pay for an Invision board, I've seen mostly big companies with those.

Hope this helps (phpbb is the most basic, great if it's your first board, I recommend it :)).

~Jindo

MrApples

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Don't forums need a server? I don't have one so I was wondering about the Powered by InvisionFree thing.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Jindo said:
phpbb and vbulletin are free.

phpbb is free, but vbulletin isn't. I think it is about 300$ for that ^^.
And phpbb isn't very basic, or? Ask ryoko ^^

As a first forum Invension Board is probebly good, especialy since they provide a hosting place to. But don't expect that hosting to be god, you get what you pay for ^^

But if you only want a forum to play with, ie no real user base, then you can run it on your own computer.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Yes, PHPBB is free, and IMO, I DONT RECOMMEND IT. There are so many flaws and hacks for it. Its very unsafe. :D :cool:

P

Persen

phpBB sucks.
Too bad most web hosts that offer "free forum service" in their hosting sevice use it.

There is also SMF, SimpleMachines Forums. It's free.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I use Simple machines, because its very nice, and easy to use. It has more things you can do than PHPBB. And it has a SSI.php, that lets you use the forum stuff on your normal pages (Ex. if a user is loged on, show them extra things, if user is a guest, dont let them view the page, that kind of thing :) )

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I use phpnuke or phpfusion

Freeplay

Reaction score
This sounds kinda cool. my own forum. i could use it for my many mapping projects. Is it Spyware Free or not alot of Spyware or something? Spyware has decimated one of my computers (This is my Hundreth Post! Huzzah! Huzzah!)

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Freeplay said:
This sounds kinda cool. my own forum. i could use it for my many mapping projects. Is it Spyware Free or not alot of Spyware or something? Spyware has decimated one of my computers (This is my Hundreth Post! Huzzah! Huzzah!)

Yea, Simple Machines is leet, and if you care to, check out my site:

http://bakersfieldddr.com

Dont sign up, as its for our towns DDR community, but all my pages are integraded with the SSI included with Simple machines, so it will react with you being a guest, and show you differnt things than the members see :D

Just in case you want to check out the forum software.

Reaction score
dont you need a place to host the smf forums thing?

i really dont know what to do, i have the 1.7 version or w/e and i installed it, now what?

Z

Zero R.

phpBB - Good for a simple forum, but has too many flaws. Could easily take down your site if you're not wary.

vBulletin - Decent.
IPB - Decent. Very Decent.

InvisionFree - free, yes. IPB 1.3, yes. Can put in your own site, no. But you can get a subdomain for it. I think.
Simple Machines - Awesome for a free forum. You know, think of it as a better version of phpBB.
phpNuke - not a forum service. D:

Well, that's it for my own opinion. If you can't judge, I recommend Simple Machines if you're being cheap, and IPB if you want to spend.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.