Other Custom Hero Arena Defense

SwedishChef

Reaction score
Custom Hero Arena Defense

by SwedishChef

Short Introduction:
1. Choose a hero from the taverns.
2. Choose three normal abilities and one ultimate.
3. Now you will fight creeps in your lane, 15 creeps spawn with a three second interval. 10 rounds for every race (Human/Orc/Night Elves/Naga/Undead).
4. Every fifth level is the time for the arena. Here, different modes can be set to alter the gameplay.​

For more information look under the spoiler Map Info.

Click Here to Download

Map Info

Longer Introduction
The map is of the type custom hero and is a mix of arena and lane defense. The goal with the game is to be the only surviving player (or team) left depending on the mode you play. If you and your team beats all levels and the other teams the game turns into an all vs. all in the arena and you will play arena until someone wins.

Choose between 46 heroes from the taverns, all heroes are unique and have different starting attributes and attribute gain per level. A total amount of 55 starting attribute points are spread out on agility, strength and intelligence. Every level a hero gain a total of 7 attribute points spread out on agility, strength and intelligence.

When you have chosen your hero it is time to choose your abilities. There are seven shops from which you can choose your three normal abilities: aura, passives, auto-cast, summon & self buffing, aoe-spells and target spells. Many of them are the basic spells but I have also added some triggered spells to make the game more interesting. The normal abilities have five levels instead of the normal four. When you have chosen your three normal abilities you move on and choose one ultimate skill. You can choose from 26 different ultimate’s which will give you some different roles if you play in a team battle.

When all are done with picking their hero the game will start. The game is built up on rounds. Most of the rounds you will battle creeps in a single lane, 15 creeps will spawn with a three second interval for every round. There will be 10 rounds per creep race and 50 in total.

Every fifth level is the time for the arena. Here, different modes can be set to alter the game play (read below for full list of modes.) For every kill you will gain 5 life’s and 150 gold, if you first blood you will be given 100 extra gold. If you die you will lose 5 life’s but no gold.
Game Modes
All pick: You choose a hero and his abilities, 3 normal + 1 ultimate. You can repick as many times as you want without any penalty by typing "-repick". You start with 350 gold to buy items for.

All random: You get a random hero with random abilities. You can repick up to two times if you like by typing "-repick" but by doing so you lose 75 of your 350 start gold.
Team Modes
Teams 0/2/3/4: Choose numbers of teams that will exist, if you choose 0 teams it will be all vs. all in the arena.

Team Duel: All in the team will fight the other team in the arena.

Random Duel: Random player from every team will battle in the arena. If the chosen player dies whole time looses 5 life’s and if he kills someone whole team gets 5 life’s. As always the killer gets some gold for every kill and first blood but also the whole team will get gold.

Elite Duel: The player with most life’s left is chosen to fight in the arena. If the chosen player dies whole time looses 5 life’s and if he kills someone whole team gets 5 life’s. As always the killer gets some gold for every kill and first blood but also the whole team will get gold.
Arena Modes
Normal: In this arena you fight without anything else which can change the battle. If you kill someone you gain 150 gold and 5 life’s and if you die you lose 5 life’s. The player who draws first blood (kills another hero first) gain a 100 gold bonus. If there are no teams the last survivor also gets a gold bonus.

Underground: This arena is have some things that you should know about to use the arena to the fullest. Firstly, at random positions a spiked tendril will shoot out of the ground dealing 50 damage to units in that area and stunning heroes for 1 second. In the center a "circle of impale" is located. If you are hit by it you will take 150 damage and get stunned for 0,5 seconds. You can turn it off and on by walking on the lever in the center but by doing so you risk to get hit by it.

Goblin Land: Here one clockwerk goblin will spawn from the factory in the center every 2 seconds. These can use the kaboom ability to deal 100 damage to you. There are also two goblin zeppelins flying around in the arena. These will drop mines, when they touch the ground they explode dealing damage equal to 20% of the units in the area and sending them away through the air. The last thing to keep an eye on in this arena is tinker. He will bombard a random spot in the arena dealing damage to the units in the area and stunning up to 1 second.

Extra Settings
Creeps: Set number of creeps which will spawn on every round.

Lifes: Choose number of life’s all players start with.

Arenas: Choose number of times you will play in the arena on every arena round.

Changelog
Balance:
*Frost Guard now dosn't trigger on illusions attack
*Halfed Rain of Fire's damage per wave & increased dmg/second by 5 per level
*Vampiric Attack now gives 12/14/16/18/20 % steal on attack (30% on level 5 before)
*Changed Infernals levels to 2/4/6 instead of constant 8
*Impale damage lowered to 100/125/150/175/200, stun on heroes lowered to 1,5 (from 2) seconds and stun on units improved to 3 seconds (from 2)
*War Stomp stun improved to 3 (from 1,5) seconds damage rebalanced to 100/125/175/225/300
*Illusions now take 250/225/200% damage instead of constant 300%
*Lowered Pulverize damage by 25 on all levels

Changed Stats Interferance:
*1 Strength now gives 19 hit points (from 25)
*1 Agility gives 1% attackspeed (from 2%)
*1 Intelligence now gives 13 mana (from 15)

Gameplay & Visual:
*Removes the number of creeps option sinced it made the game unbalanced
*Your hero is now selected when the arena starts
*Reduced Anya's model size
*Increased Fountain of Life's regeneration area
*Fixed some typos
*Changed player 9's interferance color
*Fixed all ultimates learn and cast hotkey (I had forgotten to change some to E)
*New Round timer decreaed from 45 to 35 seconds
*Time to choose hero reduced from 5 minutes to 4 minutes

Code/bug fixes:
*Fixed a bug with new teleport system
*Fixed a bug with Mirror causing Wand if Illusions to appear when it procs on infernals
*Fixed "Player has finished" bug
*Fixed the bug which could cause creeps to get stuck
*Fixed Natures Hand bug
*Fixed Berserk attackspeed

Screenshots

A screenshot of the new way of picking modes. This will give the player more time for choosing and also enable him to change a choice he has made.

Also take note of the new minimapicons where you choose your abilities

A screenshot of the new arena Goblins Land. The arena looks a bit different now on the release but have the same features.
Features:
-Goblin Zeppelin dropping mines which explode on landing. Same effect as before.
-Robot Tinker bombarding a random area in the arena, damaging and stunning.
-Clockwerk Goblins spawning in center dealing damage on death.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
OK here's the link.

That's all I can do. I can't add anything though, I don't feel like it, so you make the paragraphs, sections (Screenshots, changelog, features, etc.) and I'll modify the layout time to time.

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
I will have to check this out. I for some reason though scientific was in charge of this operation.... ANYWAY; I have played your older version a handful of times and found many... many... many... problems and errors with it. Looking at your change log, it seems you have put a lot of effort into fixing them. I will check it out a few times and get back to you.

SwedishChef

Reaction score
Well I am Scientific but my name on battle.net is SwedishChef so they fixed my name here. You don't have a clue how long time I spent fixing all those bugs, hopefully I was successfull.

There is still one bug that I know can happen if a player leaves directly after an arena has ended and a new arena begins (a 5 second period I think) and at the same time the there are only two players playing against each other (1v1). But the chance for all that to happen is minor so I decided to fix it for next version since people have been waiting so long.

Oh regarding the problems, was there any more than the bugs that you reffered to?

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
I only got 1 game in; and I couldnt find any problems. I would have to play at least a dozen games before I could comment on balance. But, it does look very well done.

To fix pretty much every problem with leavers in CHA I made a nice little trigger (in my unreleased edit) Whenever a player leaves, or is kicked or whatever; It runs a trigger. Said trigger checks to see how many players are in each team (player groups) and if 1 team has 0 players, it disables all the duel triggers. Since yours is 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1.... you could simply check if there is 1 player left in players controled by player type user; move unit to 'base' turn off all triggers that make duels run; and restart the trigger that would be run when a duel ended.

I will try to get some more games in this week, and take a look at balancing and items and such. This edit is a LOT better than the last though :)

SwedishChef

Reaction score
I only got 1 game in; and I couldnt find any problems. I would have to play at least a dozen games before I could comment on balance. But, it does look very well done.

To fix pretty much every problem with leavers in CHA I made a nice little trigger (in my unreleased edit) Whenever a player leaves, or is kicked or whatever; It runs a trigger. Said trigger checks to see how many players are in each team (player groups) and if 1 team has 0 players, it disables all the duel triggers. Since yours is 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1.... you could simply check if there is 1 player left in players controled by player type user; move unit to 'base' turn off all triggers that make duels run; and restart the trigger that would be run when a duel ended.

I will try to get some more games in this week, and take a look at balancing and items and such. This edit is a LOT better than the last though :)

Yeah I have a similair trigger but I think mine is more advanced. You can take a look at it if you want and you will understand. :)

SwedishChef

Reaction score
Updated! I have focused this update on adding some extra features so the game will be easier and funnier to play. I have added no extra heroes, abilities or items but I will do that in the next version along with some great balancing. If you have any tips feel free to PM or email me.

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
Actually, his game is a little more unique than a lot of games. To sum up very quickly; after making your custom hero, you defend your single lane from a wave of bad guys. Like a hero defense... You get ported back to base every time to shop. Unlike any other game of that type that I have played, this has a pvp arena; every 5 rounds there is a FFA arena.

I am partial to games where you can build your own here; and this has a little more kick to it than most hero defense games. I believe it is one of the more popular hero defenses also; so some people must agree.

chef; alright. I am busy most of the weekend (snowboarding before it gets to warm) but I will check it out tonight and tomorrow and get back to you ^_^

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble for double posting... I am typing this up while I play a game so I don't forget what I find.

1) The options at the very start; you should make the "required" ones have a default value; and the line about pressing escape to continue should be more visible, err prominent. That way, noob players don't end up screwing things up if they don't know what to do.

2) Hero balancing; I'm glad you have taverns that display a lot of information about the heroes. I couldn't help but notice some heroes had a 1.5 BAT, while others have a 2.2 BAT. As far as balance goes; that is extreme. Max attack speed is 400%; a 1.5 BAT hero has .375 attack speed. 2.2 is .55. That is more than a 50% DPS difference based on attack speed alone. With only 100 IAS that is still 12%.

3) Skill Information. Tooltips are annoying... However, a skill that says "converts some damage to life" doesn't tell a player enough about it. It could convert 5% (useless) or it could convert 50% (OP) Adding another line to display damage in the skill houses would really help players be informed about their builds.

4) More skill balancing... Passives are strong! I am playing right now.. while typing.. because I have a full passive build on the hero with the lowest BAT. I got life steal, bonus damage, evasion, and the one that makes clones of guys who hit me. I can type on here without losing a single life; and I dont play this game enough to be this good at it. **Just tabbed in, 2 levels later, still full HP.

5) A friend of mine just told me there is a windwalk bug? Someone stayed invisible, and could attack while invisible, and never became un-invisible. He won every arena without taking a single damage.

6) Minor things: Hex on rune-blade is disgustingly strong. The scoreboard says "lifes" rather than "lives".

That's all I got for now I guess... The game is a lot better than it used to be; balance is still a big issue though. There are a few builds (like the one I picked) that make the game completely boring... I have thousands of gold saved up, and am on facebook while the game plays out. You want a lot of builds to work; but you dont want them to work easily.. Players shouldn't be allowed to go 10 levels without looking at the game. They should do better based on how hard their build is to use. Like summons+auras (which doesnt work too well, considering it is well thought out).

Maybe when i get 4.0 public of CHA, i can have my clan step in and do some balance-testing for you. It takes a lot of viewpoints to finally get skills in the area of what they should do.

***Edit*** The game finally ended; 83 minutes; and the next level timer stopped; and it said "time for duel" when i stepped on the circle, but nothing happened. I assumed that is the end. Gotta make it harderrrr ^_^

SwedishChef

Reaction score
Im sorry but another Hero Defence. Can i ask what is different?

Try it out and see how you like it. At least I think it is original and my main focus so far have been to add content which will make the game funnier and easier. So I haven't added much abilities and items but there are some very unique spells there anyway.

So my best answer must be to test it or read the description I made (but it ain't very describing). Oh and btw this aint some new map it have been around for a while.

Actually, his game is a little more unique than a lot of games. To sum up very quickly; after making your custom hero, you defend your single lane from a wave of bad guys. Like a hero defense... You get ported back to base every time to shop. Unlike any other game of that type that I have played, this has a pvp arena; every 5 rounds there is a FFA arena.

I am partial to games where you can build your own here; and this has a little more kick to it than most hero defense games. I believe it is one of the more popular hero defenses also; so some people must agree.

chef; alright. I am busy most of the weekend (snowboarding before it gets to warm) but I will check it out tonight and tomorrow and get back to you ^_^

This sums up the map pretty good also. I saw that you had one more post so I will read that also. Thanks!

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
Well i dont play hero defence's but i just wondered because i see 1000s of them and all the same...

SwedishChef

Reaction score
1) The options at the very start; you should make the "required" ones have a default value; and the line about pressing escape to continue should be more visible, err prominent. That way, noob players don't end up screwing things up if they don't know what to do.

Okey I will probably fix this. How does it look like for you? Isn't the "Escape" text white? You have the 1.06 version now right? **EDIT** I was wrong I hadn't made the escape text white but will do so now. But the Wind Walk but is at least fixed.

2) Hero balancing; I'm glad you have taverns that display a lot of information about the heroes. I couldn't help but notice some heroes had a 1.5 BAT, while others have a 2.2 BAT. As far as balance goes; that is extreme. Max attack speed is 400%; a 1.5 BAT hero has .375 attack speed. 2.2 is .55. That is more than a 50% DPS difference based on attack speed alone. With only 100 IAS that is still 12%.

Hm yeah obvios :p. I need some real help with the balancing so much to think about. But this and adding more abilities and items will be my main focus for next version.

3) Skill Information. Tooltips are annoying... However, a skill that says "converts some damage to life" doesn't tell a player enough about it. It could convert 5% (useless) or it could convert 50% (OP) Adding another line to display damage in the skill houses would really help players be informed about their builds.

Tooltips when you choose skills or when you have the skill?

4) More skill balancing... Passives are strong! I am playing right now.. while typing.. because I have a full passive build on the hero with the lowest BAT. I got life steal, bonus damage, evasion, and the one that makes clones of guys who hit me. I can type on here without losing a single life; and I dont play this game enough to be this good at it. **Just tabbed in, 2 levels later, still full HP.

Hah okey :p.

5) A friend of mine just told me there is a windwalk bug? Someone stayed invisible, and could attack while invisible, and never became un-invisible. He won every arena without taking a single damage.

Yeah the wind walk bug appeared in the previous version but I fixed this. Did your friend have the newest version?

6) Minor things: Hex on rune-blade is disgustingly strong. The scoreboard says "lifes" rather than "lives".

Okey I will reduce and fix.

That's all I got for now I guess... The game is a lot better than it used to be; balance is still a big issue though. There are a few builds (like the one I picked) that make the game completely boring... I have thousands of gold saved up, and am on facebook while the game plays out. You want a lot of builds to work; but you dont want them to work easily.. Players shouldn't be allowed to go 10 levels without looking at the game. They should do better based on how hard their build is to use. Like summons+auras (which doesnt work too well, considering it is well thought out).

Agreed, but you are having the 1.06 version right? Since I almost halfed the gold given by creeps kills :p.

Maybe when i get 4.0 public of CHA, i can have my clan step in and do some balance-testing for you. It takes a lot of viewpoints to finally get skills in the area of what they should do.

That would have been great, I have some doing some beta testing for me but they ain't very active it seems :p.

***Edit*** The game finally ended; 83 minutes; and the next level timer stopped; and it said "time for duel" when i stepped on the circle, but nothing happened. I assumed that is the end. Gotta make it harderrrr ^_^

Yeah harder makes it funnier. I thought of adding more abilities to the creeps and make it harder and more varied that way. Thoughts?

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
Dont double post.
I still dont like hero defences. Maybe if some1 hosted it on bnet i would join.

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
He is from Northrend, and it is hosted a lot there. I am glorn2 on east; I will host one for you if you want.

To answer your questions chef:

1) For the starting page, there was kind of a block of orangish text under the options; and, well, noobs don't read blocks of text. Lower it down to 1 line, with space above and below it saying, "PRESS ESCAPE WHEN DONE SETTING MODES" In a vibrant RED. Red makes it look important!

3) The tool-tips where you select the skills from the taverns. You give players plenty of pick time; but it is a waste if they cant compare what skills do.

5) I'm not sure what edit he played, if you fixed it in .06 then I assume it is fixed. He just whispered me while I was testing to tell me about it.

And yeah, I was playing 1.06. Gold almost wasn't an issue. I almost died on the... second wave? Maybe third. I forgot to buy an item for the round. But after than, I doubt I had lost more than 10% of my life. One thing I noted, that I believe would slaughter most players. the Level with the Naga Royal Guards (i think so at least) if you have summons out, they cast a crushing wave; which is spell damage. I don't believe I saw any form of spell damage reduction. Almost any player with summons that didn't use my build would get destroyed there by the spell damage. But yeah; I had so much attack speed, combo'd with bonus damage and life steal, that my life couldn't go down. When I finished the game I still only had like 2000 HP; but like 300 damage, and 300% faster attack.

As far as creeps, yeah, you really gotta add some uniqueness to the fights, and make it harder. If players are getting killed on level 10, they will want to remake and play again, and learn to get past it. You cant do this by simply making the levels disgustingly strong; or it will get boring. Throw in some unique aspects, so players can "learn" how to beat various levels. Spell damage is a decent way to go; so long as it isnt really high, and there are items that people can get before that level to reduce it. Maybe splitter levels, where killed units split into 2 weaker ones; to promote the use of AoE skills. After you add a handful more skills, start looking at skill types, and think of what they would be best situated for. Make certain skills extra strong against various waves, like the examples given above.

Another good idea; integrate creep waves. Maybe throw a champion or two into waves, that give off an aura. Make 1 outta 3 creeps that spawn be a creep with a heal. Give some 50% spell reduction, make other have higher HP, but take 50% more damage from skills. (runic bracers or something like that in object editor). Right now you have a couple of waves that have skills; but they all have the same skill. They pop out, and spend 2 seconds casting while you kill them. OR they spend the entire time healing each other, rather than attacking. Having a variety in the spawns would make levels more interesting, and would cause players to make a killing order.

^^Hopefully the above should give you quite a few ideas to work with. If you have anymore questions, just ask. If you would like; I can host your project up on my site also; it is a CHA forum, but I could give you a section just to post up your updates and get feedback from them. Considering it is the CHA community, I bet they could give you the best type of feedback. *shrugs* they've kept me in line for the past year...

SwedishChef

Reaction score
Okey good points of view. I got an idea for the next version now. It would be great if I could get a section of your site. That would have been very helpful indeed :).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.