Custom Hero Skill Picking System

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
Hell, I edit/am remaking the wonderful game "Custom Hero Arena" and am looking for a way to remake the skill system without using baka-ranger or anyone else' system.

I already have all the skills made as hero skills. I already have all the items made to go with the purchasing of the skills that lead to the hero learning the skills.

the current skill purchasing system works; though in the skill selection part; there are no icons or tooltips to go with the skill you have selected. Variables and integers are used and changed to level the skills when you click to level up the dummy skill.

What I have in mind is a bunch of if/then/else statements for each skill learned.

Example:
Event: A unit acquires an item
Condition: Item is a charged item type (all offensive skills are charged item types)
Action:
-If: Item is "Blizzard"
-then: Hero learn skill "Blizzard"

And doing this for all of the skills. I know that if/then actions are rather sloppy, and frowned upon. When everyone has picked their heroes these triggers will be turned off. If a player wants to repick; I would simply remove all skills learned by them. If a player wants to random, I do the same system I have now. Give player a random level 1 item of type "charged"

Any ideas? Suggestions? Could this system work? Would it cause a lot of lag? (I got leaks covered)

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
It is good that you want to use your own custom triggers, however there are some systems out already that work real well, like baka's of course.

Now if your set on making your own I would sugest you remember to add skip remaining actions after each abilty trigger, this will save some prosseing time.

You can simplyfy it all by using loops and varible arrays for the skills.

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
I would have used bakas if my skill system wasnt already set up how it is. To remake every level of my hero skills as normal skills would take a longggg time. It would be over 1000 skill being made, I am trying to find an easier way around it. **just clarifying, I havent read his post in like a year... It is to make each level of the skill as a normal skill, and to then replace the skill with the higher level version of the skill, right?**

For variables, how would it make everything quicker? I dont understand variable arrays that well, so usually end up doing this the hard way, or less effecient way.

Say I make the variable Array "Off_Skills"
then i set every offensive skill to a number in that array.
wouldnt the if/then still be:
-If: Item is equal to "Off_Skills(1)" (AKA blizzard)
-then: Hero learn skill "Off_SKills(1)" (AKA blizzard)

is that how it would be set up? And would this increase performance?

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
All the arrays realy do is make it neater for you, adding the skip remaining actions will increase the the performance by ending the the trigger earlyer then it would normaly end. Other wise it will keep going thru all the abilitys even after it runs the one you used.

As for baks's, it is slightly defrent now,
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45302

This is baka's system, When I toyed around with it, it worked real well, I however did use slightly defrent triggers. :)

For the varible arrays you will need multiple V-Arrays, 1 for the ability, 1 for the item, then on MI just set the arrays how you posted, item 1 = blizzard item, ability 1 = blizzard ability.

Then set the for each interger from 1 to (number of abilitys you have.)

I prefer doing it this way cause if you add a new ability you only have to edit 1 number in the ability trigger and add 2 or 3 (depending on the system you're using) set varibles to the MI trigger.

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
my above idea doesnt work. Really, what I am looking for is a way for the icon and tooltip of the spell to be in the heroes "Level this skill" screen, without having to re-write all of my abilities. The more I look into it, the more impossible it seems. I can't seem to find a way to even add or remove a hero ability to that screen via the use of triggers.

Hmmm, using baka's system, your opponents would be able to see what skills you are picking. I wonder if I could remove an item as soon as it is purchased with his... Bah, I dont have the ambition to make 100 (soon to be 140) engineering upgrades and channels. I will prolly end up setting the system up and asking a clan mate to fill in all the blanks and add all the skills/channels/upgrades to it.

Just a general question to anyone who has played Custom Hero Arena, is it annoying that you cant see your skills picked on the hero's spellbook, or have we all become numb to it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.