System Damage

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
is there a way to block percent of damage taken? if not, why don't you replace this:
JASS:
public function BlockAll takes nothing returns nothing
    set ToBlock[TypeStackLevel]=ToBlock[TypeStackLevel]+GetEventDamage()
endfunction

with this:
JASS:
public function BlockPercent takes real percent returns nothing
    set ToBlock[TypeStackLevel]=ToBlock[TypeStackLevel] + GetEventDamage()*percent
endfunction

percent being any number between 0 and 1

I've changed it like that for my map (hope you don't mind) and it works
You can write a wrapper function.
JASS:
function Damage_BlockPercent takes real percent returns nothing
    call Damage_Block(GetEventDamage()*percent)
endfunction

Best approach, doesn't touch the library. I believe it will inline, too. :)

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™

muzk

:D

JASS:

function UnitDamageTargetEx takes unit whichUnit, widget target, real amount, boolean attack, boolean ranged, attacktype attackType, damagetype damageType, weapontype weaponType returns boolean
        local boolean result
        set TypeStackLevel=TypeStackLevel+1
        set TypeStackValue[TypeStackLevel]=damageType
        set TypeStackAttack[TypeStackLevel]=attack
        set result=UnitDamageTarget(whichUnit,target,amount,attack,ranged,attackType,damageType,weaponType)
        set TypeStackLevel=TypeStackLevel-1
        return result
    endfunction

I don't understand it. Why arrays and not just non-array globals?

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Because of recursion. Although it would be more efficient (and more intuitive) if he did something like this:

JASS:
function UnitDamageTargetEx takes unit whichUnit, widget target, real amount, boolean attack, boolean ranged, attacktype attackType, damagetype damageType, weapontype weaponType returns boolean
    local boolean result
    local damagetype dt = DamageType
    local integer ia = IsAttack
    set IsAttack = attack
    set DamageType = damageType
    set result = UnitDamageTarget(whichUnit, target, amount, attack, ranged, attackType, damageType, weaponType)
    set DamageType = dt
    set IsAttack = ia
    set dt = null
    return result
endfunction

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
It is not much more efficient, according to my FPS tests, what is going to matter is repeat-referencing because you are returning a scalar via GetEventDamageType instead of an array lookup, for example. It saves creation of globals and global arrays as well. It's probably easier to code it your way but it's definitely lighter on the processor by hashing it into some locals.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
It is not much more efficient, according to my FPS tests, what is going to matter is repeat-referencing because you are returning a scalar via GetEventDamageType instead of an array lookup, for example. It saves creation of globals and global arrays as well. It's probably easier to code it your way but it's definitely lighter on the processor by hashing it into some locals.
FPS tests... lol, back in my day it was benchmarks or don't say anything.

If you care about that sort of efficiency, you should only have one trigger firing off Damage, and then fork through a tree structure to only fire the correct event responses based on what type of damage, if it's an attack, etc. Isn't this is the most efficient way to support that, since GetEventDamageType would only ever be called once each time?

And if you don't care about that sort of efficiency, good on you, you might even complete a map! :D

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
RtC benchmarks don't work any more, so now it's pretty much FPS tests or don't say anything.

kStiyl

I'm having a strange bug with this system

If I add some kind of ability (ex. slow aura-based debuff) on the damage event, Damage_Block seems to bug (it won't block any damage)

I've tested it on your demo map by just switching your demo code with this library below.

After making an attempt to debug this, I found that adding an ability triggers the event.
I do not understand why this would bug the system though; isn't it supposed to be recursive?

I fixed this bug temporarily by adding GetEventDamage() > 0 on 'onDamageActions' in damage library

JASS:
library Test initializer onInit requires Damage

private function onHit takes nothing returns boolean
    	call Damage_BlockAll()
        call UnitAddAbility(GetTriggerUnit(), 'Aasl')
        call UnitRemoveAbility(GetTriggerUnit(), 'Aasl')
        call UnitRemoveAbility(GetTriggerUnit(), 'Basl')
        return false
    endfunction

private function onInit takes nothing returns nothing
        local trigger trg = CreateTrigger()
        call Damage_RegisterEvent(trg)
        call TriggerAddCondition(trg, Condition(function onHit))
        set trg = null
    endfunction

endlibrary

Would appreciate it if you give me a solution. I'm having a huge problem because this is continuously interfering with my debuff system =( (poison, stun etc.)

Mr_Bean355

The test scope. I think it is meant to block all damage in the demo map, but when I test it, nothing happens. Unit receive damage as normal. I re-downloadede the demo map and tested it without changing anything - still didn't help.

BlackRose

Forum User
Indeed it is meant to block all damage in the demo map. Strange how nothing happens upon testing. It should work without any editing. Place debug messages in the function to see if the code is actually running.

Mr_Bean355

JASS:
scope NoDamageOnMap initializer StartZeroDamage
private function BlockAllDamage takes nothing returns boolean
call BJDebugMsg("Damaged!")
call Damage_BlockAll()
return false
endfunction

private function StartZeroDamage takes nothing returns nothing
local trigger t=CreateTrigger()
call TriggerAddCondition(t,Condition(function BlockAllDamage))
call Damage_RegisterEvent(t)
endfunction
endscope

Nothing displays :eek:

EDIT: Turns out the issue was the JASSHelper version I have. The latest one (by Cohadar) compiles the map in a strange order, meaning Damage won't work for pre-placed units. After down-grading to an earlier version of JASSHelper, it works fine.

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
So does this system discard "damagetype"s like DAMAGE_TYPE_ACID, DAMAGE_TYPE_COLD, DAMAGE_TYPE_DEATH, DAMAGE_TYPE_DEFENSIVE, etc... and instead uses only 3 damage types, physical, magical, and pure?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I have a GIF though
    In the GIF, I've configured it so the lower the "Main Value" is, the better. I had to compress it pretty far down though.
    And this is the thread with the video that shows the wall clip. https://tasvideos.org/Forum/Topics/23453
    +2
    Hmm, about the Headline News, I noticed threads are being moved into the subforum (Health News, Environmental News, etc.). When that happens, the TH Forum Home page loses the articles, and instead would show old articles posted 1 or 2 weeks ago.
    What do we do with the Home page?
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I added those forums to the filter for that widget.
    +1
    Oh nice. They're back. Thanks.
    Now I think it makes more sense for me to put news in their own subforums, without worry.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Awesome Ghan thanks! I was purposely not moving the first 15 news articles in Headline news to the different subforums but I guess I don't have to do that now?
    Question: Is there a way to remove thread redirects? It creates a copy of the moved thread and takes up space, and I am leaning towards wanting to remove them in the Headline News. But if they have an expiration date, I guess I'm fine with it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you move a thread please leave a permanent redirect. You can delete any redirects after 6 months. The redirects are left to help Search Engines find the moved content.
    What if you move the permanent redirect, not the thread?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think that works but I have not messed with it. You can delete redirects though if you have to that will not delete the original thread
  • The Helper The Helper:
    if a redirect ends up in the same forum as the post it goes to though I think the redirect drops or fails or something but they are not bugged out and when you are working on an indirect the original post is safe.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Early Friday :)
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday :)
    Fun Friday for me
    Happy Fun Friday to all.
    +2
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Sunday everyone!!!
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Sunday!!!
    +1
  • jonas jonas:
    Happy monday :p
  • jonas jonas:
    Everyone hates mondays?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Tuesday!
  • jonas jonas:
    Happy belated tuesday

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.