System Damage

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
is there a way to block percent of damage taken? if not, why don't you replace this:
JASS:
public function BlockAll takes nothing returns nothing
    set ToBlock[TypeStackLevel]=ToBlock[TypeStackLevel]+GetEventDamage()
endfunction

with this:
JASS:
public function BlockPercent takes real percent returns nothing
    set ToBlock[TypeStackLevel]=ToBlock[TypeStackLevel] + GetEventDamage()*percent
endfunction

percent being any number between 0 and 1

I've changed it like that for my map (hope you don't mind) and it works
You can write a wrapper function.
JASS:
function Damage_BlockPercent takes real percent returns nothing
    call Damage_Block(GetEventDamage()*percent)
endfunction

Best approach, doesn't touch the library. I believe it will inline, too. :)

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score

muzk

Reaction score
:D

JASS:

function UnitDamageTargetEx takes unit whichUnit, widget target, real amount, boolean attack, boolean ranged, attacktype attackType, damagetype damageType, weapontype weaponType returns boolean
        local boolean result
        set TypeStackLevel=TypeStackLevel+1
        set TypeStackValue[TypeStackLevel]=damageType
        set TypeStackAttack[TypeStackLevel]=attack
        set result=UnitDamageTarget(whichUnit,target,amount,attack,ranged,attackType,damageType,weaponType)
        set TypeStackLevel=TypeStackLevel-1
        return result
    endfunction

I don't understand it. Why arrays and not just non-array globals?

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Because of recursion. Although it would be more efficient (and more intuitive) if he did something like this:

JASS:
function UnitDamageTargetEx takes unit whichUnit, widget target, real amount, boolean attack, boolean ranged, attacktype attackType, damagetype damageType, weapontype weaponType returns boolean
    local boolean result
    local damagetype dt = DamageType
    local integer ia = IsAttack
    set IsAttack = attack
    set DamageType = damageType
    set result = UnitDamageTarget(whichUnit, target, amount, attack, ranged, attackType, damageType, weaponType)
    set DamageType = dt
    set IsAttack = ia
    set dt = null
    return result
endfunction

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Yep, recursion.
Although it would be more efficient (and more intuitive) if he did something like this
What makes you think that is either more efficient or more intuitive..?

This way it would be trivial to refer to damage that damage is in response to, if I liked..

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
It is not much more efficient, according to my FPS tests, what is going to matter is repeat-referencing because you are returning a scalar via GetEventDamageType instead of an array lookup, for example. It saves creation of globals and global arrays as well. It's probably easier to code it your way but it's definitely lighter on the processor by hashing it into some locals.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
It is not much more efficient, according to my FPS tests, what is going to matter is repeat-referencing because you are returning a scalar via GetEventDamageType instead of an array lookup, for example. It saves creation of globals and global arrays as well. It's probably easier to code it your way but it's definitely lighter on the processor by hashing it into some locals.
FPS tests... lol, back in my day it was benchmarks or don't say anything.

If you care about that sort of efficiency, you should only have one trigger firing off Damage, and then fork through a tree structure to only fire the correct event responses based on what type of damage, if it's an attack, etc. Isn't this is the most efficient way to support that, since GetEventDamageType would only ever be called once each time?

And if you don't care about that sort of efficiency, good on you, you might even complete a map! :D

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
RtC benchmarks don't work any more, so now it's pretty much FPS tests or don't say anything.

codart

Reaction score
Can i use this system with Abuff from Anitarf. Can't make myself use buff struct, it's fail _ _!

kStiyl

Reaction score
I'm having a strange bug with this system

If I add some kind of ability (ex. slow aura-based debuff) on the damage event, Damage_Block seems to bug (it won't block any damage)

I've tested it on your demo map by just switching your demo code with this library below.

After making an attempt to debug this, I found that adding an ability triggers the event.
I do not understand why this would bug the system though; isn't it supposed to be recursive?

I fixed this bug temporarily by adding GetEventDamage() > 0 on 'onDamageActions' in damage library

JASS:
library Test initializer onInit requires Damage

private function onHit takes nothing returns boolean
    	call Damage_BlockAll()
        call UnitAddAbility(GetTriggerUnit(), 'Aasl')
        call UnitRemoveAbility(GetTriggerUnit(), 'Aasl')
        call UnitRemoveAbility(GetTriggerUnit(), 'Basl')
        return false
    endfunction

private function onInit takes nothing returns nothing
        local trigger trg = CreateTrigger()
        call Damage_RegisterEvent(trg)
        call TriggerAddCondition(trg, Condition(function onHit))
        set trg = null
    endfunction

endlibrary

Would appreciate it if you give me a solution. I'm having a huge problem because this is continuously interfering with my debuff system =( (poison, stun etc.)

Mr_Bean355

Reaction score
The test scope. I think it is meant to block all damage in the demo map, but when I test it, nothing happens. Unit receive damage as normal. I re-downloadede the demo map and tested it without changing anything - still didn't help.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Indeed it is meant to block all damage in the demo map. Strange how nothing happens upon testing. It should work without any editing. Place debug messages in the function to see if the code is actually running.

Mr_Bean355

Reaction score
JASS:
scope NoDamageOnMap initializer StartZeroDamage
private function BlockAllDamage takes nothing returns boolean
call BJDebugMsg("Damaged!")
call Damage_BlockAll()
return false
endfunction

private function StartZeroDamage takes nothing returns nothing
local trigger t=CreateTrigger()
call TriggerAddCondition(t,Condition(function BlockAllDamage))
call Damage_RegisterEvent(t)
endfunction
endscope

Nothing displays :eek:

EDIT: Turns out the issue was the JASSHelper version I have. The latest one (by Cohadar) compiles the map in a strange order, meaning Damage won't work for pre-placed units. After down-grading to an earlier version of JASSHelper, it works fine.

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
So does this system discard "damagetype"s like DAMAGE_TYPE_ACID, DAMAGE_TYPE_COLD, DAMAGE_TYPE_DEATH, DAMAGE_TYPE_DEFENSIVE, etc... and instead uses only 3 damage types, physical, magical, and pure?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.