Crime 'Dark Knight Rises' massacre: 12 shot dead in Colorado 'Batman' screening

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Federal officials say the suspect in the Colorado movie theater mass shooting that killed at least 12 and injured 50 is 24-year-old James Holmes, who targeted the midnight showing of the new Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises.

Police are interrogating the 24-year-old male suspect. No information on the motive behind the dreadful massacre has been revealed.

The theater in the Colorado city of Aurora in the Denver suburbs was packed with a lot of people, many of them young fans, at the time the shooting started, 9news reports. The violence erupted some 15 minutes after the movie began, witnesses said.

An area children’s hospital said the youngest of the six shooting victims brought to them is six years old. Not all of the patients at the hospital are children, however.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Just sickening.
And for fuck's sake make "the laws on guns harder!"

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Just sickening.
And for fuck's sake make "the laws on guns harder!"

It's in the Bill of Rights - the basics laws and standards of which our government has been built upon - that we have the right to bear arms... it's so that we can defend ourselves from whack-jobs like these and rise against an oppressive U.S. government should the need arise, if the Democracy failed. Gun laws are already sort of strict, and I can't think of much more they could do that would keep to that founding principal. Besides, if someone really want to get their hands on a gun, then they could find a way even without going to a store.

But on the issue, that's some serious shit. 12 killed, 50 wounded? I was wondering when these madmen were gonna quit fuckin' around and get a bit more serious... yikes.

P.S. Kaerf - I'd like that post 100 times if I could. I got off on it, that was some funny shit.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I'm just surprised that nobody took him down. It can't be that hard to notice that the guy next to you just slumped over in his seat with a hole in his head.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Its not gun laws that need fixing.

Its a multitude of other problems that causes violence like this. A normal person doesn't just walk into a movie theater and shoot people. Only someone with serious psychological issues would do something like this. Whether those issues arose from birth or were instilled from environmental factors is an important question.

FireCat

Reaction score
Here is the shocking mobile phone footage caught as people ran screaming from the cinema in Aurora as the gunman continued his rampage

A normal person doesn't just walk into a movie theater and shoot people. Only someone with serious psychological issues would do something like this
True, But what do you say about terrorist and other bunch of bastards?

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
True, But what do you say about terrorist and other bunch of bastards?

That's why I also said, "Whether those issues arose from birth or were instilled from environmental factors is an important question."

Islamic terrorists, for example, have obvious environmental factors that largely dictates their view of the world and humanity. But again, No normal human being would sign up for terrorism. I think its probably safe to say that most, if not all, of them are pre-disposed to certain violent or extreme tendencies, which leads them to that kind of lifestyle.

There's never one "one right answer" that defines why crazy people do crazy things. But they definitely are crazy.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I'm just surprised that nobody took him down. It can't be that hard to notice that the guy next to you just slumped over in his seat with a hole in his head.

I thought about this, but in a dark theater, where hearing a gunshot wouldn't exactly be too unusual (batman movie and all), and your eyes on the screen, you wouldn't notice that fast, and chances are you wouldn't be the first to notice - then there would be panic, everyone would be running in some direction, and not letting you get a clear shot (repeat: bad lighting), not to mention that if someone saw you with a gun you could easily be mistaken for the attacker and attacked by an unarmed movie watcher - assuming of course that you did have a gun yourself

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about this, but in a dark theater, where hearing a gunshot wouldn't exactly be too unusual (batman movie and all), and your eyes on the screen, you wouldn't notice that fast, and chances are you wouldn't be the first to notice - then there would be panic, everyone would be running in some direction, and not letting you get a clear shot (repeat: bad lighting), not to mention that if someone saw you with a gun you could easily be mistaken for the attacker and attacked by an unarmed movie watcher - assuming of course that you did have a gun yourself
Who would be taking a gun to the movie theather? Of course excluding the gunman. Mister TriggerHappy.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I'm surprised that he was able to let off enough rounds in succession that no one jumped him. But it's very understandable. You are probably more worried about getting your girlfriend/wife/children out than jumping the guy with the weapons.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Another thing to note: just because something goes horribly wrong, doesn't mean that you need to make a new law that makes it "impossible" to repeat. Everything in this world has the potential for exploitation. You can't tame society just by making laws and adding restrictions. There are always going to be ways in which people will harm others. Things being "illegal" doesn't really scare people who are about to do things like this anyways.

Like tommerbob said, there are a lot of things that make people crazy. The tools can change, the methods can change, but the fact that there are nuts out there is something we are not likely to be able to stop.

I am sickened by this event. It is truly horrible, and this disgusting monster should never see the light of day.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Truly sad. I just got back from the premiere and I guess I'm thankful it didn't happen to me. Coulda happened to anyone.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
To those wondering how he got off so many shots, it has been stated somewhere that he had a gas mask and let off some sort of smoke bomb (or perhaps tear gas). Kinda hard to do anything in that environment. Except for him, and all he has to do is spray and pray, sadly ...

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't alter an entire society because of the actions of one lunatic.
Execute the lunatic and move on.

Maybe if gun laws were less strict and others in the theater had had guns, someone could have taken him out before he managed to kill all those people....

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
He had his PhD and was dropping out from poor grades probably.
I bet he finally realized how much student loan debt he had.

It's in the Bill of Rights - the basics laws and standards of which our government has been built upon - that we have the right to bear arms... it's so that we can defend ourselves from whack-jobs like these and rise against an oppressive U.S. government should the need arise, if the Democracy failed..

I do agree that we have the right to bare arms in order to overthrow the govt in the event it becomes tyranical, but that was written at a time when we were shooting muskets.
A group of a thousand or so men could actually revolt.
Now we have things like F22 stealth fighters and drone based lasers, so that part of the law is really irrelevant now.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
I don't know much about the gun laws and stuff but like lets be honest, the states is about the only place i hear this things constantly happening. We can never have a harmonious society because that's not possible as everyone is raised differently, and exposed to their experiences differently.

Honestly i thing the law for guns in the states is stupid, if someone really does want to fuck something up they will find a way but this just makes everything more accessible and hence won't determine their motives.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
He had his PhD and was dropping out from poor grades probably.
I bet he finally realized how much student loan debt he had.

I do agree that we have the right to bare arms in order to overthrow the govt in the event it becomes tyranical, but that was written at a time when we were shooting muskets.
A group of a thousand or so men could actually revolt.
Now we have things like F22 stealth fighters and drone based lasers, so that part of the law is really irrelevant now.

A small squad of skilled men armed with rifles could likely take an incoming drone down (don't hold me to that, I'm only making assumptions based off of television/movies {which I know is a foolish thing to do}). That drone costs several millions of dollars to produce, plus skilled laborers. Wouldn't be long before they ran out of resources if the revolting populace was well-backed. As for stealth bombers, well, you have to consider the ramifications of civil war. It's hard to bomb your own people, whether they're revolting or not, I imagine.
I mean, I see your point, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's irrelevant. If even if my points are moot, the peace of mind obtained through naive ignorance can be a wonderful thing.

FireCat

Reaction score
That's pretty screwed. Just saying
NY Police Commissioner said gunman told police he was The Joker
The Killer had arsenal of 6,000 rounds which he bought at local shops and online

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.