Dark Place

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
darkplace.jpg

darkplace2.png

darkplace3.png

darkplace4.jpg

Not complete but pleased with the outcome so far.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cool. I have no idea what it is, but cool nonetheless :p

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
careful with your lighting. Rim lighting only should happen if something is lit from the back. Your blue light source is coming from the side so you should have more of the side light up.

Definitely has some awesome potential. Try looking at pictures of cliffs and mountains to help your piece look even more like the cliffy-cloud effect you have going.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Updated the image, let me know if the newer blue lighting on the blocks is an improvement or not!

darkplace2.png

I've also brightened the image slightly, this is because a lot of the lighting features appeared to only be visible in Photoshop, when I put them online the darkness seemed to consume a lot of the detail; if anybody knows why this is happening and what I should do to avoid this without having to brighten up the image help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your feedback!

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Level Design?

Looks nice,seems like a ancient Japanese painting that's slightly more cartoonish.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Sort of, it's a conceptual idea for a possible sequel to one of my games!

I plan to do more, I'm experimenting with lighting and environmental appearances in general.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I like the glistening affect in the upper left a lot. Cool stuff.

Not sure about the darkening, I know that happens to a lot of people. Might be an affect of how the browser renders the image. Does it happen across all browsers?

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
I think the problem is that web browsers use colors differently. I had a great site that showed the difference between colors in programs vrs colors online and which were "safe" to use for web browsers but I can't find it at the moment.

I would recommend you start laying some textures in. What dimensions and dpi are you using for this project?

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
A lot of times, it is also different depending on what monitor you use.

Anyway, it looks pretty sweet. However, I like the blue that you used in v2 more because it is a tad more vibrant. It is still awesome though.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Looks Cool, But should be a bit more Dark, deep background colors.

darkplacelol.png

I'm sorry, It was Just for fun. lol

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I'll start adding more texture on the weekend.

Dimensions are 800x550, 72 dpi.

PurgeandFire: I agree I prefer that blue also, the colour adjusting I had to do to brighten the 3rd edit caused me to lose that vibrance but I'll try and bring it back in the next iteration.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
amazing :d!
I am not very good at drawing nor lighting, but I have to admit that I love pieces with two or more light sources :)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Yeah this is the second time I've managed to do this (luckily people aren't asking for a wallpaper this time :p) I will stick to higher dimensions next time!

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Looks awesome!

I like the fourth version the most.

Also, as Whitesock suggested, work with a canvas that has bigger dimensions than your goal size, then shrink it down. It helps a lot. Another advice, work with 16 bit RGB documents, not 8 bit. Then gradients will go a lot smoother, especially if, when saving for sharing, you save as a 16 bit PNG. A lot of those pesky lines in the gradients will disappear!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.