DarkStalkers [Action PvP ORPG]

SupremeRuler

Reaction score
DarkStalkers
(beta)​
DESIGN THREAD
Dark_Stalkers_Minimap_PNG.png

DOWNLOAD BETA2 http://205.196.123.121/ltb0fckwqacg/vcaiqy8dsfv99pt/DarkStalkers beta2.w3x
Please keep in mind it's still a beta with many things missing! If you notice a glitch, bug, imbalance, or any mistake or thing that bothers you, let me know!
Read the "Future Goals" section of this thread for more info!
I'm still looking for people to help me take this map in a new direction!

DESCRIPTION

DarkStalkers is a 2-10* player action PvP game with ORPG elements.
*Map size adapts to # of players.

In DarkStalkers, players control a single Hero (dubbed "Death Lord") capable of growing stronger and learning new skills as the player kills other Death Lords.
The game play is simple: use your spells (Q W E R)* to kill the other Death Lords and complete quests.
*You can assign custom hotkeys to your abilities (Q W E R only).

ENVIRONMENT

In DarkStalkers, the environment is randomly generated--all of it. Even the weather.
Right now, in the beta version, the environment is pretty simple & boring--mostly just trees and empty space.
The reason I've made the random terrain generator so basic, is because I want to get a map out sooner and because so far, to be honest, I haven't felt like working on it since I've redone it 3 times for 3 different maps and I can test this myself.

For future versions, I will improve it to have random critters, music, enemies, and a few props & doodads. Perhaps even add terrain feature (like water) that slows you down when you're in it and what not. It all depends on where I want to take the map and player feedback.

CUSTOMIZATION

Skills & Stats
- As the Death Lord levels up, the player gains access to new skills and more Stat Points.
The new skills are not necessarily stronger than the default skills but are meant to allow the player to modify his Death Lord to better suit his playstyle.
Stat Points can be assigned to one of the Death Lord's 3 primary attributes and also affect its looks.

Items
- Players are able to purchase items from their Spirit Merchant. You can summon your Spirit Merchant by using your Golden Whistle (item). Items serve to give veteran players an edge over newer players, but more importantly, to enhance the player's playstyle.
Items will include basic items, rare, legendaries, and sets. Set items will provide additional bonus once all the pieces are collected.

Achievements*
- Aren't just meaningless trophies no one knows you have but you, achievements reward you with things you can show off to other players. For example, if you were to get 100 kills, you would unlock a new title "the Bloodthirsty". You'd then be able to select it in your Death Lord's Settings menu and your player name would be changed to "PlayerName the Bloodthirsty". This is just one of the many ways achievements help you customize your character.
*Not yet implemented.

FUTURE GOALS

In the beta2 version, I removed or omitted many things that I plan on being in the 1.0 release. They are:
- Save/Load code: because it's not yet implemented, you have access to all the skills (will make it easier to bug-test) but also you won't be able to get any good items since they're meant to be available to players who've carried their Death Lord over for a few games.
- Quests: once implemented, quests will reward players with large bonuses.
- Stash: not sure if necessary, but definitely a potential feature.
- Stats display: may or may not be implemented, but this multiboard would display all your Death Lord's statistics: % absorb, resistances, kills, deaths, etc.
- Content!: More defensive spells; new passive skill tree; and tons of items! Maybe new models too!

CREDITS

SupremeGrandRuler: Map Design
Dark Hunter1357: Comet Model
Mc !: Staff Item Model; Armor Item Model; Sword Model; Leather Armor Model; Axe Model
neogaidenx: Original Sight Radius Model
republicola: Accessory Item Model; Dracula's Blood Stone Model
I'm still looking for people to help me take this map in a new direction!

Map is protected.

SupremeRuler

Reaction score
Screenshots would definitely be good for this kind of map.

Definately! But right now I'm more interested in improving it than playing it. If you have screenshots, feel free to post them! If they're good I'll add them to the main post.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
1. No AI. Not even running around until you hit them, in which case they always turn invisible and run.
2. Units spawn outside map boundaries a lot. My first game in fact, had ALL of us outside boundaries.
3. Some effect when you kill another Death Lord would be nice. Especially since AI is usually invisible when killed.
4. I don't see the point of having save/load here. At all.

SupremeRuler

Reaction score
1. No AI. Not even running around until you hit them, in which case they always turn invisible and run.

Not sure what you mean by that.

2. Units spawn outside map boundaries a lot. My first game in fact, had ALL of us outside boundaries.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

3. Some effect when you kill another Death Lord would be nice. Especially since AI is usually invisible when killed.

Not sure what you mean by that.

4. I don't see the point of having save/load here. At all.

save/load isn't absolutely necessary. In the beta version, it's almost pointless because I gave all players access to every spell. Also it's pretty easy to level up.
In the release version, players will only have access to 4 skills from each tree, and will unlock new skills as their Hero levels up (which will take longer than it does in the beta). Save/load will be useful for saving your items (since they are expansive) and your score.

Again, it's not 100% necessary, I could just make items really cheap and give players access to every spell, etc, but I think it's nice to make players feel like they are accomplishing something by playing.

Thanks for playing! :)

EDIT: I think I know what you mean by "AI turns invisible" it's because while there is no AI, if attacked, they are still program to attack you. One of the starting spells they have is "Shadow Walk" (aka Wind Walk) and so they just use that to sneak up on you and attack you.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
In the release version, players will only have access to 4 skills from each tree, and will unlock new skills as their Hero levels up (which will take longer than it does in the beta).
Well that makes much more sense.

Again, it's not 100% necessary, I could just make items really cheap and give players access to every spell, etc, but I think it's nice to make players feel like they are accomplishing something by playing.
This too.

Thanks for playing! :)
Always ready to test.

BTW, there's another problem I forgot to list - Death Ray causes a lot of lag when cast.

SupremeRuler

Reaction score
Still no screenshots (haven't played it yet, but I have tested it with myself on LAN).

In the beta2 version, I worked a lot on making things look nicer (when really, I should have worked on spells and features...).
Anyway, lots of major changes and bugs fixed.

Changes:
- You can only have 1 of each: Weapon, Off-Hand, Armor, Accessory.
- New required quest. You need to get 10 kills and defeat all the other players without being defeated back by them to win.
- Remade items.
- Made things look nicer.

Bugs:
- Fixed a critical bug that could make you unable to control your Hero.
- Fixed a bug that caused Hellfire Star to deal 0 damage.
- Fixed a bunch of other bugs.
- Fixed a few bugs regarding items.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.