Tutorial Data Editor - Creating A Hero

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
Here is a simple guide to help you in creating your own hero for your SC2 map.

First make sure your settings look like this
picture.php

For this guide I will be turning to Protoss phoenix into a hero.

First you will want to create a new unit to transform into your hero, or just edit one that already exists. To keep things simple I will be editing the one already made.

First you must open 'Object Properties', then change the object type from unit to hero.
picture.php
picture.php

Now the unit will have the hero icon in-game, but it won't have levels. Well that's easy to fix.

Change the 'Data Type' to 'Behaviors'. Then right click and select add object. The only part that is required is that the 'Behavior Type' is changed to 'Veterancy'.
picture.php

Now you need edit the data of the behavior, this part is very basic. Double click the blank section for 'Veterancy Levels'.
picture.php

Now click the little green X at the top right.
picture.php

Each number in the index is a level, so if you want your hero to start at level one don't make any changes and just click the X again. Then you need to edit the 'Minimum Experience' for each level, when your hero's experience reaches this number it will no longer be at that level and goes up to the next.
picture.php

In this image it shows the data for a four level hero (the minimum experience can be made to whatever you want).

We are almost done making our hero, now we need to go back to the 'Unit' 'Data Type'.

Now select the unit you want to make a hero. Double click the behaviors field like we did with veterancy levels. Click the green X again and choose the behavior you just created. And your done you have created your new hero.

P.S. I will be making changes to this later so people may edit their hero's further. Also I hope you did not need images in that final portion, if at least five people request I add some in then I will.

Sickduck

Reaction score
Hi. Thank you for your step by step instructions. I was able to follow no problem. But when i try to add this unit to the feel i am unable. Is there something else i need to do?

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
It could be because you haven't set up the actors for the model. There is another topic that will help you with that. I'm sorry I can't help more because I haven't touched the editor in awhile so this is the best I can do for you.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Moved to Galaxy Editor Resources so that it could be added to the Starcraft 2 Editor site. :thup:

Bdawg

Reaction score
Bdawg

Hey Ive done exactly as you have and when im in the game. My character (GHOST) shows the level at the top and it says level 1 but when they get kills or give damage there xp does not go up any. Can you tell me how to fix this.

THX BDAWG

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
I can't think of anything that could cause that. Perhaps it's what you were killing. It is possible that not everything will reward experience to the hero. Try killing various types of units and see if anything changes. If not I will recreate a hero using this to find a cause and solution.

Bdawg

Reaction score
Hey I have done everything you have told me to do on this create a hero. When I get to the game and my marine kills someone on veterancy it shows the hero bar but when he gets kills his xp does not go up at all. I've done multiple tests- killed different units and none of them would make him rank up.

Can you help me fix this?
THX
Bdawg
OUT

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Here is a couple of things you should check:

1) On the units your hero is killing, check the Combat: Kill Experience and make sure it is greater than 0.
2) On the hero veterancy behaviour, check the property Behaviour: Experience Fraction. The value for Kills should be above 0 for your hero to gain any experience for killing units.
3) On the hero veterancy behaviour, check the property Behaviour: Target Filters. The units your hero is killing must fall within these filters to gain experience.

Bdawg

Reaction score
Hey I Did what you said to do and every unit has xp but when I kill them my bar does not go up. When I scroll over the bar it shows the xp as 0. I dont know what to do he looks like a hero, but does not rank up right.
Thx for your help
Bdawg Out!

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
I would but I no longer have the images and I can't remake them because I don't remember how I did any of this, I don't use the editor anymore.

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
If needed, I can recreate this tutorial. I'll most likely do it in a a week or two, when I have better time, but should not take that long to recreate, especially if you allow me to use your text ;)

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.