Data Editor (models)... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

hopy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been having a long and difficult fight with the Data Editor, and so far I think I'm losing. Everytime I attempt to use my "Understand!" attack at it, it dodges me and counters with "WTF is this!?". I've called in backup in the form of tutorials, but they got charmed, and turned against me. Now with both the Data Editor and tutorails throwing out "WTF is this?!" attacks at me, and my health bar running dangerously low, you guys are my last Limit Break mode before I go game over.

My main problem here is linking actors, weapons, and events to units, and getting them to work and show up. Second I'd really like to ask some help with the whole "Event: Events" part of the Actors. I'll go past my three main problems one by one, and hope someone can help me. :)

First of all: weapons not showing up.
So (using a guide) I've made a weapon for my unit (made from scratch, since I figured that'd be the best way to learn everything there is about the Data Editor), who we'll name Bob for now. Now Bob has a punch attack, with sounds and all. Now everything works as it's supposed to work (damage, sound etc-), except that the actual weapon doesn't show up in Bob's UI (at the bottem of the screen). I followed the tutorial normally, but it just doesn't show up. All it's currently showing me there is a white/black icon without tooltip, icon or anything.

So, what do I miss? Why doesn't it show up?

Second of all: model, sounds and all not working (actor not getting linked to the unit).
I've made a unit Actor for my Bob, using Zeratul's model, profile, icon and sounds for now (for testing mainly. :D). And except that it asks for "Board sounds" (and some others) or something, and I don't know what that is, it should work. Thing is, it doesn't show up on my unit (nothing in the Object Explorer related to Bob's actor). So my guess would be that the Actor didn't link to the unit. The tutorials said that by selecting Bob in the Unit Name Token field would link Bob's actor to Bob (like it succesfully did with his weapon), however it doesn't...Bob is currently a white sphere, and that is not the optimal state for Bob, and I plan to help him get rid of it.

What am I missing here? Why doesn't the actor link to Bob? :(

Third of all (and possibly the awnser on #2?): Event: Events.
Now in a part of the tutorials the writer went like "THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!", and after that the tutorial changed to Chineese or something, and I couldn't follow a word of what he meant. Normally I'd mess around with whatever I didn't follow, but in this case that only managed to get me more confused: I am talking, ofcourse, about Event: Events. I haven't got the slightest in what this is supposed to do, how it works, and how I use it, but it's apparently very important. All I've managed to figure out about them is the following: You select something in the drop menu, than something happens and something gets changed in something or something.

So: what the hell are those events, how do I use them and all that.

This is the third time I got to this stage (months ago), and so far I've lost the fight, exitted the editor and forgot about it. However I really want to learn how this works can create some fun maps.

Thanks in advance for any help, and +rep for anyone helpfull. Since the whole editor is Chineese to me I didn't quite know what information and data to link here, so if you need some information please let me know and I'll awnser as soon as I can. Ofcourse with the Event: Events thing a good tutorial is fine as well, but so far it's been mentioned in 3 tutorials and ... yeah...

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been having a long and difficult fight with the Data Editor, and so far I think I'm losing. Everytime I attempt to use my "Understand!" attack at it, it dodges me and counters with "WTF is this!?". I've called in backup in the form of tutorials, but they got charmed, and turned against me. Now with both the Data Editor and tutorails throwing out "WTF is this?!" attacks at me, and my health bar running dangerously low, you guys are my last Limit Break mode before I go game over.

My main problem here is linking actors, weapons, and events to units, and getting them to work and show up. Second I'd really like to ask some help with the whole "Event: Events" part of the Actors. I'll go past my three main problems one by one, and hope someone can help me. :)

First of all: weapons not showing up.
So (using a guide) I've made a weapon for my unit (made from scratch, since I figured that'd be the best way to learn everything there is about the Data Editor), who we'll name Bob for now. Now Bob has a punch attack, with sounds and all. Now everything works as it's supposed to work (damage, sound etc-), except that the actual weapon doesn't show up in Bob's UI (at the bottem of the screen). I followed the tutorial normally, but it just doesn't show up. All it's currently showing me there is a white/black icon without tooltip, icon or anything.

So, what do I miss? Why doesn't it show up?
Hi again, and I must say, it's good to have someone adding some humor to their thread ;)

Your problem most likely lies in the UI: Damage Display Effect which is not set to anything, this is what the tooltip displays as the damage for the weapon (even if it is not related the weapon in any other way).
Second of all: model, sounds and all not working (actor not getting linked to the unit).
I've made a unit Actor for my Bob, using Zeratul's model, profile, icon and sounds for now (for testing mainly. :D). And except that it asks for "Board sounds" (and some others) or something, and I don't know what that is, it should work. Thing is, it doesn't show up on my unit (nothing in the Object Explorer related to Bob's actor). So my guess would be that the Actor didn't link to the unit. The tutorials said that by selecting Bob in the Unit Name Token field would link Bob's actor to Bob (like it succesfully did with his weapon), however it doesn't...Bob is currently a white sphere, and that is not the optimal state for Bob, and I plan to help him get rid of it.
Hmm, are you 100% sure that you set the Art: Model, Art: Model (Placement) to the right model?
Third of all (and possibly the awnser on #2?): Event: Events.
Now in a part of the tutorials the writer went like "THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!", and after that the tutorial changed to Chineese or something, and I couldn't follow a word of what he meant. Normally I'd mess around with whatever I didn't follow, but in this case that only managed to get me more confused: I am talking, ofcourse, about Event: Events. I haven't got the slightest in what this is supposed to do, how it works, and how I use it, but it's apparently very important. All I've managed to figure out about them is the following: You select something in the drop menu, than something happens and something gets changed in something or something.

So: what the hell are those events, how do I use them and all that.

This is the third time I got to this stage (months ago), and so far I've lost the fight, exitted the editor and forgot about it. However I really want to learn how this works can create some fun maps.

Thanks in advance for any help, and +rep for anyone helpfull. Since the whole editor is Chineese to me I didn't quite know what information and data to link here, so if you need some information please let me know and I'll awnser as soon as I can. Ofcourse with the Event: Events thing a good tutorial is fine as well, but so far it's been mentioned in 3 tutorials and ... yeah...
Well, events is the core in actors, it's somehow similar to the trigger editor, it reacts on an event which fires some actions on some terms (if they are set), mostly destroying, creating or manipulating with the actor in some fancy way.

I would suggest you to copy another already existing actor (eg. the one with the model you want to use) and modify it to your needs, I know that it is not the right way to do it, but it's the way I learned it, and I am getting the hang of it.

EDIT: Your problem with the actor not apearing is most likely because there is not event in the actor that creates the unit, and all already existing actors there would be an event which looks like this:
Code:
UnitBirth.Marine
  Create
this event creates the actor when the unit is created.

hopy

Reaction score
Hi again, and I must say, it's good to have someone adding some humor to their thread ;)
First of all, hi again, and thanks for the reply. :)
Humor tends to work I feel, much better than "BOB NO SHOW, WHY U NO SHOW BOB?!" or a long dry story about some data and what doesn't work. Though I must say I'm quite proud of my little boss fight story. :D

Your problem most likely lies in the UI: Damage Display Effect which is not set to anything, this is what the tooltip displays as the damage for the weapon (even if it is not related the weapon in any other way).

"UI - Damage Display Effect" (at the Punch weapon) is currently pointing at my Punch to Face damage effect.
Data I've currently eddited from the standard (freshly made) weapon:
Combat: Amount = 10.
Combat: Armor Reduction = 1.
Effect: Kind = Melee.
And that's about it (outside of the name, and Editor Suffix, which are not important).

Currently the weapon shows no tooltip, or anything. And the icon is a weird half white - half back icon box.

Hmm, are you 100% sure that you set the Art: Model, Art: Model (Placement) to the right model?

Art: Model = Zeratul.
Art: Model (Build) = Zeratul)
Art: Model (Editor) = (None) (other units don't have this filled either).
Art: Model (Placement) = Zeratul.
Art: Model (Portrait) = Marine (don't ask).

Not sure how the model itself can be the problem though. From what I can understand (with my little knowlage) is that the Actor itself isn't linked to Bob somehow. The tutorial said that by filling the Token at the bottem "Unit Name" to the unit would link the two together, but I don't see any information connected to the Bob actor in Bob's (unit) Object Explorer (no sounds, models, anything).

Well, events is the core in actors, it's somehow similar to the trigger editor, it reacts on an event which fires some actions on some terms (if they are set), mostly destroying, creating or manipulating with the actor in some fancy way.

I would suggest you to copy another already existing actor (eg. the one with the model you want to use) and modify it to your needs, I know that it is not the right way to do it, but it's the way I learned it, and I am getting the hang of it.

EDIT: Your problem with the actor not apearing is most likely because there is not event in the actor that creates the unit, and all already existing actors there would be an event which looks like this:
Code:
UnitBirth.Marine
  Create
this event creates the actor when the unit is created.

I did this, but the other units had this gaint wall of god knows what as their Events, so I ran away to heal up first. Though I'll be honest, I've only now really noticed you could click on the actual action, and not just the event... which, for someone experienced with the W3 Trigger Editor, is quite shamefull, really. :D Me smart.

Something's odd though. I've tried to edit "UnitBirth.Zeratul - Create" event to "UnitBirth.Bob - Create", but it's showing me "UnitBirth.UnknownUnit - Create". Is this normal for custom units? Shouldn't I edit them to my normal unit, and just keep it on Zeratul? Is there a problem with my actual unit? Does Blizzard know how this works themselfs?

I'm feeling as though I'm slooowly making progress here, though be it at a snail's pace. I think the first few months I'll take multiple hours creating a single unit. :D

EDIT===================================================
After messing around with the Event: Events (copie pasting Zeratul's Events to Bob, and than changing all the Zeratuls to Bob, my PC became angry at me and said the following: "[8/30/2012 7:22:13 PM] Warning: USER: [ 0 7] CActorUnit[Bob] Cannot host off oneself. Culprit is ::Host."

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Which tutorial is it that you're following? Is it my tutorial here? In that case, it sounds like I really have to update it for 1.5.

1. Try messing with the UI: Icon in the weapon and see if it changes anything. I don't really know what else to say until I know what tutorial you followed.

2. So you're saying that even though the actor(which is a Unit type of actor, make sure this is the case) has its Unit Name token set to your unit, the unit doesn't have ANY actor in its related object list? That is very weird. Again, knowing what tutorial you followed might help.

3. Events are important and I know the huge list with events is kind of frightening. Don't worry, I judge myself as pretty decent with the data editor and actors in general, but I still don't understand what most of those do. The reason it shows up as "UnitBirth.UnknownUnit - Create" is probably because you didn't set an ID for your unit. If you double-click your unit in the unit tab, the ID is probably "UnknownUnit". Press suggest to give it a proper ID or choose one yourself.

hopy

Reaction score
Which tutorial is it that you're following? Is it my tutorial here? In that case, it sounds like I really have to update it for 1.5.

1. Try messing with the UI: Icon in the weapon and see if it changes anything. I don't really know what else to say until I know what tutorial you followed.
First off: couldn't find your tutorial on the TheHelper tutorial page I don't think (either that or I'm blind). The tutorial I was using for the weapon was: http://www.thehelper.net/threads/general-melee-weapons.149679/
Current Data for the weapon's UI (the green/eddited parts anyways):
UI: Damage Display Effect = Punch (damage)
UI: Display Attack Count = 10.
UI: Icon = Assets\Textures\btn-research-zerg-cellularreactor.dds
UI: Tooltip = Punch of Doom!

Also either I've gone blind, or I couldn't find your tutorial in the tutorial section of TheHelper. Reading it now, since it seems usefull (and most of all noob-friendly).

2. So you're saying that even though the actor(which is a Unit type of actor, make sure this is the case) has its Unit Name token set to your unit, the unit doesn't have ANY actor in its related object list? That is very weird. Again, knowing what tutorial you followed might help.
Ok, so a little update on this part: Be it by "fixing" the Event: Events, be it by randomly messing around with data stuff, I've somehow managed to get the sounds and models to show up in the Object list. However ever since I've been spammed by the following messages:
[8/30/2012 7:22:13 PM] Warning: USER: [ 0 7] CActorUnit[Ent] Cannot host off oneself. Culprit is ::Host.
[8/30/2012 7:23:08 PM] Warning: USER: [ 86 4] CActorUnit[Ent] Cannot host off oneself. Culprit is ::Host.
[8/30/2012 7:23:08 PM] Warning: USER: [ 87 4] CActorUnit[Ent] Cannot host off oneself. Culprit is ::Host.
[8/30/2012 8:02:15 PM] Warning: USER: [ 87 5] CActorUnit[Ent] Cannot host off oneself. Culprit is ::Host.
[8/30/2012 8:02:15 PM] USER: [ 0 b] CActorUnit[Ent] Cannot create a CActorUnit outside of an underlying CUnit's CActorScope. Try creating the actor inside of a live unit's CActorScope or create a CActorModel instead.
[8/30/2012 8:02:15 PM] USER: [ 88 2] CActorUnit[Ent] Cannot create a CActorUnit outside of an underlying CUnit's CActorScope. Try creating the actor inside of a live unit's CActorScope or create a CActorModel instead.
So.. something's wrong with... something, and the "Host" can't be trusted it seems. (HELP ME PLEASE! D: )

As for the tutorial I was using for Bob's actors, I really don't know. I haven't saved that one anywhere, I'll try to find it again.

3. Events are important and I know the huge list with events is kind of frightening. Don't worry, I judge myself as pretty decent with the data editor and actors in general, but I still don't understand what most of those do
So basicly there's one guy at Blizzard who knows and does all the event stuff, while the rest of us copie/paste that guy? :D

The reason it shows up as "UnitBirth.UnknownUnit - Create" is probably because you didn't set an ID for your unit. If you double-click your unit in the unit tab, the ID is probably "UnknownUnit". Press suggest to give it a proper ID or choose one yourself.
You, sir, are a genius. I'm pretty sure I actually filled that part in, but I guess I'm mistaken. I've had to redo some stuff (multiple times in fact), so I might've done it the first few times, but forgot it this time.

PS: Bob > Sam anyday.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
2) Those error messages sound like you have an extra "Create" event added to the unit's actor which is causing the game to try and create the actor twice.

When it comes to creating units, I never try to create them from scratch. I have found that when I do, I tend to get some really strange bugs that I have to spend hours to solve. The easiest method is to do what X-Maul suggested and duplicate and existing unit with the same model. The model doesn't have to be the same (because that can easily be changed in most cases), so I tend to prefer to choose a unit which will be similar to the unit I am making. When I have found the unit I want to copy, I go to the Unit data type and right click on the unit, and select Duplicate Unit.... In the window that opens, I only select the unit's actor (not any of the other actors as they are related to and effect of ability connected to the unit). This way, they only objects that get created is the unit object and a unit type actor that is already connected to the unit object.

hopy

Reaction score
2) Those error messages sound like you have an extra "Create" event added to the unit's actor which is causing the game to try and create the actor twice.
Ok, so I used a butten called "Reset to Parent Value - [Core.SC2Mod] GenericUnitStandard, which I think resetted the entire Event.Events to a wal of text, with Bob filled in automatically. However I still get the same messages:
[8/31/2012 1:40:47 PM] Warning: USER: [ 86 9] CActorUnit[Bob] Cannot host off oneself. Culprit is ::Host.

Currently I have 3 "Create actions" in the list.
Code:
Field    Bob  (Bob, Unit)
Event:  Event 1 +    UnitBirth.Bob:Create
Event:  Event 2 +    UnitRevive.Bob:Create
Event:  Event 3 +    UnitRevive.Bob:RefSet ::HostTurretBody _Selectable
Event:  Event 4 +    UnitConstruction.Bob.Start:Create
Event:  Event 5 +    UnitConstruction.Bob.Finish:AnimPlay ConstructionDeath Stand,Birth,Death FullMatch
Event:  Event 6 +    AnimDone.*.Missing; AnimName ConstructionDeath:Destroy
Event:  Event 7 +    ActorCreation; ValidateUnit IsFlying; Option Shadow Low; CompareField ::Main UnitFlags[ShowBlobShadow] Eq 1:Create FlyerShadow
Event:  Event 8 +    ActorCreation; ValidateUnit IsNotFlying; Option Shadow Low; CompareField ::Main UnitFlags[ShowBlobShadow] Eq 1:Create GroundShadow
Event:  Event 9 +    StatusOn.*.PreTargetingModel; ValidateUnit IsNotFlying:Create ModelPretargetGround
Event:  Event 10 +    StatusOff.*.PreTargetingModel:ModelPretargetGround:Destroy
Event:  Event 11 +    StatusOn.*.PreTargetingModel; ValidateUnit IsFlying:Create GroundPreSelection
Event:  Event 12 +    StatusOff.*.PreTargetingModel:GroundPreSelection:Destroy
Event:  Event 13 +    PreTargetingUpdate.*.Start:SetTintColorBlendPair 255,192,192 255,128,128 0.15 Bounce Pretarget
Event:  Event 14 +    PreTargetingUpdate.*.Stop:ClearTintColor 0.1 Pretarget
Event:  Event 15 +    StatusOn.*.PreTargetingTint:PreTargetingUpdate Start
Event:  Event 16 +    StatusOff.*.PreTargetingTint:PreTargetingUpdate Stop
Event:  Event 17 +    CursorUpdate.*.Start; ValidateUnit IsFlying:StatusIncrement FlyerHelper
Event:  Event 18 +    CursorUpdate.*.Stop; ValidateUnit IsFlying; HasStatus FlyerHelper:StatusDecrement FlyerHelper
Event:  Event 19 +    ActorCreation; ScopeContains GroundLocalSelection:StatusSet Selected 1
Event:  Event 20 +    SelectionLocalUpdate.*.Start:StatusSet Selected 1
Event:  Event 21 +    SelectionLocalUpdate.*.Stop:StatusSet Selected 0
Event:  Event 22 +    StatusOn.*.Selected; ValidateUnit IsFlying:StatusIncrement FlyerHelper
Event:  Event 23 +    StatusOff.*.Selected; ValidateUnit IsFlying; HasStatus FlyerHelper:StatusDecrement FlyerHelper
Event:  Event 24 +    StatusOn.*.FlyerHelper; FlyerHelper All:Create FlyerHelperSplat
Event:  Event 25 +    StatusOn.*.FlyerHelper; FlyerHelper Selected:Create FlyerHelperSplat
Event:  Event 26 +    StatusOff.*.FlyerHelper; FlyerHelper Selected:FlyerHelperSplat:Destroy
Event:  Event 27 +    ActorCreation; FlyerHelper All; ValidateUnit IsFlying:Create FlyerHelperSplat
Event:  Event 28 +    ActorDestruction; FlyerHelper All; !HasStatus FlyerHelper:FlyerHelperSplat:Destroy
Event:  Event 29 +    FlyerHelperChange; FlyerHelper None:FlyerHelperSplat:Destroy
Event:  Event 30 +    FlyerHelperChange; FlyerHelper Selected; HasStatus FlyerHelper; !ScopeContains FlyerHelperSplat:Create FlyerHelperSplat
Event:  Event 31 +    FlyerHelperChange; FlyerHelper Selected; !HasStatus FlyerHelper:FlyerHelperSplat:Destroy
Event:  Event 32 +    FlyerHelperChange; FlyerHelper All; ValidateUnit IsFlying; !ScopeContains FlyerHelperSplat:Create FlyerHelperSplat
Event:  Event 33 +    UnitBirth.*.Normal:AnimPlay Birth Birth 0 0
Event:  Event 34 +    UnitFidget:AnimPlay Fidget Fidget
Event:  Event 35 +    UnitMovementUpdate.*.Walk:AnimClear Fidget
Event:  Event 36 +    UnitDetectedByViewer.*.On; ValidateUnit IsHallucination:_HallucinationTinter:Signal HallucinationTintOn
Event:  Event 37 +    UnitDetectedByViewer.*.Off; ValidateUnit IsHallucination:_HallucinationTinter:Signal HallucinationTintOff
Event:  Event 38 +    UnitDeathCustomize; ValidateUnit HasEitherAntiGrav:DeathCustomize AntiGravGeneric
Event:  Event 39 +    UnitDeathCustomize; ValidateUnit HasAntiGravProtoss:DeathCustomize AntiGravProtoss
Event:  Event 40 +    UnitDeathCustomize; ValidateUnit HasAntiGravTerran:DeathCustomize AntiGravTerran
Event:  Event 41 +    UnitDeathCustomize; ValidateUnit HasAntiGravZerg:DeathCustomize AntiGravZerg
Event:  Event 42 +    Behavior.PhoenixAntiGrav.On:ModelSuddenMotionStart
Event:  Event 43 +    Behavior.PhoenixAntiGrav.Off:ModelSuddenMotionStop
Event:  Event 44 +    UnitTaunt.*.Start; Taunt:AnimPlay Cheer Stand,Victory
Event:  Event 45 +    UnitTaunt.*.Stop; Taunt:AnimClear Cheer
Event:  Event 46 +    UnitTaunt.*.Start; Taunt Dance:AnimPlay Dance Stand,Dance
Event:  Event 47 +    UnitTaunt.*.Stop; Taunt Dance:AnimClear Dance
Event:  Event 48 +    Abil.attack.ReadyStart:AnimGroupApply Ready
Event:  Event 49 +    WeaponStart.*.AttackStart:AnimBracketStart Attack Attack
Event:  Event 50 +    WeaponStart.*.AttackStart; AnimPlaying Birth:AnimClear Birth
Event:  Event 51 +    WeaponStop.*.AttackStop:AnimBracketStop Attack
Event:  Event 52 +    Abil.attack.ReadyStop:AnimGroupRemove Ready
Right, so that's quite the wall of text... as you can see the "create" actions all have different events, and I have no clue what they all do, but they're editor made, generic unit events... Should be fine, right?

When it comes to creating units, I never try to create them from scratch. I have found that when I do, I tend to get some really strange bugs that I have to spend hours to solve. The easiest method is to do what X-Maul suggested and duplicate and existing unit with the same model. The model doesn't have to be the same (because that can easily be changed in most cases), so I tend to prefer to choose a unit which will be similar to the unit I am making. When I have found the unit I want to copy, I go to the Unit data type and right click on the unit, and select Duplicate Unit.... In the window that opens, I only select the unit's actor (not any of the other actors as they are related to and effect of ability connected to the unit). This way, they only objects that get created is the unit object and a unit type actor that is already connected to the unit object.

I was planning on doing so too, however I feel that my very first unit should be made from scratch. This unit is mainly for practice purposes. I want to have made atleast one unit completely by myself, so I know how, what and why is involved with making a certain unit.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Right, so that's quite the wall of text... as you can see the "create" actions all have different events, and I have no clue what they all do, but they're editor made, generic unit events... Should be fine, right?
Yes that rules out an actor message causing the issue. What is your Actor: Aliases + property set to? Also have you made any changes to the Hosting: Host +, Hosting: Host For Properties +, Hosting: Host Site Operations +, Hosting: Host Supporter + or Hosting: Hosted Attachments + properties? Are they all listed as grey?

hopy

Reaction score
Yes that rules out an actor message causing the issue. What is your Actor: Aliases + property set to? Also have you made any changes to the Hosting: Host +, Hosting: Host For Properties +, Hosting: Host Site Operations +, Hosting: Host Supporter + or Hosting: Hosted Attachments + properties? Are they all listed as grey?

Field Bob (Bob, Unit)
Actor: Aliases - (_Unit|_Selectable)
Actor: Index 0 _Unit
Actor: Index 1 _Selectable

Field Bob (Bob, Unit)
Hosting: Host + _Selectable:Implicit:Implicit: )None): Disabled
Hosting: Host For Properties + Implicit:Implicit: )None): Disabled
Hosting: Host Site Operations + Disabled: Disabled
Hosting: Host Supporter + Implicit:Implicit: )None): Disabled
Hosting: Hosted Attachments +

((What are these fields for?))

Eddited because the world editor likes smileys.

EDIT=============================================================

MWAHAHAHA!! I've done it! A gaint Zeratul 3 times the size of a Thor named Bob...
Somehow the Hosting and some other stuff got automaticly changed (I'm 100% sure I didn't do that). Resetting that back fixed it somehow... Still haven't got a clue on what those fields do...

Thanks a ton for the help. I doubt I can really create a unit from scratch yet, but I've gotten a good look around the Data Editor during the process.

My advice to all: Make a gaint Zeratul, and spin him around in circles (or spam click on two opposing sides from him) and look at his cloak. :D

EDIT ON THE EDITTED EDIT!===========================================
When Bob dies he vanishes. I changed the model to a Drone, cause a gaint Drone called Bob is amazing as well. But where a normal Drone turns into a pile of dead Drone, Bob just vanishes. Where is this fixed? I can't really find anything concerning this... Don't tell me this is done in events... xD

Other than that... the weapon now shows up normally, but the armor doesn't show up (not even an icon, or anything). Where does this show up? Cause it doesn't even show movement.

And third of all... (sigh, I know)... Bob has a shield (which shows up in his UI, don't worry), but whenever he is attacked on his shield I get the following error message (in-game):
USER: [ac 1] CActorShield[ProtossShieldFull] Could not find e_attachShield or a dynamic shield attach on unit [ a0 1] CActorUnit[Bob] with model Drone.

I've learned my lesson... copie/pasting from now on... and if that doesn't work, I'll just give up. :D Screw this stuff. xD

hopy

Reaction score
I'm really sorry to keep bothering you guys with this, expect you're all as sick and tired of it as I am by now, but I do still need some help. :(

EDIT=============================================================

MWAHAHAHA!! I've done it! A gaint Zeratul 3 times the size of a Thor named Bob...
Somehow the Hosting and some other stuff got automaticly changed (I'm 100% sure I didn't do that). Resetting that back fixed it somehow... Still haven't got a clue on what those fields do...

Thanks a ton for the help. I doubt I can really create a unit from scratch yet, but I've gotten a good look around the Data Editor during the process.

My advice to all: Make a gaint Zeratul, and spin him around in circles (or spam click on two opposing sides from him) and look at his cloak. :D

EDIT ON THE EDITTED EDIT!===========================================
When Bob dies he vanishes. I changed the model to a Drone, cause a gaint Drone called Bob is amazing as well. But where a normal Drone turns into a pile of dead Drone, Bob just vanishes. Where is this fixed? I can't really find anything concerning this... Don't tell me this is done in events... xD

Other than that... the weapon now shows up normally, but the armor doesn't show up (not even an icon, or anything). Where does this show up? Cause it doesn't even show movement.

And third of all... (sigh, I know)... Bob has a shield (which shows up in his UI, don't worry), but whenever he is attacked on his shield I get the following error message (in-game):
USER: [ac 1] CActorShield[ProtossShieldFull] Could not find e_attachShield or a dynamic shield attach on unit [ a0 1] CActorUnit[Bob] with model Drone.

I've learned my lesson... copie/pasting from now on... and if that doesn't work, I'll just give up. :D Screw this stuff. xD

So:
a) Bob vanishes on death.
b) Armor doesn't show up.
c) Error massage on shield damage.

Damn you Bob... >:

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
a) Create a model for your death animation. Most units have a separate error for this(Marine Death, for example). Go to Bob's main unit actor(In the actors tab). Open the Combat: Death Effects +. Select the first type(Normal) and change the model.

b) Change the UI: Life armor icon?

c) This is caused by you using a non-protoss unit, most likely. All protoss units have special attachment points for their shields. This is where the shield model originates from. Non-protoss units don't have this. Here's the solution: http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/re...isual-shields-terran-or-zerg-with-shields/#p2

I think you only need step 2. To summarize: Go to Bob's model. Open the Attachment: Attachment Properties+ field. Create a new attachment property. Set the ID to Origin and set the shield radius to something (like 1-2). Change the Squib type to shield. Press okay.

hopy

Reaction score
Alright, thanks again for the reply, you guys helped me a ton already. <3 I liked for your liking of likes.

a) Create a model for your death animation. Most units have a separate error for this(Marine Death, for example). Go to Bob's main unit actor(In the actors tab). Open the Combat: Death Effects +. Select the first type(Normal) and change the model.
I don't quite understand how I managed to overlook this... I still find it odd that every other animation gets added automaticly with the model (attacks and such), but the death has to be done seperately. :D

b) Change the UI: Life armor icon?
And there I was looking at the unit, while it was on the actor all this time. Yes, I'll admit this was most likely the dumbest question I've asked ever. It was on my "list of stuff that doesn't work" (long list. :D), and thought I'd ask, without really looking around as much as I'd normally do.

c) This is caused by you using a non-protoss unit, most likely. All protoss units have special attachment points for their shields. This is where the shield model originates from. Non-protoss units don't have this. Here's the solution: http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/re...isual-shields-terran-or-zerg-with-shields/#p2

I think you only need step 2. To summarize: Go to Bob's model. Open the Attachment: Attachment Properties+ field. Create a new attachment property. Set the ID to Origin and set the shield radius to something (like 1-2). Change the Squib type to shield. Press okay.
Alright, working perfectly. No error messages, and a shield showing up. Added the Psi Shield ability and that somehow made the shields look nice, as well as block missiles as it's supposed to.

Now one last question (don't worry, Bob's doing fine). Wont bump this one or anything, just wondering for a moment. Is there a way to see what certain abilities, effects and behaviors do? Like a list of some kind.

Psi shields for example, used it here, but I have no clue what it actually does. There's no way of exactly telling what half of the stuff in the ability/effect/behaviors do. Same for Defence Matrix, what the hell does that do? :D

Anyways, thanks a ton for all the help, you guys are amazing. Hope I'll be able to repay by helping soon enough.

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
The best way of telling what an ability does is to test it in game :)
(You can also check out the button for the ability to see the description though)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.