[Data Editor] wc3's collision sze?

Im_On_56k

Hm...
Reaction score
Movement - Radius field in the data editor. Range is 0 - 7.75 so small increments can make a huge difference.

Might want to take a look at Movement - Pathing Footprint also and try increasing the size of it with addition to increasing the movement radius.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Yes, that works for colliding units, but it doesn't work to colliding doodads (trees in my case). I want the big unit to be unable to pass through 2 trees whereas the small guy can sneak through. I found the radius field already, but it didn't work, so I assumed it only affected the pushing.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Yes, that affects doodads (yet it's limiting as I can't set a value by myself - but usable). Sadly, adding such a footprint makes my unit unable to walk (removing it, makes it able to walk again - so it IS the footprint). Do you know why this occurs? Or better, how to fix it?

Im_On_56k

Hm...
Reaction score
From my understanding of the footprint you are able to make custom pathing for units, doodads or whatever. I believe a 1x1 footprint is equivalent to one small square with the grid setting on. View -> Show Grid -> Small. So if you assigned a 1x1 footprint to a tree and placed them like the following (x is a tree)

[x][ ][x]

That means a unit with a 1x1 footprint would be able to walk through it. But a 2x1 or larger unit couldn't. Now say you had a custom model of something where the middle of it is cut out so you would want to let a unit walk through it. You could make a custom footprint say a 3x3.

[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ]

You would assign unwalkable pathing to the left and right, but leave the middle pathable.

[x][ ][x]
[x][ ][x]
[x][ ][x]

This would allow a 1x1 unit (1x2,1x3, etc) to walk through it.

This is my understanding of it, it's just a basic grid.

*It's always possible what I've stated above is complete bullshit and I've somehow managed to do something that made it appear this is how it works.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Yes, I understand the sizes, that's not the problem, but when I assign a 2x2 footprint to my hunter and a 1x1 to my survivor, they both are unable to walk. So my question pretty much was: what footprint to choose to make them walkable, or what to set?

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
I don't mean walking through. I mean not being able to walk at all. It's like they're stuck on top of their own footprint, disallowing them to walk. Like their own footprint blocks them.

Even if there is no other unit/doodad etc. nearby, they still cannot walk. So I'm fairly sure the footprint blocks the unit itself. Do you know how to fix that? That's what I meant kinda.

EDIT:
Terran's Thor doesn't have a footprint and actually is unable to walk through. I guess footprint is not the thing we need for units, but only for buildings/trees etc. Wondering what makes Thor different... Actor?

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
You shouldn't assign footprints to units as they will not be able to move. Footprints are designed for buildings and doodads that remain stationary. Units that move use a collision size (Inner Radius for collisions with buildings and Radius for collisions with units)

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Yes, Dave, that's what I already figured out.

But I need to find some collision with trees and other kind of doodads. I know it exists somewhere, as some units actually are bigger as others (preset sc2 units like Thor).

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
I've used basic sc2 trees - so I guess they have a footprint.

I copied all movement factors of Thor and now my big unit is unable to walk through. So I guess the building radius also affects doodads - rather weird though.
Or it was the fact my Marine-based unit had some kind of "unused ground 09" set by default... Oh well, it works.

Solved - thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.