UK News David Cameron is UK's new prime minister

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Conservative leader David Cameron has become the new UK prime minister after the resignation of Gordon Brown.

Mr Cameron, 43, entered 10 Downing Street after travelling to Buckingham Palace to formally accept the Queen's request to form the next government.

He said he aimed to form a "proper and full coalition" with the Lib Dems to provide "strong, stable government".

Tory sources say Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg will be deputy prime minister in the new government.

In a speech outside his new Downing Street home, Mr Cameron said he and Mr Clegg would "put aside party differences and work hard for the common good and the national interest".

Full Story

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about British politics... Is this good or bad, from a perspective that enjoys freedom and peace?

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
It would depend.

As a Labour supporter I'm obviously unhappy about this, but I'm pretty sure that whatever happens the Conservative party won't last long.

David Cameron basically used his advertising campaign to say why not to vote for Labour, rather than why you should vote for him. The majority of his speeches were used to bash the Labour party for all of their mistakes, forgetting that they have actually done quite a lot for us in the 13 years that they have been in power. The fact that he got elected just says to me how much people actually care about the policies, because Cameron certainly did well not to discuss many of them.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
David Cameron basically used his advertising campaign to say why not to vote for Labour, rather than why you should vote for him. The majority of his speeches were used to bash the Labour party for all of their mistakes, forgetting that they have actually done quite a lot for us in the 13 years that they have been in power. The fact that he got elected just says to me how much people actually care about the policies, because Cameron certainly did well not to discuss many of them.
Ah, so he got in the same way as our prime minister. Gotcha. :)

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Brown's campaign was no different, and Clegg came across as a fast-talking yes-man who claimed to have all the answers but who - to me - resembled Teflon Tony during his early years. In short, they were all as bad as each other, but voting for one of the fringe parties (who had no chance of getting in) would have been a wasted vote. And considering my outright opposition to certain Labour policies - ID Cards come to mind - I voted Conservative.

And what HAVE Labour done for us exactly over these last 13 years? As far as I can tell, they've just let in hundreds of thousands of immigrants who prevented me and several of my friends getting summer jobs in the last couple of years (it is currently nearly impossible for me to find a part-time job to help contribute to my University education, and I am relying on money from my parents for food). They also gave out EMA (Education Maintainence Allowance) to people who did not necessarily deserve it and certainly did not use that money to actually fund their education.
They also left towns across England as deserts as small businesses shut down and projects were started and stopped. My hometown of Bradford is known more for its large ethnic community and dirty great big crater in the centre than it is for anything else. My adopted town of Derby has one of the highest rates of unoccupied shop units in the country and also has a lot of unfinished building projects scattered around town.

So yeah. I would prefer to see UKIP in government more than anyone, but I suppose it comes down to being 'the lesser of two evils'.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Brown's campaign was no different,

I didn't get to see his campaign, our local billboards all had conservative stuff on them.

One thing I did see from Labour was a 10 minute advert highlighting all of the positive things that they have done. (Conservatives was again telling me that Labour has screwed up and that you should "vote for change"...)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.