Death Wish

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
DeathWishbanner.png

"Be careful for what you wish for"

It was perhaps three months ago in the middle of the summer season that the Oasis that our desert town, Odael, survived on, started drying up. Surviving for three hundred years our tiny city has never seen such a site, and as the days progressed the more the shoreline continue to appear around the oasis until it reduced into a mere puddle. Families that have lived here almost all of their family history, were almost forced to move. Through our prays to god, a creature arrived from the outskirts of the town, to see us all. We called him a creature for we lacked a better term for what he was. He dressed in a long tattered black rope, that cloaked his entire body, a long overhanging hood covered his head and face that seem to have sprouted two unusually looking horns, one bigger then the other and not only that, when we looked towards the location of his feet, we found that he was floating, as no trails or footprints were left by the thing.
In fear we hid from the creature that was said to be sent to us by God, we hid as that was all we could do, but he somehow called to us, all of us in the town. He simply told us, "that he could pleasure any desire, make any dream a reality and bring any wish to life" and to prove it, he answered the call of the village, and the creature raised his hands, or what we thought were his hands and it started to rain and it continued till the oasis was full once more.
"However, he said to us all, no wish comes for free, as everything in this world and universe requires payment. I can make you live as kings but it will cost that of one human life" and ever since then that creature has lived with us secretly in our hearts, but knowing this temptation will our quiet and humble town still go through with it? Just to please desire for something one can not have...

Design of the Story​
The story will follow a first person narrator throughout the story, however, with each chapter the narrator changes to another character, that will explain his/her side of the story or events that occurred in secret and without the knowledge of the other characters.
At the moment they're four narrators: Nicholas Peterson, Doctor Ward Hansen, Laurence Richardson and Rachel Ewing.

For those who read/play the Death Wish roleplay, your characters are most likely in the story, but have been edited to some extent to fit the new storyline.
This new storyline will not follow the events in the Roleplay but will mention some of them. So don't expect you already know whats going to happen. :D

Main Characters
Nicholas Peterson - Nicholas Peterson, or Sheriff Peterson is an aggressive and rugged man who is dedicated to his duty as being Odael's only law enforcement. His image in the public however, is much different; as many find him to be a rather dull individual who is quick to shoot and not much of talk because of past incidents involving minor disputes that were only made worse by Nicholas' presence. Coming from a family of alcoholics and many other good-for-nothings, Nicholas is determined to gain the pride that he lost as a Sheriff and to improve the reputation of his family name.

Doctor Ward Hansen - Doctor Ward Hansen (Formally known as Professor Vang in the Roleplay) is the only doctor in Odael and is highly respected by his peers and other townsfolk. As his line of work requires him to keep secrets about his patients and their families, about medical problems and operations. Unknown to his patients though, Doctor Hansen has his own secrets about his love affair with his old neighbor, the late Kristine Mathews who is now missing and presumed dead by an unknown cause. Crushed by this event, Ward will do anything to get his true love back to life.

Laurence Richardson - Laurence Richardson, the owner of the Odael bank, and most likely the most despised man in all of Odael. His thirst for money has brought tremendous suffering to his other townsfolk. Often driving them into the poorhouse; homeless, hungry and in debt. Nevertheless when it comes to banking he is the only man that can take the task. However, that wasn't always the case, but now that the competition surrounding the town has vanished. Laurence is the only banker standing and is no where near a fool, often thinking up brilliant strategies to sell even his worse deal to unsuspecting patrons. Making his flow of money even greater, but his brilliance and logic has also made him paranoid as he starts questioning who he can trust, and who is really pulling the shots in Odael, him or someone else?

Rachel Ewing - Rachel Ewing, once a proud successful daughter and heiress of the Ewing family, a powerful wealthy family of the neighboring town of Tallenton that is due east of Odael. She wished to become an artist but her fate was changed as her twenty-first birthday approached and she was sent to Oasis-city of Odael on the basis of marriage arrangements. Where she was quickly married to Don Foxwell, a wealthy and kind gentlemen who like many before went missing, and is presumed dead nearly days after the Wishmaker arrived in the town of Odael and because of problems with his Will and the Richardson bank, Rachel Ewing did not just lose her husband but her entire livelihood as well and is now force to pay off her debts working as a Maid and Servant for Laurence Richardson, a job she is disgusted to do.

Other Characters - The Other characters include The Wishmaker, Vile, Deceit, and Luther Tulliver.
More will be added as time and the story progresses.

Chapters Coming Soon​

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.