Decaying Orbit - one of the best NUON Games

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to get this game officially released like Iron Soldier 3 from a modern publisher but is anyone interested in this or even knows what it is? It was made after NUON died by the last VM labs development guy Dragon Shadow. It is a Playstation Yaroze port optimized for the NUON. Maybe we could get this thing released officially from Songbird.

Skaht https://www.thehelper.net/members/skah-t.199/ is the author and the last VM Labs engineer and the official part of this forum.

Last edited:

midnight8

NUON & Atari VCS Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
been a long time since I messed with it. It was the last game I burned tonight from the download section, made dvd case for it and all. I think i got 10 games done tonight, not bad considering the ones i did in lightscribe took like 45 minutes each.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
It is great news that Carl Forhan of Songbird productions is considering releasing a licensed Iron Soldier 3 from Eclipse. This will generate a huge title wave from the Atari Jaguar community and hopefully some of the home brew people at the Jaguar will come over to NUON. Decaying Orbit is the best homebrew out there, imho, by far a labor of love from the last VM labs engineer to care about NUON. He freaking ported his Yaroze project to NUON and optimized it. The history of that port is on this forum buried somewhere. I think it is top 3 NUON games Tempest 3K, IS3, and Decaying Orbit.

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
i think we could get a lot more people on board with nuon if reasonable priced controllers were available

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
The controller schematic is available here on this forum buried somewhere so if someone wanted to make one to sell they could. It even has schematics for rotary which is supported in Tempest!

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
The controller schematic is available here on this forum buried somewhere so if someone wanted to make one to sell they could. It even has schematics for rotary which is supported in Tempest!
The issue is needing the "Polyface" chip. I guess a ton were found which is how the new rotaries are being made, but without this custom chip, no controllers can be made.

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
The issue is needing the "Polyface" chip. I guess a ton were found which is how the new rotaries are being made, but without this custom chip, no controllers can be made.
so, who has those chips?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently this game is available as a free homebrew download from

If you have a N501 you can burn this and play this fantastic game. This is one of those labors of love games not done for fame or money but just hell ya this is my game and check this out. It is free too if you have a Samsung N501 that can play the homebrew.

V-SNES

NUON Lover!
Staff member
Reaction score
Any progress on getting this officially released physically? I'd definitely be interested. It's pretty interesting how it almost got a physical release back in 2004. I guess there wasn't enough interest in it when they collected the questionnaires? From what I could tell, the release had looked promising based on the positive feedback and there was potential to release both a deluxe model (DVD case + manual) and a cheaper version (carboard sleeve). I haven't found any other updates after this. Did it just fizzle out or am I missing something?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
We got to get Skah_T and/or K3V back here because they were the ones about the Sampler. If Songbird reads this the Nuon Games and demo disc would be something really good to have an official release. Decaying Orbit and the Yaroze library Skah_T made to port it are pretty awesome.

sixersfan105

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
This game did get released physically back in 2005 on the NUON Games + Demos disc. Kevin Manne (K3V) mentioned relatively recently that he would look into doing another run of those discs but that he would have to get permission from the various programmers whose work is included on said disc.

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
I would love an official release, and naturally, a release that could be played on the other Nuons aside from the 501.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the key here is to emulate the environment of the Authentication Tools and produce a real disc. It is totally possible to do this if the SDK stuff will work on all NUONs if Authenticated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.