Defense Defend the Keep

Metaldrummer

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a major map project. I've made a maze, but it was easy to make and I never really hosted it on Battle.net. Anyway, here goes.

I've always wanted to make a Defense map, but as I thought about it, I wanted it to have more strategy than buying the right items, leveling a hero, and killing things. Upon thinking, planning, and doodling in Paint, I came up with the following.

Map Info
Name: Defend the Keep!
Type: Defense, Offense
Player: 8 players total: 6 defenders and 2 attackers
Description: Simply put, the defenders must defend the King and his followers by vanquishing the attacking forces, and the invaders must kill the King.
Detailed Concept:The players on the Defense team must choose a certain role in the defense, such as Engineer, Archer, Knight, etc. I wanted to make this different than most defenses, so instead of controlling a hero, you control a small number of units related to your role. The attackers, will get to choose an invading nation, each with their own special, unique features. They must break through the defense and murder the king of the keep.

Project Completion: 25%
Terrain/Doodads: 70%
Units/Abilities: 5%
Triggers: 15%
Extras: 10%

Team Jobs
What I Am Looking For:
1. I will need someone who is experienced with triggers to optimize the triggers to reduce lag and get rid of leaks.
2. I wanted to use a custom-made loading screen, so I need someone to make one about defending a keep. Once I get around to it, I will load some sketches into the screenshot section of this post of what I am looking for.

Recent Updates
1/07/09: Main planning phase nearly completed. Main map development starts within the week.
1/03/09: Triggering started, and taverns placed and edited.
1/02/09: Map layout complete. Few doodads placed. Detailed planning begins.

Defender Roles
Engineer Team
A team of engineers that build, repair, and fortify the keep's defenses.

Builder - Builders complete the foundations placed by the Engineer. Also repairs buildings and structures that have taken damage.
Architect - The Architect's job is all about researching new building techniques, and making them available to the Engineer.
Engineer - The Engineer places building foundations based on the designs researched by the Architect. These foundations are finished by the Builders.

Archer Team
A small team of archers that shoot arrows at the enemy.

Archer Captain - An Archer hero, who along with attacking the enemy, helps support his archer team with various buffs and upgrades.
Archer - Straight-forward archers with a ranged attack.

Goblin Sappers
A group of goblin sappers that create traps to surprise the enemy.

Trapper - The Trapper's job is to place traps for the enemy. Traps are invisible.
Sapper - The Sapper impedes enemy movement by tinkering with machinery or disassembling siege engines. The Sapper has Permanent Invisibility.
Decoy - Using a variety of abilities, the decoy distracts the main of enemy forces to let the Sapper go to work, or to keep allies alive.

Warlock Team
A Warlock and his minion to aid in destroying the invaders.

Warlock - A Warlock with many shadow abilities to debuff enemies and raise dead.
Minions - The Warlock can only have one minion at a time, but can choose from a few possible minions after research.

Air Force
A team of mounted air units to rain destruction onto the heads of the enemy.

Flying Machine - Uses bombs to deal AoE damage to groups of enemies. Has many upgrades.
Gryphon Rider - Can only target one enemy, but deals decent damage, and has various abilities.

Royal Guard
A pair of the King's personal guard called forward to defend the keep.

Royal Guard - An almost unstoppable melee force, these two horseman have many abilities to help them stay alive.

King's Bishops
A small religious group of units to help the allied defenders.

Bishop - Although they need to pray often, the Bishop has very powerful spells to help repel the invaders.

Worker Team
A team of engineers that build, repair, and fortify the keep's defenses.

Worker - The main resource gatherer. Used to increase team income.
Investor - Helps players invest in the Market. Can return very well, or not so well.
(NOTE: The Investor is still on the drawing board, may or may not be in the final version.)

Invading Nations
Coming soon!

Screenshots
Development:
development01bf9.jpg

Knatten

Reaction score
Sounds great. Defense maps are probably my favorite map type, I love playing them with my friends when we are on Lan. Can't wait to play this :)

Metaldrummer

Reaction score
I need some ideas for possible roles for the defenders. I want to make it so that there are more possible roles than players in the game, but I can only think of 3 or 4 so far.

Engineer - This team of units builds things such as barricades, towers (increase archer range when garrisoned),

Archer - This team of units is the straight-forward attack force against the invading enemies. (They will either each get unique upgradable abilities, or be able to use items.

Sapper - This team of goblin techies can place traps and explosives for the invading armies. Can give certain upgrades to certain teams (i.e. flaming archer arrows, exploding barricades, etc.).

Note: Don't think one hero, think a team of 2+ non-hero units.
Possibilities/Early Ideas: Warlock (raises dead, debuffs), Air Force (bombs the attacking force)

Suggestions if you have any, please!

Metaldrummer

Reaction score
Bump.

Team Jobs
What I Am Looking For:
1. I need a bit of terrain help. I have the general layout of the map done, and a few doodads placed, but I need more doodads around the keep and I need an area of encampments where the attacking nation settles while attacking the keep.
2. I will also need someone who is experienced with triggers to optimize the triggers to reduce lag and get rid of leaks.
3. If anyone experienced with Photoshop or some other editing program, I wanted to use a custom-made loading screen, so I need someone to make one about defending a keep. I'd be more specific, but I don't want to limit imagination, and I really don't have any good ideas yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.