Delay for Attack / Attack Orders

Yoww89

Delay of Attack / Attack Orders

Unlike many people think, setting both the unit's Animation Damage Point and Attack Cooldown Time to 0.000 won't make its attack instantly.
The result will be even worse if we use the action
Trigger:
  • Unit - Issue Order(Attack) Targeting A Unit

I created this tread to share my findings, making it easier if someone end up with the same questions I had.

>>1: Between the action
Trigger:
  • Unit - Issue Order(Attack) Targeting A Unit
and the unit actually start the attack there is a 0.100 delay. This is impossible to change. Thanks Blizzard. <3

>>2: The delay between the attack start and the damage being dealt is equal to Combat - Animation Damage Point value.

BUT there's one thing to add: You can't make it less than 0.010!
I know what you're thinking: "Yes I can, I just went to Object Editor and did it" and let me tell you: "No, you didn't." Altought the Object Editor will accept the 0.000 valor, the game won't, just like a lot of other data on WE.

Did I said one thing to add? Well, it's actually two: The thing that actually changes this delay is IAS (Increased Attack Speed)
As IceFrog taught me by Dota Mechanics :D, an unit's IAS can't be greather than 400% and lower than -80%. So in the case you're trying to make your unit's attack as fast as you can, setting the Damage Point to the minimum of 0.010 and giving it 400% IAS will make this delay 0.002
The actual formula is: Delay = (Damage Point) / (1 + IAS)
For example, giving -80% IAS to that same unit will make it 0.010 / 1 - 0.80 = 0.050.

>>3: This way the delay between the trigger action and the damage being dealt will be the the sum of these two. (Oh, really?)
Making the minimum delay for triggered attacks equal to 0.102

Note:
Setting the Art - Animation Cast Point of unit to 0.000 and ordering it to cast a unit targeting spell will indeed make it instantly, so that's the way to go for Dummy Casters.

I included a test map if anyone wants to try it.
And yes, english isn't my first language :)

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Make sure you keep checking out my news..
    +2
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Man, I made this account 15 years ago? Wild. :)
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Seeing J4L is definitely a blast from the past.
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Oh hey Ghan! Long time. :)
    +1
  • jonas jonas:
    J4L! What has happened in your life
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Hmm, how to summarize... Moved to the USA and got married. Became a professional software engineer and solution lead. Learning Godot for game dev. :)
  • jonas jonas:
    So you are pursuing game dev as a hobby? What industry is your dayjob in?
  • jonas jonas:
    FAANG?
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Not quite FAANG, less pay for a less hours/stress. Yeah, game dev as a hobby.
  • jonas jonas:
    makes sense. Do we have a hobby game dev subforum to showcase some work?
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    Happy Thursday
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    TGIF!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    hey tom_mai please do not archive anymore news
  • Ghan Ghan:
    AMD Ryzen 7000 next week :D
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    noice!
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    "hey tom_mai please do not archive anymore news" ----> Got it. What should we do with the "News Archive" subforum?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think leave it for real old news that cannot be sorted the reason we had it in the first place was a server issue that we do not have anymore. I don't want to get rid of the archive just not put anything in it for now until we figure it out more
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The side chat has nothing on the discord. it is not possible but the biggest thing on my wish list right now is a sidechat channel on the disord that hooks up to this...
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I've been selected for the Diablo IV beta.
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Woo!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    that is so cool
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Eh just noticed the new discord section on the side. Looks great!
    +1
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    :( feels bad I can't ever get selected for any beta I sign up for. It's annoying as heck.
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.