Technology Dell accused of selling defective notebooks - again

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A lawsuit filed in Ontario Superior Court alleges that Dell notebooks suffer from design defects that cause premature failure of the motherboard due to overheating.

The suit, which seeks class-action status, was filed on behalf of an Ontario owner of an Inspiron PC, according to articles by the Canadian Press and the Associated Press. It claims that Dell knew or should have known of the defects but sold the notebooks anyway.

The suit applies to the 1100, 1150, 5100, 5150 or 5160 models of the Inspiron. Dell settled a similar US lawsuit over one of the models and is defending itself against lawsuits over the other four, according to the Associated Press.

Last edited:

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I know someone who had to send back the battery and he was furious... I can't imagine him buying a dell again. Prebuilt computers are no good anyway... Build your own for half the price, and they're upgradeable.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
Agreed.
Never know when there is a pack of C-4 in your comp...:p

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
>Prebuilt computers are no good anyway... Build your own for half the price, and
>they're upgradeable.

Last time I checked, Inspiron is the notebook...

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I know that... but Dell are still selling computers... I felt it fit in the the current topic.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
My Dell hasn't blown up yet, and it's been with me for like five-six years now (and was total top-of-the-line when I got it). Of course, I do need an upgrade, so I might eventually build my own.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>and they're upgradeable.
So are pre-built computers.

>>Build your own for half the price
those who can, do.

Rad

Reaction score
CAN you build your own laptops?

and not all pre built are upgradeable, we got an emachines that has the AGP port stripped out of it and the motherboard is like...attached to the case

its really gay, i dont like emachines anymore

but i got a custom built that runs bf2142 with 64 players no lag at all (Low graphics, but an old card) - 650$

Upgrading this month hopefully too

...But yeah, I have a compaq presario v5000 and it doesnt overheat. I lay it next to me put my headset on whhen i fall asleep usually i dont wake up to turn it off. I leave it plugged in, the power supply thing on the charger gets extremely hot but not enough to melt anything

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>and they're upgradeable.
So are pre-built computers.

Dell maxes out the specs on their motherboards. For example, if the computer is only going to have 512 RAM, they get a motherboard with only two slots, and put two crappy 256MB DDR 300 cards on there.

Dont think you can build laptops but they are upgradable... I added and extra stick of RAM on my old Asus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.