RPG Delving RPG Project

TDN

Reaction score
This is something of a remake, or rather, currently the duplication of several subsystems of Diablo 1. As further progress is made I hope to make it more and more like Diablo 1, as the replayability of that game was very good.

The map currently makes use of randomized content, including, but not limited to:
-tree (doodad) creation
-item drops
-spellbook system similar to Diablo 1
-cages (can find items or monsters inside)
-barrels (can find items inside, are sometimes trapped)
-crates (can find items inside, are sometimes trapped)
-chests (higher item drop rate, are sometimes trapped)
-equipment racks (similar to D1 armor racks)
-skeletons (can find items, are sometimes trapped)
-traps (yes these are randomized too)
-bookshelves & book pedestals (rare, but almost always drop a spellbook)
-quests (only a few implemented so far)

Monster spawning also randomized; also chance of spawning:
-elite pack from D2 (cold enchanted, lightning enchanted, extra strong, or extra fast)
-super pack from D2 (champion, ghostly, phanatic, berserker)

I'm going to try to stay away from D2 content, but there are a few ideas from D2 that are worth bringing over. One thing I did bring over from D3 is health/mana orb drops (in the form of runes) to keep the gameplay fast and flowing.

Start with one of 4 hero types. Warrior, Mage, Summoner, Brewmaster - each start with two unique spells. Heroes can keep up to 7 concurrent spells. Any spell can be removed if space is needed for another type of spell.

Play with up to 4 players total (I'm thinking of expanding this, perhaps up to 10 or 12, but will wait for feedback here first)

The actual spells are currently more WC3 orientated than D1 orientated. Some of them are triggered (all actually, but I only count some). Current spells are experimental, I added them during the early stages of map creation to have something to test with.

Also includes:
-item swap system; a single hero can store up to 18 items, actively using 6 at any given time
-mercenaries; basic implementation is in place, I'm still deciding whether I'll keep or remove
-potion merging; system by SFilip
-increasing difficulty: 7 levels so far

Items are divided into three main categories, not including potions or spellbooks:
-Basic items
-Rare items
-Artifacts (similar to Uniques from D1 & D2)

Triggers I rather enjoyed completing:
-Quests, the existing ones are pretty funny
-Barrel spawns, they look good
-Monster spawns
-Array'd spellsystem, using spellbooks
-Inventory swap (probably the best)

/end splurg

Being still in beta stage, there is some content missing: ie. higher level spells and higher level items, however the map has reached the stage where it is good enough for testing. The code is in GUI.

The map at this stage is protected, however I do plan on releasing an unprotected version once it has 'matured'.

Camera view is 'unfixed', mainly because using a fixed view didn't look too good in the WC3 engine, though perhaps it would be better if I test various smooth scrolling methods, not sure. Additionally an unfixed viewpoint allows for easier testing. I may or may not make the viewpoint fixed to the hero in future.

I'm mainly looking for help with ideas, including:
-other randomized content
-trigger spells (hoping to make all spells triggered eventually)

The other thing is the terraining is very basic. I'm not a good terrainer and I prefer to spend time on other parts of the map design, mainly triggers. I wouldn't mind getting help from someone who is more into the terraining side. I'm looking to get a more dungeon-like feel to the map.

Another great addition of course would be randomized dungeons. I would be immensely pleased if anyone capable comes forwards. I'm not looking for a maze; the emphasis is on 'dungeon' aka something as similar as possible to the first four levels of D1. I have seen a dungeon proto-type map before so I know it's possible, but I do not have the maths concentration/skill required for duplicating or even copying such a feat.

Screenshots:

delvingrpg1.jpg
delvingrpg2.jpg
delvingrpg3.jpg
delvingrpg4.jpg
delvingrpg5.jpg
delvingrpg6.jpg

Download map:
Delving RPG v0.8 - link is broken last I checked
http://www.epicwar.com/maps/178829/ - same version, just a link that works

Tags: procedural generation

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Umm.. ok if you're posting your map knowing the consequences.. ok.. but uhh.. I noticed in the 2nd to last screenshot with the quest, he uses "..." at the end of the sentence, like he doesn't really care and he's being like "Yeah after the millionth time" Add some emphasis man! EMPHASIS!

Did ya do this on your own? good job so far :p

TDN

Reaction score
Yeah the "..." implies he trails off almost whining, as if he knows he's gonna die :p

Yes I made this map from scratch; had no help yet aside from a few questions answered here at the helper.

Umm.. ok if you're posting your map knowing the consequences.. ok..

Consequences, meaning?

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Posting your map on such a public site like this, you run risks of "theft" as I guess you would call it. If you're posting it for sole purpose of having others edit it, that's fine I guess, but if you're posting it expecting people to give you edits of it so that you can work off of those, I don't think it works quite like that.

Offtopic:

Gawd I can't WAIT for july 27th! Starcraft 2 is coming out and with library edits (multiple people editing a map at the same time) my life will be complete.

TDN

Reaction score
I'm mainly looking for ideas, but also a dungeon generation system, for which a person does not need access to the map to create. As I said, I'm hoping to release an unprotected copy once the map has progressed further.

I encourage anyone checking this thread to try the map out, the screenshots don't really do the map justice as the strongest point is the randomized content rather than aesthetics. I often found myself playing longer than necessary during my test runs because the spawns are really great so far.

Saintbob

Reaction score
Hey,
Just a few areas to look at...
I know its only in Beta stages, but you haven't told us a story line to you're RPG, would be nice to know if you have put any lore in it, or give us a back story.

Also the terrain is a bit 'Flat' try increasing the pleaseability of the terrain, as i know a few people will load the map, look at the terrain and just /quit, just because the terrain isn't up to the high standards most people are a custom too.

If ya need any help on improving, or changing the Terrain, then im more than willing to help, but try looking into some of the tutorials on terraining, and see if you can make any changes.

:D

TDN

Reaction score
I don't do terraining, tutorials or not; I find it too time consuming and I'd rather spend that time working on triggers and other area's. I would welcome anyone who is good at terraining, if someone is able to create a new base map with decent terrain I could then port the triggers/objects across.

It's an Open RPG, no need for a story really; I find WC3 RPG storylines to be shallow and pointless for the most part anyway.

However if the demands for a proper storyline are great I can always add one in later, but the main focus is on the playability.

Saintbob

Reaction score
Ok, if you wish i can do some terrain work for you.
But you will need to give me some details, PM me if you want me to?

Thanks

Conal

Reaction score
I thought DMG TEST was a pretty cool guy.

Is this project still being developed?

Saintbob

Reaction score
I thought DMG TEST was a pretty cool guy.

Is this project still being developed?

Yeah it is, im currently working on the Terrain side of the project.
going to be a while yet before its completed. but its still in development.

drak_dragon

Reaction score
I think DMG TEST is a pretty cool guy,

eh develops projects and doesnt afraid of anything?
Fix'd.

all seriousness aside, for randomized dungeons you might want to google up how the game Rogue generates random dungeons, and just go with that? iirc its a lot like a random maze generator algorithm, and I bet if you did some research you could probably find the actual math.

TDN

Reaction score
I've done a ton of searching on Roguelikes, mazes, dungeons, and anything remotely related, but as I mentioned, the maths is a bit beyond me.

Conal

Reaction score
For starters, generate random rooms.

Take two rectangles of random widths and heights. Place one of them on a polar offset of the first rectangle. Now, remove any overlapping inside.

Now that you have a room, generate several near each other and simply connect them with tunnels. I have found that changing the terrain inside the building makes it easier to prevent the next generated rooms from spawning on top of each other (with a simple condition).

Here are some picts of rooms I spawned: A and B

Of course, you could use trees. You could even go a step further and divide the room with a wall. A door would be nice too. If you wanted a super elaborate room, you could spawn even more overlayed rectangles.

Conal

Reaction score
One way is to divide the area of the entire map into regions of the maximum possible size of room. In your case, 7*128 by 7*128. Even if a building is generated 3 by 3, it will give a nice feel with the occasional long tunnel.

You could also set the rooms' locations as an array and loop through them all to make sure the distance between each room is greater than a certain amount (this might have issues with complex rooms using multiple rectangles).

To align them to a perfect grid, take the x and y positions of the first block and modulo the positions by 128. If the remainder is not 0, move them in a direction by the remainder (in my screenshots, debug messages say "moving..").

Looking good so far.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.