General Dennis Ritchie, creator of C programming language, has died

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
Unix mentor and creator of the C programming language, Dennis Ritchie, reportedly died on 8 October at the age of 70 after a long but unspecified illness.

Ritchie's influence on the today's computing world could accurately be described an incalculable.
Born in New York in 1941, Ritchie was from the generation of great minds that made its mark in corporate years of the 1960s, taking a Harvard degree in physics and applied mathematics to his first important job at Bell Labs in 1967.

Ritchie was a major influence the most famous thing ever to come out of that company, an operating system called Unix. First run up by colleague and fellow computing Ken Thompson in assembly language for DEC’s PDP-7 minicomputer, the pair later wrote the founding document of a software movement, edition one of the Unix Programmer's Manual.

Armed with an operating system that was to change the computing world, Ritchie set about creating C, a programming language that could be used to make system and applications for Unix machines.

It would be flippant to say that the rest is history but at the time it certainly didn’t seem so certain to the modest Ritchie himself. Asked why he toiled so hard to create C and Unix, Ritchie reportedly replied that it "looked like a good thing to do."

Too bad this will probably be overshadowed by Steve Jobs...
RIP dmr.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I told someone within the last week that it seems as if well-known people die in groups. (Michael Jackson died June 25 2009, Billy Mays died on June 28 2009, as well as some other people right around that same time period).

This is really too bad, and I really hope it's not overshadowed by Steve Jobs. :(

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Too bad this will probably be overshadowed by Steve Jobs...

It's true. Steve Jobs would have been nothing without this man.

Very sad news indeed; Rest In Peace.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Yes, but A has been developed long after B and has got nothing to do with C. Then there's also D which related.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Wow. When I heard about this I was the only one in the room to go "NOOOO!!!!!!"... No one else know who this was.

neo34rd

Reaction score
RIP. C++ is the first programming language I ever learnt. (I think my classmates might be overjoyed though, share the suffering and stuff)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.