Desertion" why is that a criminal offence?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Why are Desertion from the military a serious criminal offence?
Well, when someone hadn't actually committed any criminal act?!

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Because they signed a contract.

FireCat

Reaction score
But does they "Deserve" Jail time... Just because of that eh?

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
Yes, because they broke the agreement they had in their contract, which is illegal

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Imagine being in war. You have to be able trust your team completely. You need to know they wont just bail on you when the fighting starts. Making the punishment for desertion high lowers the risk of it happening.

FireCat

Reaction score
Imagine being in war. You have to be able trust your team completely. You need to know they wont just bail on you when the fighting starts. Making the punishment for desertion high lowers the risk of it happening.
Well, if you already in war, that might be really bad you leave. But still you are a human being.
Just imagine it's your first time in war. How do you know if you can manage it for real? So If you can't manage It "What Do I Know?"

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
People are screened for issues they may have during deployments. We go through tons of testing, physically and psychologically... Even before we're actually in the military; During basic training. That's what all these buffers are for: To weed out people who can't handle it. Those who can't are placed outside of the military, no harm, no foul.

People who desert can get people killed. They're traitors because they signed a contract to protect their country in exchange for the benefits of being in the military. And the benefits/sacrifices, when fully counted are not worth it. I'm a member of the military. I sacrifice and I benefit. And it's not fair or overall beneficial for me.

And I love every damn minute of it. I wish I could say people who can't handle it or aren't in love with the idea of being there shouldn't be in the military. But with less than 1% of the American populace already IN the military [or whatever the percentage is] you can't make those kind of choices because then we wouldn't have enough people. We have to entice people with school, financial "benefits" and experience for your after-military resume. Otherwise we just wouldn't have enough.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Well, if you already in war, that might be really bad you leave. But still you are a human being.
Just imagine it's your first time in war. How do you know if you can manage it for real? So If you can't manage It "What Do I Know?"

Then you probably shouldn't have signed a CONTRACT saying you'd DIE and not RUN AWAY. Pretty sure it covers all that.

And you only have one percent because that's what the military chooses to hire. Not for lack of volunteers.

FireCat

Reaction score
Hmm how long are the contracts for the military?

Then you probably shouldn't have signed a CONTRACT
Even if you get past all of these test like Seth Cross said. But still you can't be sure you would MANAGE it later on.

Well, Isn't there anything you can do without desert it?

Btw: Protect our country, It's a good thing, but that isn't what military does now a days. Really!

DM Cross

Reaction score
Then you probably shouldn't have signed a CONTRACT saying you'd DIE and not RUN AWAY. Pretty sure it covers all that.

And you only have one percent because that's what the military chooses to hire. Not for lack of volunteers.

Correction.

That's what the military has the budget to hire. Not for lack of wanting more people.

Military contracts are technically for 8 years. You can do either 4 or 6 active, then either 4 or 2 years are considered reserve years where you can be called back in but it's not planned for you to work for the military.

At least, that's for the AF.

The military doesn't protect our country? I don't know what country you live in, but I'm pretty damned sure the United States military protects the United States pretty damn well.

FireCat

Reaction score
The military doesn't protect our country? but I'm pretty damned sure the United States military protects the United States pretty damn well.
That's not what I meant And I didn't say that!.
I mean, why are US military forces still in Afghanistan?
I kinda don't understand that.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Because if we left everything we helped build would collapse shortly after? Because some people over there actually WANT us to stay over there to help them?

Even if we pulled completely out of one area, we'd just re-focus on another area... It's going to be like that for a long time to come, I'm sure.

FireCat

Reaction score
^ Ah I see. Well, now that that has been cleared up to some extent.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Hmm how long are the contracts for the military?

I actually looked at joining the Navy recently, their contracts were for 2-4 years (+ the remainder of 8 in the reserves), but the good ones were all 4 years (the ones where they actually train you for something useful) - another reason is that in that 1st year of duty, you will be receiving tons of training that costs the military a lot of $$ - they invested that money in you, and you would be running off with that knowledge/training without actually repaying the military by using that training for helping them

FireCat

Reaction score
you will be receiving tons of training that costs the military a lot of $$ - they invested that money in you, and you would be running off with that knowledge/training without actually repaying the military by using that training for helping them
But still. "you will pay with your life" and you signing your life away..

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
But still. "you will pay with your life" and you signing your life away..

no.. since then they lose their investment - do you realize what the fatality rates are in the army? considering that you won't be using drugs, and will be fit + not malnourished, I wouldn't be surprised if it's safer to be in the army than quite a few other places - not everyone is constantly getting shot at (that only happens when there is actually a war going on)

FireCat

Reaction score
no.. since then they lose their investment - do you realize what the fatality rates are in the army? considering that you won't be using drugs, and will be fit + not malnourished, I wouldn't be surprised if it's safer to be in the army than quite a few other places - not everyone is constantly getting shot at (that only happens when there is actually a war going on)
I have no idea. But I guess I agree with you on this point and that's a good thing! But Just remember that there are other potential risks for attacks, Such as terrorism etc... Not Just war

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I have no idea.

I just looked up the numbers, chances of dying while serving in the U.S. military (across all branches) is 0.14%, compared to 0.8% (chance of dying per year from living in the U.S.) - and it is safer to be young, the death rate is only 0.5% if you are between 15-24 in the U.S., but still much higher than what it is in the military - also, the number of people in the U.S. actually killed by terrorism is next to nothing.. sept. 11 included

FireCat

Reaction score
Ah, well, I guess, it's pretty safe than. Well, as long as you don't become a deserter hmm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.