Detecting Play Mode

L

LazyCoder

I played this one really great map on B.net called Area 51. Then I lost, and I got out of battlenet, went into single player mode, and played the map, well, I choose my weapon and I am given the defeat box. I then tried to play the same map, by myself, under multiplayer IPX, and I was able to play. How did they do that? The only difference between single player and multiplayer is that in single player the centerview thing moves towards a location and in multiplayer, it instantly moves to a location.

Anybody know how they did that?

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
without knowing more we have nothing to go by. It could be anything. Even something like the view moving over a crash unit.

L

LazyCoder

No, the game doesn't crash. It just plays a sound that you are dead (a vital sigh monitor flatlining) then it gives me the defeat box.

L

LazyCoder

I found out how! (www.staredit.net)

You make a trigger that sets a switch, then it centerviews somewhere, then it immediately clears the switch. Then the trigger after that, can tell the mode by whether the switch is set or cleared (set = single player). :D

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
ell, i dont know the point of that. The map more likely has a system that requires other units to be in-game owned by other players which dont exist in sp maybe? Because simply ending the game whenever you are on single player would be a stupid waste of time.

L

LazyCoder

No, because then it could just be somebody playing by themselves on IPX.

What my method does is it sets a switch, then it centerviews somewhere (a block action trigger, which is only block action in singleplayer) then it clears the switch. Then it detects the switch state. If they are in singleplayer, the switch will still be set because the screen is still scrolling to the centerview point, and it hasn't hit the clear action yet. If it was multiplayer, the screen would have instantly snapped over to the centerview point with enought time to exxecute the rest of the trigger before going on. Try it. It really works.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.