Detecting Water?

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Simple question: Is there a [trigger] condition that allows me to check whether a unit is standing on/in water or not? I plan on putting this in a library for others to use, so I can't use pre-created regions.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Got an alternative... Maybe.

Are there any spots on your map with cliff heights (not terrain heights) equal to the height at the point the water is placed at?

If not, you can use the integer comparison "cliff height at point == 0" (0 is most-likely your lowest height and thus the cliff height at the water area. This will also filter the non-visible water because it's "underground").

Atm, I don't have a different solution (Besides regions but meh. You could eventually cover a region over the entire water area for a 2nd check, in case you have low cliffs without water. That's what I do in my map actually).

Trouble

Reaction score
Cover any water with regions.. Name them all Water 1-xx for easy reference. Then, when you're trying to check if a unit's in water, just check if it's in any of those regions.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Cover any water with regions.. Name them all Water 1-xx for easy reference. Then, when you're trying to check if a unit's in water, just check if it's in any of those regions.

Problem:
Regions are circular or rectangular. Now, if you have a snake-ish river, you'll need 100 regions for a rather small area to make it accurate.

Severon

Reaction score
Problem:
Regions are circular or rectangular. Now, if you have a snake-ish river, you'll need 100 regions for a rather small area to make it accurate.

Sounds like a job for limits! Though I don't think this would be vary praticle to put in a triggerXD

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Well as I said, this is going in a Library, so it has to be triggered. It can't involve regions of cliff heights because somebody else using my library may have their water in a different place.

There's gotta be a way to do this without regions...could the water blocks be considered doodads or something?

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
If you use your GUI search, you'll see that it isn't possible to detect whether there is water.

However, if you try explaining what exactly you need it for (besides a library), we might be able to work out a "work-around".

Cheekything

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Is there a way to detect terrain tiles?

As I don't think it'd be called water, due to the lava and lack of boats.

Trouble

Reaction score
Is there a way to detect terrain tiles?

As I don't think it'd be called water, due to the lava and lack of boats.

Only possible in WCIII through JASS. Dunno if it can be done without regions. The new DOTA has an ability which detects if the unit is in/near water, but I'm pretty sure they used either "distance from point" and placed points along the center of the river, or regions.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
And Trouble has just found your alternative ._.
Create a doodad/unit (It'll be used as your water 'marker', we'll say that it's code is 'wter')

Then, on map initialization, make a trigger 'grab' all units of type 'wter' and create a trigger that fires when a unit enters within range.

That trigger that's fired will:
1. Check if the unit is already in a group, (We'll call it 'soaked')
2. If not, add the unit to group, soaked

Then have a function like isUnitSubmerged(whichUnit)
The function will check if the unit is in the group soaked and return a boolean.

Then, every.. 1 second? have a function that loops through each unit in the group 'soaked'.
For each unit, get all units around that unit and see if any of the units are of type 'wter' if there aren't any, remove the selected unit from 'soaked'

Or something like that..
I don't use SC2, I just happened to be passing by =x

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
In that dota they might scan around your unit whether the cliff height equals 0 at your location or near your location. Afaik, dota doesn't have any other cliffs at that height besides water?

Points would take so much time to make it be accurate.

Trouble

Reaction score
And Trouble has just found your alternative ._.
Create a doodad/unit (It'll be used as your water 'marker', we'll say that it's code is 'wter')

Then, on map initialization, make a trigger 'grab' all units of type 'wter' and create a trigger that fires when a unit enters within range.

That trigger that's fired will:
1. Check if the unit is already in a group, (We'll call it 'soaked')
2. If not, add the unit to group, soaked

Then have a function like isUnitSubmerged(whichUnit)
The function will check if the unit is in the group soaked and return a boolean.

Then, every.. 1 second? have a function that loops through each unit in the group 'soaked'.
For each unit, get all units around that unit and see if any of the units are of type 'wter' if there aren't any, remove the selected unit from 'soaked'

Or something like that..
I don't use SC2, I just happened to be passing by =x

Instead of the loop, it would be more efficient to use the "leaves range of.." function. It's the same GUI option as "enters range of..", just a different selection. And you don't need to use units/doodads - there's a function for points, and a very easy point placer.

Frozenwind - Nah, not so much. All you need to do is figure out the width of your river, divide it by two, and set the trigger to fire when unit comes within range x of point x, then place points at intervals along the river.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Instead of the loop, it would be more efficient to use the "leaves range of.." function. It's the same GUI option as "enters range of..", just a different selection. And you don't need to use units/doodads - there's a function for points, and a very easy point placer.

Frozenwind - Nah, not so much. All you need to do is figure out the width of your river, divide it by two, and set the trigger to fire when unit comes within range x of point x, then place points at intervals along the river.
Yes, but that's a lot of preplace work (and furthermore a lot of preset work in the enter/leave event), which I always try to prevent.

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Yeah that is a bit of a pain, but it would definitely work. I've created a third person shooter library for people to use (it's quite impressive actually, if I do say so myself) and I have different actors that display depending on where bullets land. It came to my attention that hitting water still stirred up dust or sparks, when it should really produce ripples or splashes.

The only problem I forsee with this preplaced object theory is that you won't be able to tell whether the bullets landed 'in' the water or on the raised land around it, which hides some of the water boxes from view.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.