US News Detroit activists call for UN help as city shuts off water for thousands

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Detroit has too much of some things – stray dogs, abandoned houses – and not enough of others, such as residents who pay their water bills.

The latest sign of Detroit’s decline came from the city’s water department, when it said in March it would begin shutting off water for up to 3,000 homes and businesses a week in an attempt to stop the utility from sliding even further into debt.

The announcement sparked outrage among activists groups, who say the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department (DWSD) is going after the city’s most vulnerable citizens to shore up its bottom line.

Now those groups have called on the United Nations to intervene. In a letter sent to the U.N. Special Rapporteur on the Human Right to Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation last week, local nonprofit Detroit People’s Water Board, Food and Water Watch and Canada-based Blue Planet Project pleaded for the world body to weigh in on the shutoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
They should limit it and just cut off the people who are becoming more and more in debt, and leave those who are making progress towards what they owe alone

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Where would people with no money go to start all over?

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I don't see what's so surprising about getting your water cut off when you're not paying for it.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Its a basic utility to live. As such, in most jurisdictions there are a lot of requisites to shutting it off - like not being allowed to. Normally its subsidized by the state and public funding goes into accounts that help pay for utilities supplied to indigent persons, and it works fine normally. But in the case of detroit, the entire city is just a scary example of what's about to happen everywhere (I.e. collapsing infrastructure, severe financial debt, and an inevitable total social and governmental collapse).

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
[...] the entire city is just a scary example of what's about to happen everywhere (I.e. collapsing infrastructure, severe financial debt, and an inevitable total social and governmental collapse).
*everywhere in the united states

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be a free for all slaughter fest.
Whoever can harvest the most 'murican corpses will get the country.

Varine

Reaction score
I could see Portugal massing meat wagons.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
And germany cheating by throwing in some jew corpses they had still lying around from before.

Varine

Reaction score
That was best comment I have ever seen. Someone else like it for me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.