Diablo 2: Cannot Connect To Bnet

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
This has happened out of the blue ... kinda ... sorta.

So, I was playing Diablo II, and I got a temp ban. If you aren't familiar with temp bans in Diablo 2, if you switch characters too fast or make games too quickly you can get a temp ban, where you can connect to battle.net but it won't let you choose your character(s). A quick fix to this is to change your IP! So, I did an ipconfig/release and an ipconfig/renew in my command prompt (win 7 btw) and ... Suddenly I cannot connect to battle.net at all! See screenshot:

30sahco.png

So, I've attempted to tracert to the USEast server and my route to their servers leave the Philadelphia area but ends in some NYC area ... see below (17th line of the tracert):

17 18 ms 27 ms 16 ms mdf001c7613r0003-gig-10-1.nyc3.attens.net [63.240.65.10]

...Then it times out.

Anyone have any idea why it would suddenly NOT work? I have a dynamic IP setup: A modem is fed a cable, which feeds an ethernet connection to my router, then I connect wirelessly to that router.

NOTE: I've also tried clearing out the battle.net registry key in a last-hope attempt, as those are automatically generated if they dont exist upon connecting.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if you connect to your wireless router, then doing a release/renew does not change your IP from Battlenet's view. It's viewing the external IP that sits on your wireless router. I would try power cycling the cable modem and possibly the wireless router as well as a first step.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I already did a modem power cycle. I'll attempt the dual modem/router power cycle. ¡Un momento!

EDIT: Hooray! I'm on! Thanks Ghan!

6qw4sn.png

Do you have any idea why only a modem reset wouldn't work? Why would that affect my ability to connect to their servers at all?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
It shouldn't. In theory, a modem reset would only be pure chance anyway because there is no guarantee that you will get a different IP.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.