Diablo RP-ing? (Simulationist Experience)

Gamism or Simulationism?

• Gamism (aand... Action!)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Simulationism (Slaying Diablo once and for all... For the nth time)

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
How many of you ever started playing for the sake of immersing into the world of the game? For the feel of being a shiny knight or a crafty caster? Also, for the feel of cutting your way through swarms of demons out in the wild? Just asking.

paladin.jpg

That's what simulationism in RPG's consists of. It is, in Diablo, in opposition to a gamist approach, where people play for the sake of action. In other words - arcade-like use of reflexes, maneuvering, and so on, not paying much attention to how the enemies look like as long as their HP and damage weren't too big to handle.

Also, simulationists sometimes disregard pragmatic considerations in the game, at the expense of the role-playing part. Like I when I abstained from using certain spells or over-used others just so that it looked like my Barb was being an action hero and jumping towards this or that enemy. Gamists, on the other hand, are prone to doing the most efficient job in clearing the levels. Everything works, as long as more enemies are dead for the same amount of time. Using a single aura on your paladin (...conviction...) for most of the game is fine, provided that mob is left behind. :D Furthermore, simulationists may be picky about the gear for more than efficiency. Like hanging on to a big sword just because it looks cool. Gamists don't mind using a shako and and enigma, even if their chars will look like anybody else's (and will probably be played the same way).

So where do you fall on the big axis?
25271659.jpg
==========================
paladin.gif

(yes, I AM biased pro-simulationism :p)

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
where is the bit o' both poll option?

Sharp

Reaction score
I'm more a gamist, i like action and thats why i love hack and slash. The best for this style IMO is diablo series (with rpg elements), dynasty warriors, samurai warriors and even warriors orochi series.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Currently playing: SP, hardcore, 8x, 8 Statpoints 2 Skillpoints per level, no item sale/item buying (only self gathered items, and for reparation find the money yourself). Does that make me weird?

Ioannes

Reaction score
Currently playing: SP, hardcore, 8x, 8 Statpoints 2 Skillpoints per level, no item sale/item buying (only self gathered items, and for reparation find the money yourself). Does that make me weird?

This isn't vanilla D2, is it?

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
This isn't vanilla D2, is it?

Well... Not 100%. The only thing that I modified is the stats & skills per level in order to cope with the 8x and no items. I used PlugY to do that. So apart from that it is Vanilla.

EDIT: No, I'm not even allowed to use deckard cain to identify my items. If I want something Identified, I gotta find me an identify scroll! If I want a tome, I better find it!

Ioannes

Reaction score
Hm, 8x, with using the townsfolk, is completely playable for normal and nightmare. For the record, you switch to pl1 for Hell until you can survive Act5 and if you do you're good to play the previous four on Hell 8x as well.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Hm, 8x, with using the townsfolk, is completely playable for normal and nightmare. For the record, you switch to pl1 for Hell until you can survive Act5 and if you do you're good to play the previous four on Hell 8x as well.

I'm not a good player, just playing verrry casually.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
I'm a practical simulationist. I definitely focus a lot on the story and realism, probably more than the action. I think I do this with every game and sci-fi movie. To this day I still have hours-long conversations with my brother about the Star Wars story.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a practical simulationist. I definitely focus a lot on the story and realism, probably more than the action. I think I do this with every game and sci-fi movie. To this day I still have hours-long conversations with my brother about the Star Wars story.

Oh sweet, I sometimes have discussions with friends about some games with epic storylines (like legacy of kain) but they never last more than 20ish minutes.

Ioannes

Reaction score
Oh sweet, I sometimes have discussions with friends about some games with epic storylines (like legacy of kain) but they never last more than 20ish minutes.

People don't appreciate lore nowadays :p

I liked discussing Wc3's story when it was still out, but with WoW and the many new books I haven't kept up :( But it's fun, I agree!

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
The only lore I've ever been interested in is Elder Scrolls. But while playing WoW, I was a "stimulationist" in the sense that I was an explorer. I used all the useful equipment (but was actually concerned about the look), always casted the spells without reservation, and drank/eat/wore whatever was needed. I suppose this comes natural to me because I'm that way in the real world. I can appreciate the aesthetic, but I don't go to extremes to enjoy it.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
I guess I'm a simulationist
it's the reason why I always start a new Wc3 campaign every once in a while (Arthas nostalgia :()

I always prefer storyline over action, both in games and movies

same for WoW
although Wow's story is a ballsack, lvling by doing quests is way more fun than by grinding through dungeons

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.