dialog item retrieve an image from a variable?

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I'm creating a map with a lot of dialog buttons, and would like to handle the button creation with a bit more grace than having to copy/paste all the code for every button I create. It's just gonna be very frustrating when I decide I want to change something in one button and then I have to do it for all the others, etc.

It may be the GUI nightmare, or maybe I'm just blind. How do I set the image for a dialog item from a variable?

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I swear our learning curves and game must be identical. I was just coming on here to post a thread asking if anyone had pointers on how to approach a LOT of dialogs with some grace and minimal redundancy...

What I wish we could do would be (and if Gex gets in here and tells me to download his beta client then i'm going to scare him away) would be to make my own custom data type. then I could set an image, tooltips, etc etc to each button easily.

I'm playing with it now, so we can share our successes... you can set an image to a "dialog item" i believe. But a lot of the image functions are kind of buggy...

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Let's hope it's possible and someone has the answer. For the time being I've just resorted to hard coding the most important parts and working on different parts of the map until I know more.

overload119

Reaction score
If I understand what you mean, you want to create a variable of type Image?

If so,

Create a new variable.
Select --File as the variable type. (It's at the top of the drop-down list along with Point, Integer, Player Group, etc)
Then select Image as the File Type.

Then you can assign it a value if you want.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Ahh! I hadn't even noticed any of those special variable types up there. I've been looking for Game Link as well.

Thanks, you really helped me out here

Dan

Reaction score
Ohhh... "record" is just what i needed... haha it's like a struct...missed that.

so you can have it save tons of variables for use as a group. Now my dialog ordeal is underway.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Ohhh... "record" is just what i needed... haha it's like a struct...missed that.

so you can have it save tons of variables for use as a group. Now my dialog ordeal is underway.

"Record"s are structs.
Are you sure you want to use them though?
Right now they are nothing but a bunch of variables since you can't pass them as an argument/with a return statement, you can't allocate/destroy them and so on. At least, that was last time I checked.
As for data types, you might just use integers + arrays. Thanks to the new GUI, it's actually quite fun.
Oh, I just got an awesome Idea lol.

Dan

Reaction score
I noticed they don't quite have the same properties as I would expect. nevertheless, records act as a nifty way to group stuff up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.