General Diamonds Are A Sham And It’s Time We Stop Getting Engaged With Them

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
They could invest the money in assets that will compound over time and someday provide a nest egg.

Instead, they trade that money for a diamond ring, which isn’t much of an asset at all. As soon as you leave the jeweler with a diamond, it loses over 50% of its value.

Americans exchange diamond rings as part of the engagement process, because in 1938 De Beers decided that they would like us to. Prior to a stunningly successful marketing campaign 1938, Americans occasionally exchanged engagement rings, but wasn’t a pervasive occurrence.

Not only is the demand for diamonds a marketing invention, but diamonds aren’t actually that rare. Only by carefully restricting the supply has De Beers kept the price of a diamond high.

Countless American dudes will attest that the societal obligation to furnish a diamond engagement ring is both stressful and expensive. But here’s the thing – this obligation only exists because the company that stands to profit from it willed it into existence.

So here is a modest proposal: Let’s agree that diamonds are bullshit and reject their role in the marriage process. Let’s admit that as a society we got tricked for about century into coveting sparkling pieces of carbon, but it’s time to end the nonsense.

http://au.businessinsider.com/why-diamonds-are-a-sham-2013-3

Nice read. "He has a very patient wife.". Lol!

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
lol "A shiny piece of rock" > Hmm a market manipulation?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont like diamonds anyways. Look pretty boring in my opinion.
I would much rather have a ruby, saphire or emerald.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.