Health Did Science find a way to grow back a severed finger? With Pixie Dust?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Scientists are claiming an amazing breakthrough - regrowing a man's severed finger with the aid of an experimental powder.

Four weeks after Lee Spievack sliced almost half an inch off the top of one of his fingers, he said it had grown back to its original length.

Four months later it looked like any other finger, complete with "great feeling", a fingernail and fingerprint.

The secret to the astonishing regrowth is said to be the powder described by Mr Spievack, a Cincinnati model shop salesman, as "pixie dust".

Last edited:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I don't see how this is just breaking out now.
Couple of months ago, I read practically the exact same article.
Also, I had looked up why we can't regrow limbs and such, scar tissue seems to be one factor.

EatShrooms

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Was it a painful recovery at all? They don't really say what he went through.

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
But Professor Stephen Kaye, a consultant plastic and hand surgeon at Leeds University, poured cold water on Dr Badylak's claims.

Asked if he was surprised that Mr Spievack's finger "grew back" he said: "Not in the slightest."

Prof Kaye added: "The pictures I've seen on the web show a wound I would have expected to heal and regenerate in any case.

"The end of the finger is extremely good at regeneration. The pictures we've seen on the web show no evidence of loss of bone, nerve or tendon material, but regeneration and repair of skin - which is exactly what the fingertip does."

And there ya go.

EatShrooms

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
And there ya go.

They don't really say what he went through, what his recovery was like. They just keep saying that it regenerated, or healed. Had he put pressure on the finger? Did he wrap it up? I mean, I'd imagine if during this healing process someone pressed on it enough it could form a callus and disrupt the regrowth. It seems like it's pretty sensitive. I got a lot of questions for this.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoever thought up this headline deserves some kind of award LOL!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.