Discussion: Effectiveness of Blizzard's modular approach to objects

Discussion in 'Starcraft 2 (SC2) Editor Help' started by krainert, May 3, 2010.

1. Ancanus

Ancanus [ancanus@TheHelper.net]# _

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    This.

Also, I am baffled that they added tooltip descriptions to the basic and intuitive fields, and did nothing for the obscure ones.

2. Advice D.

Advice D. New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    You can still script most of it ;)
    I have to agree with you on the fun factor though - Jass had a lot less hunting for fields and was all-around a lot cleaner than most of the Data Editor (The Huge Modifications window is a sore point - I didn't much care for scrolling around boring stats to get to the Hero Attributes in WC3, let alone the ridiculous volume of uncollapsable and incredibly specific fields that will rarely be used as a levelup bonus for a Hero in SC2)
    I based mine off of the Zealot's charge, with a few alterations - Apply Behaviour (+Speed Buff) and Order Unit (Move to Target Point) with a validator to remove the buff when the target is reached or another order is given. Unfortunately, you could still issue move orders without losing the buff, so the buff needed a few flags to prevent any user action during the charge/dash.

3. 13lade619

13lade619 is now a game developer :)

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    didnt know that about validators.. i'll try experimenting with them.

4. tom_mai78101

tom_mai78101 The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host Staff Member

Ratings:
    +967 / 4 / -1
    Galaxy Editor really is that hard?? Reading all of the posts made me having second thoughts on buying the game for a moment.

5. Ancanus

Ancanus [ancanus@TheHelper.net]# _

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    It's not hard in the sense that it is unusable.

It's hard in the sense that you if you want to use a new feature, your thought process better be sync'ed with the developer's. Nothing a few decades of practice and some online tutorials can't fix though.

6. 13lade619

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    it's hard 'cause it's new.

give it a while and you'll see people that'll tell you its easy.

7. celerisk

celerisk When Zerg floweth, life is good

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Reminded me of this:
    [YOUTUBE]rOtEQB-9tvk[/YOUTUBE]

• Like Like x 1
  8. 13lade619

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    nice one celerisk!

9. punwisp

punwisp New Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Flopped? Far from it.

Even if the data editor and trigger editor are complicated, which is a good thing and bad thing, the terraining part isn't, its greatly expanded since wc3, so theres plenty of room for unique melee maps or terrained maps in general.

It didn't flop, we assumed it would be super user friendly like Wc3s. Well, its not, what ya gonna do? Re-learn and move on.

Wc3's editor was a HUGE jump from the starcraft 1 editor, this is pretty much just as big as a jump, and the bigger the jumps, likely the more complicated it may become. Its still lot more user friendly then most editors out there for games. And it will be a while before everyone figures all the kinks out and we have another community full of experts.

And despite the more complicated editor, the biggest good is

1. It will greatly separate shitty maps and good maps, making clones from scratch harder

2. We will see some VERY unique maps, this could be the mass wars, RPGs, defense maps.

So much more is open to us, of course the data is different, its re-designed, we shouldn't have assumed it would be the same style as it was almost a decade ago.

And there gonna add a actual map protector, the complex new editor isn't the protector itself, though it helps vs noobs.

And to sum it all up.

The editor is amazing But its not as simple as Wc3s, it carries a lot more data, and lot of data has been renamed and re-organized, so Wc3 mapper pros may as well be noobs for a while. Terraining is the only familiar field terrainers can easily catch up on.

But really Galaxy will eat those who were super noobs with wc3's editor, even for a good mapper the new style and everything will make your head explode at first. But it doesn't take long to get used to it, takes a bit longer to figure everything out.

Yes its hard, this isn't wc3, but most things that took a lot of time and effort to do in triggers you can do in the data editor, so you have to understand the fact its going to be a bit more complicated, and a new experience.

Now we will all do the following

Mess with its capabilities, trial and error, post our finds, learn, until we get to the point its a piece of cake.

10. Doomhammer

Doomhammer Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I just hope that things ARE going to change until release...

11. 13lade619

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    Twitter Q&A

12. Narks

Narks Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    yes, this is definitely true: even though the editor has gone up in complexity, its still pretty easy to use for the amount of control you get compared to other games

13. punwisp

punwisp New Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I remember how weird and complex it was just to add water in C&C 3.

Speaking of water, its retarded that when you use the dig tool that water doesnt pop up eventually.

14. KingTobiazZz

KingTobiazZz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    you mean it is easy to add water in SC2? the only thing I can create are floating squares of lava ^^

15. krainert

krainert Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    SAGE is a pretty extreme example ;)

Try raising the ground around it.

After reading a few more tutorials and working with this and that I'm beginning to see at least one advantage of separated weapons: Hero customization. Simply switching to another weapon when picking up a new item rather than having to set endless amounts of properties is probably worth the added complexity. At present, my only complain is that the unit cloning system doesn't set new references correctly which seems to be the reason for most of the struggles - but hopefully Blizz will look into that before launching the editor for good.