Discussion: Starting and Maintaining a Forum

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Starting a forum is as simple as starting up your own "free site" by yourself or even as much as purchasing a license for software such as vBulletin. Each method is still considered starting a forum and a forum is nothing really more than a place for discussion. But what's the secret method for starting and maintaining a forum?

What do you consider a successful forum? What do you view as a "correct" method to starting a public forum and drive visitors whom eventually become members?

I personally have had much experience in this area but when thinking back, there wasn't really a set method in mind. I always believed that "content is king" but it's really not the case. Sure unique content can bring you so far but how do you get past that couple hundred or even a couple thousand views a day? What brings you past that?

Here's a couple situations

1. You have a very unique and niche oriented forum, you get a couple friends that are dedicated to discussions and you slowly gain more enthusiasts, you rack up a couple hundred posts almost daily but you don't really have too much growth. The content is very unique obviously as you're very niche oriented but you really only attract people that are interested in your certain subject.

Pros: Loyalty, Unique, Content, Good Discussions
Cons: Low Activity, Slow Growth, Low Revenue

2. Your forum is a very general subject, such as cars, sports, or gaming, which are all very very common and basic subjects. Your discussions are very general and on surface, membership is very hard to retain as there's hundreds or even thousands of websites out there just like yours, how do you retain your users? Content? What could you possibly offer that other websites do not? In the long term, sure if you start building a solid user base, more and more people would join and the growth would snowball. Nobody want's to join a forum with low activity so the more you grow, the faster you grow, and with such a general topic, visitors aren't hard to find.

Pros: Snowballing Growth, Generic Subject, Large Visitor Base, High potential revenue
Cons: Very difficult to start up, Lots of work to retain members, low loyalty, many competitors

Now if you look at analyze a couple aspects of a forum;

TheHelper: Offers mapping help for Warcraft III. That's the main point of interest for visitors, successful? I would think so. The community is also to a certain extent tight knit. Growth rate is not too high though.

Now if you look at larger forums (much larger) such as DigitalPoint or WebHostingTalk, they offer HUGE amounts of discussion but very little community, it's more of a channel of trade. The amount of growth is phenomenal as well as sustainable because of them being the largest, but what is their best aspect? Monetary Revenue, they generate huge amounts of revenue but you also lose out on the tight knit feeling some smaller forums have.

How do you gain the balance between community & revenue? What's your idea of starting a solid forum? Do you have a certain method you feel is the right way?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I read in the PC Gamer review that it was not much of an update to the game like just a re-release
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It's a good remaster. They did not want to change the game much because there are still many die-hard players out there that wouldn't like it to be a new game.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    They've said they are open to adding new content in the future, but wanted to get what's there correct first. As it is, for what you get the $40 asking price is a bit steep.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Yeah that is a high price think I am going to wait a minute and see if it goes down some.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looking forward to doing some dungeon grinding again though.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    still 101 bots on the site constantly
  • midnight8 midnight8:
    my bots got out of their cage? oh no
  • The Helper The Helper:
    these bots are from russia, china and asia they are less than they were but more than they need to be I have no idea why they hover here
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Probably because of my Headline News
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Facebook is getting fucked right now lol
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I learned one thing from the Facebook outage - BGP - I am sure Ghan is an expert in it but I did not know what the name of it was I knew there was something like that there though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Tom?
  • jonas jonas:
    We once considered doing a project on BGP looking for problems in the implementations. But we didn't get sufficient interest and Tony Li was mean to us so we said whatever
  • Varine Varine:
    hello, peeps. I got most of my computer back up to Idaho so I have passwords again after that nightmare of like 4 months
  • Varine Varine:
    We're all trying to get time off now, but holy shit. I did not expect it to be that busy. Every day was a historical record, and every week was a total sales record for like all of summer. My pay is going to almost double next summer, which makes cooking finally a viable career, I might actually afford to change industries soon!
  • Varine Varine:
    We had people ask if there was anything we could do about the fucking sun. There's like 30 inside tables and every outside table has a sunbrella thing.
  • Varine Varine:
    No, I'm sorry, I cannot move the sun and the umbrella doesn't go 90 degrees sideways. They unfortunately had to deal with a sunset across mountains and a lake, we can only imagine the horror they had to undergo by visiting our restaurant
  • Varine Varine:
    Well, they do, but they're big and blow away and a 10 foot runaway umbrella is a much bigger problem than some cunt with the sun sorta in her eyes
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Varine? Good to see you buddy! Too bad you are not in Houston I have a friend that needs Cooking staff like desperately remember if you ever want to get a different landscape, not sunsets over mountains and a lake Houston has opportunity!
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Nice to see Varine back in action.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Welcome back Varine!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    can someone answer a question in the World Editor Help forum?
  • jonas jonas:
    ok
  • The Helper The Helper:
    thank you jonas!
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll probably be here through next summer at least, I get paid decent at the moment and I expect it to go up significantly next year. Plus I'm on contract through the end of the year
    +1

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome