Discussion: Terran vs Protoss

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, just want to open a discussion because i like to talk about game balance.

I want to talk about the current terran vs protoss game.
What i have my problems with is that terran has pretty much no choice of diversity in the match up.
Terran is always forced to build exactly according to the protoss unit composition.

For example, when protoss starts getting collosi, you have to get vikings or else its gg-time.
If the protoss starts getting templars/archons you NEED to get ghosts because storms will just crush your bio otherwise.
If protoss pumps many immortals you need to get marines instead of marauders, if protoss masses stalker/zealot you need to get more marauders.

I wouldnt say it is bad that terran has counter units against the unit choice of his opponent. But the problem is, unfortunately the matchup is at its end here. There is nothing beyond this point for terran.
Its just marine marauder medivac, marine marauder medivac, etc etc etc until the protoss starts to tech into something. And then you have to respond.
If the protoss wouldnt tech up, you would stick to mmm for the entire game.
Some might enjoy this, but i think its utterly boring. I want to have some diversity in my unit comp but at this point in time the game does not offer any. (if we keep some crazy one base rushes out)

For example, mech is impossible against toss.
Siege tanks might be somewhat useful against gateway units, but they get easily crushed by immortals and phoenix, collosus are also not bad.
Thors are useless as well since, again, immortals destroy them, void rays are good against them, high templar can feedback as well for instant damage. Thors are thus not cost efficient, more so thanks to their slow movement and attack rate.
So mech can be forgotten entirely.

And starport play isnt too great either. Banshees would be okay but they are very fragile, stalkers eat them for breakfast, and observers are cheap and fast to build. Also feedback will melt them like butter in my occasions.
The ravens PDD might be pretty good against stalkers but thats it. There is no other protoss unit (which is viable to be used in this match up) against which pdd can be used. The rocket isnt the greatest skill either considering its energy and resource cost.
Damage and splash for the rocket are "okay" but its not too likely to hit fast moving units (stalkers and chargelots) , can be taken down with some micro-management and it cost so ridiculously much energy that its highly unlikely to be used when there are high templar on the field.
Dont know about battle cruisers, i think its just too high tech to get them. At the time you have access to battlecruisers you already have 3/3 bio units which, at this point, are more efficient in terms of cost to damage output.

I am pretty disappointed with the balancing in this match up. Not saying its unfair, but its boring.
Its repetetive and predictable.

Wow, lots of text there.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
About the countering chain, you are skipping the part where MMM counters any unit non AoE based composition, so basically the protoss starts it ^_^

The match up is not okay imo. There are many scenarios where one of the races just can't win if both players have decent control, but that is probably just me :p

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
About the countering chain, you are skipping the part where MMM counters any unit non AoE based composition, so basically the protoss starts it ^_^

The match up is not okay imo. There are many scenarios where one of the races just can't win if both players have decent control, but that is probably just me :p
No i certainly agree with you that there are a few, and i am not happy about it, it feels boring compared to brood war. Somewhat predictable.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Well in HOTS they are basically hitting a reset button on every match up. Hopefully the balance will be better...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see that in hots mech will become much more viable thanks to the hellhound. A good decision in my opinion.
But bio is probably still going to be a good choice against toss, tempest, oracle and mothership-core are not going to make bio less viable.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
From what I have seen, I think in hots protoss will be able to secure a nexus safer than in wings of liberty, but I think that the terran composition will be much more powerful with the new units.

Edit: much more powerful than in WoL. It is too early to say who will win in the battle field.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.