[Discussion] Weapons!

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
ok, so what have we learned?

That the Galaxy Editor is so darn complicated that we have to create literally everything for everything!

So let's have a discussion here, what have we learned about making Weapons.

Let me start:

Unlike wc3, a Weapon now is its own data type.
First, you need to create a new Weapon then give it to your unit under its Weapons field.

Now here are some basic fields for weapon data which should explain themselves...
Period
Range
Target Filters

And now the important part is the Effect field of the weapon which takes an Effect type data, doing lots of stuff.

One type of effect is Effect Damage, which deals damage instantly to the target unit.
Kind - sets what kind of damage it does.
Amount - is how much damage it does.

Another useful type of effect is a Launch Missile effect.
^ I hope someone would explain this a bit more, regarding Movers and Ammo Units (Projectile type units)

I find Create Persistent, Search Area and Set effects to be immensely useful.

Create Persistent lets you fire multiple effects off in quick succession and in any order you choose, which most commonly would be used for multiple attacks (e.g. Banshee, Thor, Viking) but can also be used quite easily for somewhat more complex attack patterns (e.g. Fire Thermal Lance, wait 125ms, fire Psi Storm, fire two Screecher Missiles, wait 875ms, fire Nuke Damage).

Search Area is basically the "Pick every unit in circle matching condition" function from WC3 streamlined for use in weapons and abilities. You can use it to make forked lightning-style abilities and weapons, or simply to apply an AOE buff.

Sets are basically Create Persistents without all the timing, saving on effort and presumably system resources in weapons that require multiple effects but no delays between them, like the Marauder who applies damage and a slow debuff simultaneously.

Also, i discovered that creating a projectile is so complicated.
First you need a Projectile type Unit.
Then create create a Missile type Actor for it.
Then create a Model for your actor..

*writing more*

*Disclaimer : Most of the info written here is my own learning, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Advice D.

Reaction score
I find Create Persistent, Search Area and Set effects to be immensely useful. Create Persistent lets you fire multiple effects off in quick succession and in any order you choose, which most commonly would be used for multiple attacks (e.g. Banshee, Thor, Viking) but can also be used quite easily for somewhat more complex attack patterns (e.g. Fire Thermal Lance, wait 125ms, fire Psi Storm, fire two Screecher Missiles, wait 875ms, fire Nuke Damage). Search Area is basically the "Pick every unit in circle matching condition" function from WC3 streamlined for use in weapons and abilities. You can use it to make forked lightning-style abilities and weapons, or simply to apply an AOE buff. Sets are basically Create Persistents without all the timing, saving on effort and presumably system resources in weapons that require multiple effects but no delays between them, like the Marauder who applies damage and a slow debuff simultaneously.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.