District 9

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Saw the movie a few nights ago, overall good movie. In lieu of writing a comprehensive essay on my thoughts, I'll just do a pros/cons list.

Pros:
-CGI did not stick out like a sore thumb
-Acting was quite good
-No big celebrities that you fixate on being a celebrity instead of an actor
-Poses a race related questions to the astute viewer (makes you think)
-Movie slowly transits from a documentary format into a live action film very nicely
-Sound effects were quite cool, auditory experience in terms of ambient noises was very full
-Cinematography was well done, story flowed, shots and all were diverse, not predictable
-Interpretive ending (I would argue this is a positive thing)

Cons:
-Not much music, movie didn't need it to help set moods, which in my mind is a plus, but most people don't share this opinion with me
-Felt at parts it was action heavy
-Alien weaponry hits a point where its funny
-Lot of gore and suspenseful parts defendant on unwanted visual stimulus (weak film making IMO if thats the emotional hook)
-Poor race portrayal of African individuals exploiting aliens, comes across very heavy at points that "The blacks are bad guys too", which is bad given the movies provoking these thoughts that are the opposite of what it appears to be reinforcing. (Conflicting theme)
-Interpretive ending (Lot of whiners don't like thinking about movies)

Overall, I think its worth seeing, its very dark though, not a date movie.

I agree with most of the reviews giving it about 4/5 or 8.5/10.

GOD did the ending suck. It completely left you with the "wait, it's over?" feeling, which is terrible to do.

Perhaps if you want your abstract concepts fed to you through an IV setup.

So sephiroth, was the movie bad?

Not liking it is one thing, calling it bad on the premises of not liking it is fail cinema critiquing.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Hey now, I never said I didn't like the movie itself. I just feel that the ending was poorly constructed. The viewer was left with the feeling that much was was going on still, and the movie didn't give any subtle hints that it's coming up to the end until the last minute.

At least movies with sequels have appropriate segways in the last 10-15 minutes.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
2 of them are rated R, lol.
That really only leaves me with District 9 but, we'll see, lolol.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Probably the best movie i've seen so far this month. I give it a 10/10.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
rofl, I'm torn between seeing District 9, Inglorious Basterds, or Gamer. They all seem pretty cool.
Aliens...
Nazis...
Games...
:O

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

I have decided to make a movie that has all three. I shall call it, Grizzlebees.

ReVolver

Reaction score
Well both movies Inglorious Bastards and District9 had it's share with "subtitle reading" lol

I don't know about Gamer thou... the movie seemed to lame to watch. (recycled story)

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I had mixed feelings about this show.
Though it was a great movie, they connections and the ending felt...
I dunno, I like it and I didn't like it at the same time xD
Still, if there's a sequel, I will watch it.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
It was a frekkin awesome movie 8/10 Red Hamburgers!

Also, somehow reminded me a little bit of Cloverfield!

Atreyu

One Last Breath.
Reaction score
The best movie I've ever seen this month!!
11/10!
Nice Visual Graphics.
Good Story.
Nice Ending.

ReVolver

Reaction score
I'm buying this movie on Blu-Ray as soon as it's released, hopefully with lots of special features. :thup:

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Watched it last night, was pretty good. If you don't like pseudo-documentaries, I wouldn't bother with this movie.

I personally loved it, the little prawn was adorable. :p

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Finally watched it.
Yeah, the little one was "adorable", :D
The guy should've gone rambo and blast everyone with the robot, lol.

So in 3 years he'll be back to human?

Anyways, pretty good.

The Evolved Panda Commandant rates District 9: [8.5/10]
Well made, cool effects, and that guy did a great job for his first acting project or whatever. And Neil Blomkamp or whatever didn't disappoint on his first big thing.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Had no idea it was documentary-ish... Kinda made the movie not as good, but was still a great movie. Cool effects.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
Good movie, I liked it. Me and my dad laughed through most of the parts due to the alien weapons um "imploding" people.
What I don't understand is why in the hell wouldn't he kill the main general mercenary thats after him when he's in the giant robot thing, like really he killed everyone BUT the most determined guy.
Hoping there's a second to close up the ending, but I can't imagine a sequel being all that good

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I think the top guy was a bit better trained and keeping himself hidden better, thus harder to shoot. Plus, he obviously wasn't really trained to use the machine. He had JUST jumped into it. The shots were a little wild, he was creating a distraction, not trying to actually take the military forces on seriously.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Yeah, there were a lot of people, he was just shooting randomly. I guess it's a bit unbelievable how the commander never got hit, but hey, it's a movie, :) If he died so randomly, there would be no dramatic face-off between them.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.