Sci/Tech DIY Tesla Gun

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
robwithgun.jpg

I sat down one evening at Unit 15 in the old Rainier Brewery Building with Rob Flickenger. His projects have always been amazing – the can-tenna, shrunken quarters, building wireless networks for the UN in Africa, and writing the books (literally) on wireless networks. His most recent project pushes him even further into the mad scientist realm. He’s built a Tesla Gun.

NOTE TO READERS: This is a dangerous idea. An operator holds this device as it operates. Tesla coils and other high voltage devices can stop your heart. The operator must be ABSOLUTELY SURE that the case has a solid ground to shunt the electricity to earth, and not through you. And while I’m all about taking informed and calculated risks, this is me informing you. Ok. Read on.

When I asked him why he had started on this project, he cited Steven Sanders and Matt Fraction’s Five Fists of Science, a graphic novel in which Tesla and Twain battle the evil forces of Edison and Marconi. “How much more epically awesome can you get than a young Tesla fighting evil with a TESLA GUN?”

While Rob is undoubtedly brilliant, he had to learn a lot to make this project happen. If you made something like this out of duct tape and plastic, it would kill you. But if he wanted that Tesla Gun, he’d have to make a lot of the parts himself. Luckily for Rob, he lives in Seattle, where we have an outstanding group of hacker/makerspaces and incredible people doing crazy things in them. He went and talked to a lot of people. He learned about aluminum casting, 3D printing, working with ceramic slip, and machining — all things he had never had first-hand experience with. He learned even more about high voltage electronics. The end result is a hand-held (if you are very, very certain it is grounded) spark-gap Tesla Gun that puts out around 100k volts with sparks leaping a meter to DAGGAR*.

Read more about it here.

See a video here.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Crud, yet another time I've been beaten to the punch. I can only hope that he has not found a way to aim it yet. It looks like the electicity it fires will ground as fast as possible which means that it will be useless if you throw a cable at him that happens to touch the ground.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
This article gave me blue balls since it didn't deliver the final product...

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
The article is lies. There is no such thing as a tesla gun, it is simply a handheld tesla coil. Which I'm sure plenty of people have made before. Also 100kV means fuck-all at tesla coil frequencies as the skin effect means the current cannot go through you.

So this gun is useless because:
A: you can't aim it the spark just jumps to the nearest ground
B: it can't hurt anyone

Also current kills, not voltage. V=IR. Increasing voltage decreases current, so there would not be close to enough current to kill you at 100kV from that tiny thing.

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
That seems like good news, isn't it?
No it just makes the dude in the picture seem to me to be the dorkiest dude ever who discovered a "how to make a tesla coil" page on google, and now hes getting attention for it by calling it a "tesla gun".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.