Defense Dock Defense

Dirac

Reaction score
Dock Defense
Developed by Dirac

So i decided to create my own TD, a simple, beautifully coded, creative TD. It's theme: Nautical

The map looks a lot like Element TD, but this time its because it's a competitive TD, so it's a MUST that every player has it's own private lane, so far no multiplayer capabilities have been implemented, but expect them.
The objective of this TD isn't just only to survive the waves, but to defeat other players.

So far the TD has...

8 towers: (short description)
-The Guard Tower: simple arrow tower, physical damage.
-Rock Spire Lighthouse: slows enemies down, causes AoE physical damage.
-Send Back Tower: sends enemies back in time (original idea and models provided by Weep, coding is original)
-Arcane Injector: buffs nearby towers with 40% increased magical damage.
-Trash Collector (AKA Meat Grinder): picks up the corpse of fallen enemies, uses them as ammo.
-Tsunami pool: casts crushing wave on enemies, deals AoE magical damage.
-Wind Accelerator: sends a tornado to attack enemies dealing magical damage, slows some* of the enemies down
-Seagul Keeper: sends seaguls to attack targets dealing physical damage.
-Tentacle: deals physical damage in a very low attack range, reducing armor by 20

* Reffers to Wind Affinity, check for Global Mechanics.

1 ship: (ships work like heroes that move around the TD, they use weapons to attack random enemy targets)
-Frigate: works best with physical weapons, has armor reduction.

7 weapons: (for ships only)
-Simple, Advanced and Perfect cannons: deal physical damage, slow attack speed, long range.
-Flak Cannon: deal physical damage, very fast attack speed, short range.
-Shell Launcher: deal AoE physical damage, slow attack speed, very long range.
-Static generator: casts chain lightning on nearby enemies, deals magical damage, long range
-Flame Thrower: ignites nearby enemies in flame dealing magical damage per second, short range.

Global Mechanics:
-Wind Affinity: some of the enemies are vulnerable to wind changes, some more than others, for each level (from 1 to 10) they are more vulnerable to wind slow effects.
-Wave Spree: (not ready yet) Every time a player finishes first the round 3 times in a row an specific dummy creep spawns in it's lane, this creep can't die and takes no life from the player when it walks through the lane, it dies when it finishes the whole path. All damage done to this dummy creep will be taken into account, and when it dies, it spawns an special creep for each enemy with 90% of the damage it took as Max HP, this time it takes 3 life when it finishes the path. This is of course to cause players to kill each other.

System used:
(By Others)
Alloc
Table
T32
TimerUtils
RegisterPlayerUnitEvent
UnitIndexer
Event
Bonus
LUA_FILE_HEADER
(By me)
Damage
OnUnitEvent
Dummy
MergeSort
UnitHistory
Illusion

What i'm asking from you :)
Test the map
Read the code
Enjoy.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
sounds awesome, i definately will test it when i get home...

PS. u used one of my tower ideas :D

GFreak45

Reaction score
sorry i havent tested it yet, the day i posted that i bought sc2 and iv been adicted ever since 8D <- me zoned out

Dirac

Reaction score
I'll Update this map tonight with the following new features:

New tower: Tentacle
Multiboard with damage recount of all towers and ships
New multiplayer mechanics
Lots and lots of coding optimization (new systems and lots of clean up)

I'm currently in need of help, anyone who has skill at vJass or Zinc is very welcome.

Switch33

Reaction score
Played it a bit in singleplayer and its fun, but it's very strange how suddenly the game goes from very easy with creeps to very very hard to like impossible. You might want to try playing it out once or twice and change it so it's not so hard; or at least provide some kind of hints in-game for noobish players cause there seems to be kind of a learning curve.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Agreed. It starts off like "Holy shit, I'm killing creeps!" and the next moment it's "Holy shit, I'm leaking!". Maybe creeps should increase in strength more slowly.

Dirac

Reaction score
True, the version previously uploaded was virtually impossible after wave 38.

Updated. Current version only supports single player mode.(The TD is now possible, tested it myself)

GFreak45

Reaction score
its a ton of fun, heres some things i would change though:

more info (tell us when the healing ships are coming out and inform us about the hero at the beginning of the game)
detailed descriptions (some towers dont say what type of damage they do and how they do it)
glitch: at a certain level none of my functions worked, worker/hero wouldnt move or build/do abilities, lives went negative rather than me losing
options: autocast deactivation, continuous stream or basic level flow (if you keep it continuous you should up the time in between, 1 wave couldnt make it to the end in the time between levels), etc etc.

what i enjoyed:
the towers were unique and well programmed
the level balance seemed very strong (early levels were easy, late ones put me on my heals)
overall the game was a ton of fun and i would love to see it hit a final version

overall very fun map, since it is still in beta id give it an 8/10 but after its done i bet it will be a 10/10

Dirac

Reaction score
God do i love feedback

@more info (tell us when the healing ships are coming out and inform us about the hero at the beginning of the game)
>you bet
@detailed descriptions (some towers dont say what type of damage they do and how they do it)
>yes
@glitch: at a certain level none of my functions worked, worker/hero wouldnt move or build/do abilities, lives went negative rather than me losing
>this happens when you lose the game, not a glitch, it's just that i haven't finished the whole "you lose" code.
@autocast deactivation
>I don't know what you mean, there's only one tower that casts an spell, and it can be deactivated / activated.
@continuous stream or basic level flow
>I'm lost here.

GFreak45

Reaction score
the way it currently is, units spawn on a set timer at regular intervals, but it would be great if that interval could be increased slightly or we were given an option to only have units spawn when we kill all the units

as for the autocast i was refering to the tsunami tower, it keep casting regaurdless of whether i want it to or not, when i wanted it to save its mana for the units with a healing aura it was already at 0 without hitting them once

sorry if im irritating, just trying to give my honest opinion

ps. i saw you took the attack option from youtd, that is a cool effect :p

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
My notes about this map:

1. No timer to display when each round starts.
2. Booty is supposed to mean lives left?
3. The tower "Seagull Keeper"'s seagulls movement is choppy.
4. The multiboard layout could be better. Why does it display the player's name? (He probably knows it)
The "Count" column is touching the "Percentag" column.
5. The selection circles used as a range indicator are really really annoying.
If I have selected a tower and hover another then two selection circles are shown which
pretty much blocks the view. Even worse is if you try two pick every tower.
6. The "Shrapnel" ability doesn't seams to stun (looking in the OE, I see why).
7. Only two attack types "Magic" and "Physical", and one armor type.
8. When a guard tower is created and then upgraded the multiboard shows two guard towers entries
and the one of them shows Count = 0, the other Count = 1
9. Only the Red player's area seams to have 4 arcs of stone at the spawning location the other players have 1 [this is not really important =)].
10. Some of the towers have no indication of how much damage they deal.
When an "Arcane Injector" buffs a "Guard Tower", this is not indicated as well, at least a +x green thingy could be shown.
11. "Deleting" a tower seams to give only 5 gold, but this is not mentioned in the description of this ability.
12. The "tentacle tower has the same description as the "Tsunami Pool".

Conclusion:

I don't think the map has enough depth as of now (2011.10.04), and thus it has a very low replayability value.
I can see you've put a lot of time/effort/work (2121 saves), but I don't think a TD is a novelty gameplay even
if the mobs/creeps are moving on water.

GFreak45

Reaction score
you have to remember, this is the first released version, i havent seen any maps that lived up to their full potential in their first versions, regardless of whether or not they did in the end

Dirac

Reaction score
This map resembles no more than a "vision" of what the perfect TD looks to me like, everything missing it's inside my head.

@3. The tower "Seagull Keeper"'s seagulls movement is choppy.
>The map's T32 period is 0.6, this is to lower the amount of process the TD has to manage (8 players)
@4. The multiboard layout could be better. Why does it display the player's name? (He probably knows it)
>Since this TD aims for multiplayer all the names are displayed inside the multiboard, at single player it only displays yours
@5. The selection circles used as a range indicator are really really annoying.
>Any other method will considerably slow the TD down or be very annoying (like Element TD's rage check)
@6. The "Shrapnel" ability doesn't seams to stun (looking in the OE, I see why).
>What's "OE"? The ability seems to work for me, never the less i'll look into it
@7. Only two attack types "Magic" and "Physical", and one armor type.
>Magical armor goes through armor, physical doesn't, but it might increase if the target's armor is below 0, I don't really care for multiple armor types since no one cares about them
@8. When a guard tower is created and then upgraded the multiboard shows two guard towers entries
>This happens because the current damage log system registers damage depending on the unit type, tier 1 and tier 2 are different from each other.
@9. Only the Red player's area seams to have 4 arcs of stone at the spawning location the other players have 1 [this is not really important =)].
>The terraining is at a beta stage, only Player 1 will have "nice" terraining until considered finished.
@10. Some of the towers have no indication of how much damage they deal.
>You can find that at the tower's description (with some exceptions), but most of all you must trust in the TD's balanceness, if a tower "deals physical damage" and "has low range" and does nothing else, it dosn't really matter how much damage it deals, since it's supposed to be accord to it's price/usefulness balance.

I'm really disappointed with your conclusion, the fact that this TD has creeps swimming across watery lanes has nothing to do with novelty. The fact that makes it unique are the towers itself, which aim to be very rare and do very non-convensional tower stuff. (Like most TD towers do). This project is nowhere near final.

Dirac

Reaction score
OE - Object editor.
No wonder you thought it was broken then, that ability is only based on bash but it has nothing to do with it's actual effect. You see the ships don't use regular attacks, the stun comes from a trigger using some damage detection techniques.

GFreak45

Reaction score
have you considered using youtds range check strategy? max of 1 enabled at a time, works nice, and i see pluses and minuses to having the selection circles as range checks

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Nice td.

Came across 2 things though that I thought I might mention.
Tooltip errors, 2 of the towers under build/construct are called Tsunami Pool i think it was.
And the Destroy button, says the line for Channel, something about powerful magic or something. (I don't know if that's an error or interntional)

(Also that stun seemed alil odd, like it never hit and even though I maxed it, it seemed rather short :eek: - i might just be tired tho)

However very nice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.