Health Doctor Sanjay Gupta Publically Apologizes for being so wrong about Medical Marijuana

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
I mean, that depends on what you consider to be 'good.' Do the positives it provides outweigh the ramifications that come with its use? In most cases I've witnessed, the answer is 'yes,' so I'd say that it's good in that regard. It's no worse than television, just another source of entertainment, and the impact on one's health doesn't appear to be any worse than that of countless other things we do or ingest on a daily basis. It's not really one of those things that I'd lump into a good or bad pile, it's somewhere in between in that grayer area which is why legalizing it for recreational use has been such a struggle: no matter how much there is to support its legalization, there's still just as many of the issues that're still holding it back, and no amount of research will nullify those points. Until they have so much evidence in support of cannabis use that it outweighs and overwhelms the negative aspects of its legalization, people like myself will be stuck doing what we love in the shadows.

Legal or not, like you said, it's everyone's personal decision to use or not use. However, imagine being a businessman. Due to a good year, you and your company, as well as your businesspartners decide to celebrate. You have to show up because you are a part of the company. Unfortunatly, you can't handle alcohol and generally avoid tobacco smoke cause you tend to get headaches from tobacco smoke and it makes you feel sick. While all others are enjoying their right to intoxicate themselves, you start to feel out of place and can't quite get with the mood. This harms your relationship with fellow partners and workforce. Why can't you enjoy something less harmfull, something with less consequences? Why not enjoy a single joint for the whole evening and not feel bad about it?
I don't know, I'd personally feel like a second-class citizen if I could not make use of my right to intoxicate myself. If I had the option to intoxicate myself, it would at least make me feel better about it, without having to be paranoid about legal issues and social stigma.
See, that doctor person in the video was scared because companies would advertize it. And with a consumer oriented social structure, it would be no wonder if a lot of people would get addicted. It needs to be regulated, just as alcohol/tobacco is regulated. Other than that, I don't see why it shouldn't be legalized. You can't drink and drive, so obviously you can't smoke a joint and drive ( just incase you ever wondered ) and consuming too much of something always leads to shitstorm ( yes, food, sweats and even an overdosage of WATER can fuck you up ).

MILK:

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I once drank six litres of water in one day (I was feeling very thirsty, legit thirsty, not forced); felt my kidneys hurtin' but slept it off and felt better the next day. That was when I learned of water intoxication.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I would like to go ahead and take on the doctor's argument from the video simply because people are walking over something that is a valid argument and using fallacy to attack it. I do not like when people make logical errors in argumentation.

A: The argument goes like this:

1. Marijuana is beneficial in the treatment of many illnesses.
2. Marijuana has also been proven to negatively effect long term users (anxiety, depression, mood disorders, mental illnesses) as well as short term (reduced reaction times during use).
3. Marijuana should therefore be prescribed for use to treat illnesses and ailments (and in some cases be used as a replacement for drugs like Vicodin used in pain relief).
4. Marijuana should not be legalized because it would increase the amount of people suffering negatively from long term use.

The fallacious counter argument goes like this:

1. alcohol and tobacco are dangerous and kill more people
2. Marijuana should be legalized.

statement 1 does not lead to statement 2 logically (You have to use a fallacy to do so).

argument A is valid

B: I think that Hatebreeder has the only argument so far that offers a good reason for Marijuana to be legalized. The idea that it might subtract from some of people doing other drugs is a valid argument and therefore offers a good reason to legalize Marijuana!

HOWEVER: It must be then proven that Marijuana legalization would lower the amount of people suffering from alcohol and tobacco related deaths. I sincerely doubt that this would be the case. Most people I know that smoke Marijuana continue to drink and smoke tobacco and often times do other illegal drugs in conjunction with Marijuana.

argument B is valid if premise is tested true

C: Another valid argument would be that Marijuana enforcement is losing too much ground and that it wouldn't be possible (not enough resources) to keep it off the streets (see prohibition). The people who did get caught would be punished disproportionately to those who use it more often in many cases; and that we should not fight something that cannot be fought.

argument C is valid if premises are tested true

I don't think that Marijuana legalization would increase deaths, but I have personal experience with it effecting coworkers' mental states as well as loved ones. It is my opinion through personal experience that marijuana increases anxiety, depression, and emotional troubles in individuals who use it long term. It is also my personal observation that marijuana lowers an individual's ambition and initiative with repeated use. I believe that it changes an individual in such a minor and slow way that they cannot be the judge of it changing them. With long term use, I believe that marijuana changes the user's personality in sometimes very negative ways.

I have a lot of experience with mental illness in my family and I have realized three things.

1) people don't understand what mental illness is
2) people don't understand how bad mental illness can be
3) people have no idea how widespread mental illness is.

I believe marijuana strains mental health. If I am right on that premise--which I believe I have personal evidence to support--then I believe that it is very important to proceed with caution on legalizing marijuana.

I believe both extremes (legalizing / banning) could be very detrimental to our society. I think that we should probably try for the gray area on this topic. I do believe that argument C might end up being true; however.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
I think I understand very precisely, what it means to be mentally ill. However, long term consumption of almost anything will damage you. I personally think it's not a valid point to compare long term damage taken from drugs, since they all can cause premature death or permanent damage in one way or another.

The main question still stands unansweared: Why is there so much false information on Marijuana's medical properties?

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Just want to point out that it isn't that fallacious. 1. Alcohol and tobacco are legal drugs that can kill you. 2 Cannabis is an illegal drug that can't kill you. Looking at those two statements, something becomes quite obvious: a). The hypocrisy of our laws regarding chemical substances is glaring, and b). Either cannabis should be legal if those are, or they should be illegal because cannabis is. Where's the folly in that kind of reasoning? And if that's what you think of when hearing that, then what goes through your head?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The Fallacy here is people mixing issues. They were talking about Medical Marijuana and dumbass was talking about Legalization. One issue at a time. You mix them it confuses people.

I am excited that these debates are finally happening.

My opinion is the Federal Government should not cover Marijuana. It should be up to the states. I am not saying for or against but the US Government has overstepped its bounds for too many years.

KMilz

Reaction score
I am not saying for or against but the US Government has overstepped its bounds for too many years.

And with far too many things.

Weed might not kill you "but still it mess you up!"
Just because it can doesn't mean it will. Unless you're talking about the buzz that comes with it, but that's the whole idea, so...
And I don't really see how it could mess up your life any more than any other source of entertainment or recreational activity except for the fact that it's illegal.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Unless you're talking about the buzz that comes with it, but that's the whole idea, so...
Yes, It's all Included! So... It's not likely a natural thing for a human being like that.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Look who's talking now again. Maybe you should make "A rain dance"
It seems "marijuana is kind of a god or something." eh?

Anyway.. "Medical marijuana" I'm not against. I said it before.
But if you "don't need it" that's another matter. That's all lol

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Weed can't replace Vicodin or any actual pain killers. It's not an analgesic, you usually are just distracted from the levels of pain; in some cases it can make it significantly worse.

KMilz

Reaction score
Weed can't replace Vicodin or any actual pain killers. It's not an analgesic, you usually are just distracted from the levels of pain; in some cases it can make it significantly worse.

Those studies are done with synthetic THC, not cannabis. I'm not saying it's an analgesic, but there isn't a single study with the results you claim that's been done with inhaled cannabis smoke, which is far different from an orally ingested or intravenously injected synthetic version of only a single chemical in the plant.

OMGOMGOMG

UMBWGMG (Unidentified Human Being.)
Reaction score
This is my stance on this subject: I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!

If people use it to get high, then so be it.. They're the ones going to get them affects.
I've done a lot of study in my Drug and Alcohol thing I did this year, and the reason why people think it's bad is because the effects it has on your body. This guy called Christian came to our school and talked about why it's bad.
It fucks you up mentally to, in example (this is a true story). There was a kid in a juvenile prison that had used marijuana long-term and he is fucked in the head. He made a joke like "Why did the cow cross the road? To get milk." And then 10 minutes later, he laughed like a retard at the joke.

Medical Marijuana is a different story, as it helps more people than it hurts.

Also, if you look at the reports from alcohol and cannabis, then they cause more deaths.

There are lots of factors to be considered, and half the people just think that it's bad for you. They don't know why it's bad for you, just think it is... Well 'know' would be their terminology for it.

So, "I don't give a fuck." Also:

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
This is my stance on this subject: I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!

If people use it to get high, then so be it.. They're the ones going to get them affects.
I've done a lot of study in my Drug and Alcohol thing I did this year, and the reason why people think it's bad is because the effects it has on your body. This guy called Christian came to our school and talked about why it's bad.
It fucks you up mentally to, in example (this is a true story). There was a kid in a juvenile prison that had used marijuana long-term and he is fucked in the head. He made a joke like "Why did the cow cross the road? To get milk." And then 10 minutes later, he laughed like a retard at the joke.

Medical Marijuana is a different story, as it helps more people than it hurts.

Also, if you look at the reports from alcohol and cannabis, then they cause more deaths.

There are lots of factors to be considered, and half the people just think that it's bad for you. They don't know why it's bad for you, just think it is... Well 'know' would be their terminology for it.

I don't know how you did your study, but you left out the whole alcohol and tobacco business. I hope you get to expirience an alcoholic or a chain smoker. Those people don't just smell bad, but their mental state as well as their physical state ( as opposed to marijuana ) are in a worse shape than any marijuana addict.
Fact is, to use a drug you need 2 things: 1) the maturity and ripeness to handle the drug 2) to know your body and not push your own limits.
I know point 2) contras itself, but think of it more like consuming at a controlled pace.

If that guy laughs at the 10 minutes later, he was either stoned over his own limits or maybe he was retarded to begin with.

Anyway, please watch or read article before you just respond to the title. Same goes to FireCat.
Yes, It's all Included! So... It's not likely a natural thing for a human being like that.
It's not? Marijuana was legal for a very long time. It was used in many things. Medical Treatments, Recreational Use, Truth Serum and even in Spas. The Issue in this article is NOT about legalizing it. It's about why there are so many FALSE infomation about a DRUG, that could HELP many people with certain diseases and people in pain and NO ONE KNOWS WHY IT'S NOT LEGITIMATLY IN USE FOR CERTAIN THERAPIES. Thats all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.