Health Doctor Sanjay Gupta Publically Apologizes for being so wrong about Medical Marijuana

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It fucks you up mentally to, in example (this is a true story). There was a kid in a juvenile prison that had used marijuana long-term and he is fucked in the head. He made a joke like "Why did the cow cross the road? To get milk." And then 10 minutes later, he laughed like a retard at the joke.

Not to be a dick, but that's not a true story. Or if it is, it definitely has no direct correlation to his consumption of the drug. It's not capable of doing this.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Those studies are done with synthetic THC, not cannabis. I'm not saying it's an analgesic, but there isn't a single study with the results you claim that's been done with inhaled cannabis smoke, which is far different from an orally ingested or intravenously injected synthetic version of only a single chemical in the plant.

Let me correct that: THC is not an analgesic. There may be some other chemical compounds in natural cannabis, however they are unlikely to be very effective. There have been studies about the use of cannabis, but they weren't strictly focused on pain relief, but the general conclusion is that it acts more as a distraction if anything; but in no way is it an analgesic or an effective pain killer. You can USE it to stop pain just like if you get drunk enough it stops hurting, but obviously that is slightly more dangerous and you're going to bleed a lot more. The point being, it's not a very effective pain killer, and I would prefer to use something like Vicodin anyway because I can't get high at work, which is what is going to happen if I smoke enough weed to make myself stop hurting.

And weed can cause brain damage. Not very often, but it can, just like any other drug that has an effect on the brain. Just because it doesn't usually happen and is relatively safe doesn't mean there are no negative side effects; there definitely are.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me correct that: THC is not an analgesic. There may be some other chemical compounds in natural cannabis, however they are unlikely to be very effective. There have been studies about the use of cannabis, but they weren't strictly focused on pain relief, but the general conclusion is that it acts more as a distraction if anything; but in no way is it an analgesic or an effective pain killer. You can USE it to stop pain just like if you get drunk enough it stops hurting, but obviously that is slightly more dangerous and you're going to bleed a lot more. The point being, it's not a very effective pain killer, and I would prefer to use something like Vicodin anyway because I can't get high at work, which is what is going to happen if I smoke enough weed to make myself stop hurting.

And weed can cause brain damage. Not very often, but it can, just like any other drug that has an effect on the brain. Just because it doesn't usually happen and is relatively safe doesn't mean there are no negative side effects; there definitely are.

Especially in Adolescence. It is not so bad in adulthood but smoking weed as a kid kills your brain cells man. I did it and I have suffered the consequences for it too. Many in my family are very smart but as sometimes goes with it are a little off. I diminished my IQ some smoking pot as early as I did but it might have saved me from the freaky eccentricities of the rest of the family who did not.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
So.. I assume my lack of sleep from a young age has fucked my brain a little, too? =/

KMilz

Reaction score
I'm not saying that there are no negative effects, but brain damage isn't among them. In fact, low doses of THC have been shown to have neuroprotective qualities that halt brain damage in cases of traumatic injury causing hypoxia or seizures, or in cases of drug overdose. Just because there's altered neural development in adolescent mice subjected to THC doesn't mean it would affect humans in the same way, especially considering that mice process the chemicals with dopamine receptors and humans do it with anandamide receptors. I can't find any evidence of situations where cannabis use has caused brain damage, nor any studies that seem to provide more evidence than the one done with mice, and I think that's because there isn't any. There's a chance it could trigger some sort of mental illness or psychotic episode, but I'm pretty convinced that it doesn't have the potential to cause brain damage. That story he was told just sounded like a horror story, is all.

OMGOMGOMG

UMBWGMG (Unidentified Human Being.)
Reaction score
Not to be a dick, but that's not a true story. Or if it is, it definitely has no direct correlation to his consumption of the drug. It's not capable of doing this.

He was exposed to this drug when he was young (infant), an he was exposed to it for a very long time.

OMGOMGOMG

UMBWGMG (Unidentified Human Being.)
Reaction score
I don't know how you did your study, but you left out the whole alcohol and tobacco business. I hope you get to expirience an alcoholic or a chain smoker. Those people don't just smell bad, but their mental state as well as their physical state ( as opposed to marijuana ) are in a worse shape than any marijuana addict.
Fact is, to use a drug you need 2 things: 1) the maturity and ripeness to handle the drug 2) to know your body and not push your own limits.
I know point 2) contras itself, but think of it more like consuming at a controlled pace.

If that guy laughs at the 10 minutes later, he was either stoned over his own limits or maybe he was retarded to begin with.

Anyway, please watch or read article before you just respond to the title. Same goes to FireCat.

It's not? Marijuana was legal for a very long time. It was used in many things. Medical Treatments, Recreational Use, Truth Serum and even in Spas. The Issue in this article is NOT about legalizing it. It's about why there are so many FALSE infomation about a DRUG, that could HELP many people with certain diseases and people in pain and NO ONE KNOWS WHY IT'S NOT LEGITIMATLY IN USE FOR CERTAIN THERAPIES. Thats all.

I did say that "I don't give a fuck" right? If people want to fuck them selves up, I'm not in a position to stop them.

Varine

Reaction score
If you're going to sit there and tell me that a drug that can alter the chemistry of the brain cannot cause damage to it, you are in denial, or don't understand how it works.

KMilz

Reaction score
If you're going to sit there and tell me that a drug that can alter the chemistry of the brain cannot cause damage to it, you are in denial, or don't understand how it works.

Exercise, fatty foods and bullying all alter brain chemistry too, and as far as I know, none of those has the potential to cause brain damage, so I don't see why cannabis could definitely do it for that reason alone. I'll agree that it could have effects that could be considered as brain damage (i.e., issues with short-term memory loss and other regions of the brain high in anandamide receptors), but nothing that causes permanent damage. I don't see how it possibly could, but you're right; my understanding on the matter is damn limited. If you can explain what could be happening with the chemicals and your brain that could cause severe brain damage, I'd be really interested in learning more. Otherwise, without any sort of evidence to the contrary, I'd say that the risk is negligible.

And I don't really expect you to invest your time in an explanation, as valuable of a commodity as time can be, so don't worry about it unless you have some sort of drunken urge to do so.

Varine

Reaction score
Actually they all do to some extent (people with bullying issues often have severe social interactions issues later in life, aka sociopaths; people who eat high contents of fatty and sugary foods, not that fat is an inherently bad thing, have all sorts of weird issues; and people that exercise frequently display depressive tendencies when they fall to a period of laziness. All of these things typically fall under mental disorders and it's not uncommon, unwisely, to be given prescription medication to overcome them, despite the cause being simple and easy to deal with without such), however there is an extreme difference between naturally changing the chemical patterns based on physical and emotional stimulation, rather than induced by ingestion of a foreign compound previously unknown to the body that synthetically and directly blocks, changes, and alters the pathways, compounds, and levels of the neurorepectors and chemical systems.

And, unfortunately, I am not very drunk, but quite sober and have yet another long day ahead. Perhaps Wednesday, when I'm not looking at another few double shifts in my immediate future. Or, you know, there's Google, and a keyboard probably capable of typing long term neurological effects of Cannabis. Admittedly it's preliminary, but it's not hard to tell that someone has smoked way the fuck too much weed when you meet them. The term permafried came around for a reason.

KMilz

Reaction score
After a lot more research, I'll concede my point. Although I'm still not convinced that a reaction like was suggested could really be caused by heavy cannabis use, it seems that damage to the axonal fibers of the white matter is pretty commonplace, and in a frightening sort of way. Thanks for convincing me to look further into it.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
That time someone high up in the medical community spoke the truth about Cannabis....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.