[Documentary] Worlds Smartest Man

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm in the group of average people that thinks they are equal to or greater than their intelligent colleagues. Interesting documentary. I wonder if he really is the smartest.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
i've watched on some program that some people can literally "turn-off" some parts of their brain so that they could concentrate more on something.

they tested this by putting them under MRI while having some brain exercises.

that^ makes them different from others.

i think this applies to the man who has the best memory and the other guy called the human calculator.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
one of the most poorly done I have seen

and he seemed kinda like a duesh

though a few of his "ideas" I agreed with, I must say, most notably, the reproduction argument

Reaction score
My computer has a gig of RAM and a decent CPU. It is aging badly, but it can still hold and process more structured data than any human being and it can do it with a high degree of accuracy and speed. This does not mean, however, that it is remotely intelligent.

Sadly, IQ is currently the de facto measurement of intelligence. It is the only factor we know how to measure with any sort of accuracy, so it comes as no surprise that it is being misconstrued as some sort of "ultimate value" of the human mind. This documentary really goes to show the extent of the fallacy. Apart from having a very high IQ, nothing seems to separate this man from the garden-variety sophist. I notice he:

• Uses verbosity to obscure the inherent lack of value in his beliefs.
  • Strongly believes that the group he most identifies with should rule the world.
  • Had a "great idea" with practical applications, but "lost" his notepad and "forgot" it.
  • Judges the value of a thing based on how well it has worked in his favour.
  • Believes that freedom is not a fundamental human right and should only be extended to a "select few".
  • Is convinced he has the radical solution to all the worlds problems.

This pattern of beliefs and actions is common among quacks, flakes and David Icke fans - not among great minds. Truly towering intellects like Schopenhauer, Darwin, Tesla, Kant and Godel have so much more than rhetoric and a high IQ, and their contributions have made a mark on society that will stand the test of time.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
en-variety sophist. I notice he:

• Uses verbosity to obscure the inherent lack of value in his beliefs.
  • Strongly believes that the group he most identifies with should rule the world.
  • Had a "great idea" with practical applications, but "lost" his notepad and "forgot" it.
  • Judges the value of a thing based on how well it has worked in his favour.
  • Believes that freedom is not a fundamental human right and should only be extended to a "select few".
  • Is convinced he has the radical solution to all the worlds problems.

He is not the smartest man in the world, I find him rather dumb, if everything in that list is correct. Just because you have the highest IQ doesn't make you the smartest, sure, you can be best at math, but you can't solve the global warming problem, fix an depressed girls mind or something like that.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
> but it (PC*) can still hold and process more structured data than any human being

* Added by me.

You forget data what you passively receive from surrounding, your brain works much, much faster than your computer. Though after ten years computers will be faster than human brain (Light Speed Computers?). Actually if you observe surrounding you can see it is rendered much more accurately than any computer game. Brain processes that data quickly.

EDIT:

Getting hot woman is tricky for smart people.

EDIT2:

He has some good thoughts. Only he has no will to take action.

EDIT3:

90% of people think they are smarter than average, theory named by Christopher Langan (the smartest man) is: Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe.

Reaction score
> but it (PC*) can still hold and process more structured data than any human being

* Added by me.

You forget data what you passively receive from surrounding, your brain works much, much faster than your computer. Though after ten years computers will be faster than human brain (Light Speed Computers?). Actually if you observe surrounding you can see it is rendered much more accurately than any computer game. Brain processes that data quickly.

You are right, it was careless of me to neglect that fact.

I ought to have said "... more structured data than any human being could work with consciously." Since this mans idea of intelligence seems to be based very much on conscious ability, my point remains unchanged.

Matemeo

Reaction score
I didn't find him to be nearly intelligent as his title would make him seem.

I think IQ tests are extremely bad ways of determining human intelligence.

just my 2c.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
Actually, remember. IQ is not how smart you are but your capacity for learning new things. Someone could have 215 IQ, but if they don't use any of their thinking skills, they are no smarter then an average person.

IQ's really are kinda flawed that way, but most of the time the people with the higher IQ's really are a bit smarter at others in most subjects, keywords being "most of the time" and "most" near the end.

but this isn't about IQ, so i'll stop right there.

Anyways, I don't really have a chance to watch those documentarys, but from what I've seen from you guys he really doesn't seem all that smart.

Matemeo

Reaction score
Actually, remember. IQ is not how smart you are but your capacity for learning new things. Someone could have 215 IQ, but if they don't use any of their thinking skills, they are no smarter then an average person.

IQ's really are kinda flawed that way, but most of the time the people with the higher IQ's really are a bit smarter at others in most subjects, keywords being "most of the time" and "most" near the end.

I know what an IQ test is, but thats more the reason I can't stand peoples intelligence ranking being based on it. :cool:

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
bump.

I really enjoyed this post.

I do not claim to possess the ability to out think or reason greater than this guy, but I certainly do identify with him on many levels.

What I enjoyed most is the argument in regards to the bell curve and the typical intelligence curve of society. As long as we live in a democratic society, where supposedly everyone should have a shot at everything regardless of their intelligence, society will fail.

He says that we need to come to an agreement on human nature itself. Unfortunately, its a fact of nature that some humans have greater mental capacity than others. There is no reason to be angry about it, or give everyone equal opportunity just as a crux to satisfy the masses, but rather to accept it as human nature and allow society to move forward.

His argument on acedemia is spot on. Whenever money is presented to move an academic idea forward, everyone sticks out thier hand. In accordance with democratic philosophy, everyone should get a shot. Right?.... <sigh>

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
I watched part one and half of part two, and I couldn't take anymore. This guy is filled to the brim with bullshit:

"There is only 1 and 0, true or false" "Are you a genious?" "Probably..."
"I had a really revolutionary idea, but unfortunately I lost the paper."
"I want to put my authority on other people, forcefully if need be." "Who said I seeked a violent enviroment?"

For a guy with a high IQ he's pretty good at contradicting himself :rolleyes:
Granted, had he taken an education he would probably have made breaktroughs in whatever field his education had applied, but he didn't, and the last thing this world needs is a super smart leisure philosophist.

And for the record, the highest IQ ever registered is 228 and belongs to some lady, Marilyn something. And that result came from the same test as he took, if my memory serves me right.

And let's not forget that most savants and people with severe autism has a generic IQ above 200.

Lastly, as he pointed out, those test varies from test to test and let me also point out that IQ is not a static term anymore, but can be increased by training. IQ means absolutely nothing, with proper learning everbody can become genious', on a neurobiological plan we all inherit the same brain, thus we're all capable of becoming Einsteins.

End of rant :D

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
I agree. Honestly, this guy is so full of himself it's sickening. Sure he's good at math and spatial reasoning, but that doesn't make him an expert on creating the perfect society. His opinion on the matter is just as good (or bad in this case) as anyone else's. How can you take someone seriously who says freedom is not a right? Sure he attempts to rationalize this belief, but in the end it is simply him trying to elevate himself above everyone else. He says he doesn't think he is better than anyone else, but clearly he does.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
These videos give Mr. Langan a very poor impression. I do believe he's very intelligent, but I believe he's too arrogant. He's both mentally and physically strong. Thus no one had a chance to humble him as a child. So, his flaw is that he's too smart and too strong, I guess.

He also contradicted himself. Like in the 1 and 0 theory, there's no maybes or buts. In a feeble attempt to humble himself, he claimed, "I'm probably a genius." It didn't work.

Then he recalled that he had a piece of paper that had the blueprints to the secrets of true AI, but it disappeared. This is bullcrap. I'm sorry, Mr. Langan. Until you prove you're a genius, we can not believe this story. It's only a mere tale, which is good for grandchildren not strangers.

The man is intelligent, no doubt. He's socially stupid like nerdy people are highly stereotyped to be. And this is why he can not flourish in our world. We don't accept people who tell-tales without providing evidence. We want more proof!

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I didn't find anything about him that seemed to be really out of the ordinary. The only real thing that stuck out to me, was that he had a way with words, and he seemed to believe in what he was saying strongly. He had thought his ideas through.

I watched part one and half of part two, and I couldn't take anymore. This guy is filled to the brim with bullshit:

"There is only 1 and 0, true or false" "Are you a genious?" "Probably..."

Probably implies that believes it is true, but does not know for sure. The same is true for 'maybe' and 'possibly'. This was actually one of the things he said that I found truth to. He said that yes, he is a genius, by society's definition, but as for what the idea of a genius is (extremely intelligent, revolutionary ideas, etc), he's not sure.

What I enjoyed most is the argument in regards to the bell curve and the typical intelligence curve of society. As long as we live in a democratic society, where supposedly everyone should have a shot at everything regardless of their intelligence, society will fail.

QFT.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Added to Documentaries Index!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.