Does hashtable leaks?

polo2005

Wana start playing LoL? http://tinyurl.com/369as27
Reaction score
I couldn't really find a decent clear hashtable tut for gui users, so i got to ask, does hashtable leaks if i overwrite a value that i have stored?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't really find a decent clear hashtable tut for gui users, so i got to ask, does hashtable leaks if i overwrite a value that i have stored?

As far as i know it does if you dont clear the childhashtable before overwriting it.

To be honest, i dont work with the editor anymore and i never really used hashtables but this is what i was told.

polo2005

Reaction score
well, i have stopped using world edit, but i got a request of a friend :p
and sincei never rly used hashtables in wc3 i though it was a good way to waste time :p

ontopic again:

can someone confirm if you need to clear childhashtables before overwriting them again?

keychup

Reaction score
If you clear data from a hashtable, how will you ever call for the variable in your other triggers? isn't that the point of hashtables anyway? So that triggers can refer to the same data?

And btw, you can try clearing all child from the key parent. i don't think tuts saw that they had to explain something as plain as what can be read.

polo2005

Reaction score
you missed my point, lets say i save my gold in hashtable as 0 0 in MyHashtableTest, and then 30min later, i store my new current gold as 0 0 in MyHashtableTest, would this cause a leak?

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
no, what causes leaks is handles being lost in the ram, and thats caused by a trigger running its course without removing any handles in the local variables, because they are still referenced, the issue with leaks in hashtables is say when you have a hashtable with data saved like this:
Trigger:
  • Hashtable - Save Unit SomeUnit as (Key SomeOtherUnit) of 0 in last created hashtable

then SomeOtherUnit dies and his handle is recycled, but there was a reference off that unit to another unit, that way "SomeUnit's" isnt recycled until the game uses the same exact handle it used for SomeOtherUnit again, and even then you would have to clear the new units hashtable, it basically winds up making a leak that "can" be removed but is very unlikely

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
In GFreak's example, I think 0 is the parent and (Key SomeOtherUnit) is the child. So to clear it you would clear all child hashtables of 0.

Or at least that's what I think. My knowledge of hashtables is confined mostly to using them.

keychup

Reaction score
Then that means you can't simpley clear all children right? some may stop using it but others still are.

Dirac

Reaction score
Actually GFreak is both right and wrong, what mainly causes the leak is the creation of handles and leaving them loose around.
Basically the reason of why GUI groups leak, the editor creates it for enumeration, but when the variable is replaced and the previous group still exists, but no variable reffers to it so no one can ever destroy it now, piling it with the rest of non-destroyed groups, locations etc.
Doesn't have the same effect on units since unit handles are automatically recycled when the unit is removed or it's decay time ends.
"Hashtables" per se do leak
If you create 1 hashtable per spell you'll end up filling your ram of hashtables, they occupy a space in your RAM just by existing there, as well as anything does, the issue comes down when they pile up.
Clearing a child hashtable doesn't clear leaks, it might even cause them.

keychup

Reaction score
Would this be appropriate?
420239_10150748753388574_770333573_12399247_176211340_n.jpg

As you can see i am implementing a single hashtable for moving units and another for other abilities. I have incorporated up to 2 abilities into the zz_movement_hashtable and 5 abilities into zz_ability_hashtable. Would this help prevent leaks?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Using one hashtable should be sufficient for most maps. Rather than using integers, you should use the (Key String) function. With integers you need a reference list to remember what refers to what; replacing them with things like (Key MovementAngle), (Key MovementTime), (Key MovementDistance) etc. lets you easily remember what they point to.

GFreak45

Reaction score
Actually GFreak is both right and wrong, what mainly causes the leak is the creation of handles and leaving them loose around.
~snip~
Doesn't have the same effect on units since unit handles are automatically recycled when the unit is removed or it's decay time ends.
"Hashtables" per se do leak.
~snip~

i did not realize that, i thought the handle remained as long as it was referenced somewhere, i guess thats a difference in GUI and Jass leaks, since GUI doesnt use locals, but i do think i got the main point accross... and ya, 1-2 hashtables is the most that should be used because they do take up extra space, Dota uses 2 currently and that is a very extensive game, the only reason to use more than 2 is for intensive systems, ie: Threat Systems, cast systems, etc, where many many units are recorded at once and you need both (Key Unit_1) of (Key Unit_2) and (Key Unit_2) of (Key Unit_1) in the same system and need it in another

and instead of using (Key String), create an integer variable called, say... Hash_Key_MovementAngle and just make sure it has a unique integer so u dont reference the same parent/child at once with 2 different systems, integers are more efficient than String handle calls because they actually call a function

Dirac

Reaction score
With vJass you only need 1 hashtable, doesn't matter how much use you give to it
And yes, sadly locals cause leaks, if you don't null them. The reason is that handle references do have a small impact on RAM storage, very small though, but locals are generated every time the function is called, and more and more references remain. Doesn't happen with globals because they are declared at initialization, you can't create a global during the game.

GUI -> Very hard to avoid leaks, LOTS of ram usage, LOTS of code size, LOTS of time wasted clicking OK buttons, LOTS of speed loss caused by heavy hashtable usage and timer spamming
vJass -> Avoiding leaks is easy, minimal ram usage, reduce code size considerably, saves you a lot of time by coding by your typing speed and using fully functional, speedyfreakish, pre-existed systems developed by other people online..... for free, also a vJass map runs at least 1500% times faster

It would be a fool that who denies to learn JASS IMO, no matter how "hard" it looks from your point of view, you can learn it in less than a few sessions

GFreak45

Reaction score
i just wish that JNGP was getting updated more frequently, there are a few changes that would be nice, ie: expanding textmacros before modules and then static ifs after those, however at the moment i believe it's static ifs -> modules -> textmacros
eventhough textmacros are the most customizeable
if you could do it in the reverse order you could make WAY more versatile systems
or if you could take variable arguments or array arguments like in C++ rather than just flat value arguements
I do aggree with you that everyone should use vJass but 12% of people who own computers own macs, and JNGP doesnt work on Macs (idk about JH) which presents problems for a lotta people (like smitty)

Dirac

Reaction score
I have a Mac and I installed Windows XP through Bootcamp.
Silly impediments people hold on to not to learn vJass
And don't misjudge, I coded in GUI for a long time (Just search for my ChainHook spell)

And no, currently the compiler does this
module -> textmacro -> static if
So you can declare static ifs inside modules or textmacros to check if things exist where the user runs/places them. (Just read my Missile library or Nes's Unit Indexer)
It would be cool to take arrays for an argument, but it cant be done. The compiler isn't a language itself

GFreak45

Reaction score
i know but its just a wish >.<
guess were stuck using Interfaces
and i was more concerned with the module -> textmacro as that held me back a while back ago with a system i was working on for my rpg

Dirac

Reaction score
There's always a way to avoid interfaces, no matter how ugly the API looks like.
are you sure that textmacros compile after modules? It's also a possibility that they compile at the same time in linear order (if there's a textmacro above a module then it should compile first)

GFreak45

Reaction score
that was Per Nest and Luorax (if my memory isnt failing hard, which is totally feasible)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.